Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

Tarmander

I'm surprised Grant does not take this opportunity to do additional blood testing. I know he says that it's not possible in Canada, but he could travel to the United States and order almost any test he wants. With all the time and effort he has put into this theory, it seems like it would be worth the time and money to test more markers to understand what a zero Vitamin A diet is doing. Serum Retinyl Palmitate, retinol binding protein, and any steroids would be very interesting.
Yeah I would like to know what his T levels are.

Amazoniac

I was thinking if it could be possible to harbor bacteria that can synthesize carotenes (it happens in nature) and the immune system somehow allow these to grow in the intestines or skin to make up to some extent for what diet isn't providing (like it occurs with other nutrients). Chances aren't great..

- Synthesis of β‐Carotene and Other Important Carotenoids with Bacteria
- b-Carotene–Producing Bacteria Residing in the Intestine Provide Vitamin A to Mouse Tissues In Vivo

Yeah, I find it remarkable that he was able to push it this far having such a low level (in spite of the unusual metabolism due to his condition), which is comparable to those from the termination of Sauberlich's experiment:

upload_2019-8-13_17-9-32.png

I haven't verified if the values are correct.​

Last edited:

postman

I went back on an ultra-low VA diet, meaning more like Grant's diet (actually even less VA than his diet) rather than Garret's diet. It's crazy how powerful this is for lowering inflammation, and eating low amounts of it vs eating almost none of it makes a huge difference too. It's more powerfully anti-inflammatory than aspirin, thyroid, PUFA depletion etc.

The theory that the reason it causes all these problems is only because it's an unsaturated molecule must be wrong, because it is so much more inflammatory than PUFAs, for people in this state.

I started sneezing too after just a few days, and I started having patches of red irritated skin again. But that doesn't bother me at all compared to all the symptoms it helps to remedy.

Mito

I went back on an ultra-low VA diet, meaning more like Grant's diet (actually even less VA than his diet) rather than Garret's diet. It's crazy how powerful this is for lowering inflammation, and eating low amounts of it vs eating almost none of it makes a huge difference too. It's more powerfully anti-inflammatory than aspirin, thyroid, PUFA depletion etc.
That seems to be almost like an autoimmune type reaction to VA (similar to gluten with Celiac)?

Cirion

PUFA seems to be something that creeps up on you. A day here a day there doesn't seem to be huge at least if you're not overly PUFA toxic to begin with. The effects they do have sometimes aren't reflected until your waking temperatures the next morning, for example. Maybe you feel a little extra tired waking up that day. You don't make the connection that it's PUFA, but I have because I've been tracking these things for 5+ months now. I've noticed a similar effect from animal products. Many people have told me I'm crazy when animal products crash your metabolism, but I have the data to prove this also. But, you often don't get the effects - once again - until the NEXT day, which is why this can be misleading to lots of folk. Keep in mind you have to make a fair one to one comparison too. I guarantee if you eat 50 gram of PUFA in a day you'll feel it probably nearly immediately in that case, even before the next morning, much like how you'll feel eating liver immediately if you're VA sensitive due to its 100,000 or so IU. I hardly think PUFA is the only factor to health (It's not) but it's definitely one of them.

gaze

PUFA seems to be something that creeps up on you. A day here a day there doesn't seem to be huge at least if you're not overly PUFA toxic to begin with. The effects they do have sometimes aren't reflected until your waking temperatures the next morning, for example. Maybe you feel a little extra tired waking up that day. You don't make the connection that it's PUFA, but I have because I've been tracking these things for 5+ months now. I've noticed a similar effect from animal products. Many people have told me I'm crazy when animal products crash your metabolism, but I have the data to prove this also. But, you often don't get the effects - once again - until the NEXT day, which is why this can be misleading to lots of folk. Keep in mind you have to make a fair one to one comparison too. I guarantee if you eat 50 gram of PUFA in a day you'll feel it probably nearly immediately in that case, even before the next morning, much like how you'll feel eating liver immediately if you're VA sensitive due to its 100,000 or so IU. I hardly think PUFA is the only factor to health (It's not) but it's definitely one of them.

I wonder how much of the reaction comes from knowing what you ate. For example, if someone ate 50g of pufa 100% believing that they are eating something healthy how much it would affect them. I think for any of us eating pufa would crash us not only cause of its toxicity, but also our mindset and all the knowledge we’ve built up, which throws us into. a negative feedback loop if we knowingly eat it. this isn’t to say those people who say “it’s all in your head” are right, because most americans health is in shambles. but to a degree the day to day fluctuations do seem to involve mindset if a healthy diet is eaten most of the time

Ihor

That is what I was thinking too. Much of the research on vitamin A is extremely flawed in many ways. Not sure if you have been reading much of the last few pages, but there is push back on detox - that symptoms people experience when reintroducing carotenoids or vitamin A can't be detox or that cycles of feeling good then bad aren't detox either. Seems to me they talk alot about the liver and its capacity but I don't hear much about the detox of fat tissue or any other tissue that can store A and carotenoids.

editing to add: "science" gets things wrong often, even things spanning decades. Examples include pesticides and vaccines.
This is exactly what I experience when I reintroduce vitamin A compounds, because after some time on a low A diet, detox stops. If we accept the theory of detoxification, then I think there is some point when a crowded A person ceases to effectively lose Vit A, this happens when he has already dropped a little, and the rest, while additional Vitamin A does not come from outside, he delays for the future use and waiting for the arrival of cofactors such as vitamin D, E, calcium or protein, calories, and when a person injects vitamin A again, this cycle goes on a new one.
So in this theory, if you are on a diet and reach the point of delay and adding cofactors, you will have to stay or add some vitamin A so that the body stops thinking that there is a deficiency in the diet and continues to shed excess or add cofactors, or the last option is to rely on and wait for it to be exhausted after a long half-life (200 days as discussed) like Grant's, but then the detox itself will be slowed down, but a combination of all these things is possible. Of all this, it seems critical to me precisely the moment when the body’s ability to process retinol was exceeded and, as Grant's writes, he damaged the very DNA, which in the future, even in the absence of retinol and in the presence of cofactors and relatively remodeled tissues, will synthesize defective proteins, therefore that once proper processing algorithms themselves were violated.
I doubt that it is the fat tissue that plays one of the central roles, before before Peats I ate a lot of this damn liver and other other foods with high A, I took retinol for several years and during all these periods and now I have always been thin and a little muscular and had very little fat.
So I agree that a lot of research considers the problem of vitamin A from only one limited point of view, and by the way, like my reasoning about it, too.

Vinero

The theory that the reason it causes all these problems is only because it's an unsaturated molecule must be wrong, because it is so much more inflammatory than PUFAs, for people in this state.

I started sneezing too after just a few days, and I started having patches of red irritated skin again. But that doesn't bother me at all compared to all the symptoms it helps to remedy.
Which foods did you drop when going from Garrets diet to Grants diet?

gaze

does anyone know if vitamin A has a oxidation temperature given that it’s unsaturated or does it not oxidize in the same way as a unsaturated fat does

postman

Which foods did you drop when going from Garrets diet to Grants diet?
All the foods that are in the 10-50 IU range basically. So all fruit, although I could probably eat lychees and nashi pears but they are very expensive where I live, and the quality is quite bad. Cacao, mushrooms. I'm eating elk rather than beef.

Vinero

All the foods that are in the 10-50 IU range basically. So all fruit, although I could probably eat lychees and nashi pears but they are very expensive where I live, and the quality is quite bad. Cacao, mushrooms. I'm eating elk rather than beef.
Interesting. Aren't you worried that dropping stuff like fruits will reduce your glucaric acid? Dr Garret Smith thinks that it's really important for getting rid of retinoic acid that's why he created a superfood list. Apples and cauliflower and many fruits are on the top of that list so that's why I include one serving at least of a superfood daily. Also mushrooms have zero vitamin A. Cacao makes me feel bad and increases my detox symptoms considerably.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Interesting. Aren't you worried that dropping stuff like fruits will reduce your glucaric acid? Dr Garret Smith thinks that it's really important for getting rid of retinoic acid that's why he created a superfood list. Apples and cauliflower and many fruits are on the top of that list so that's why I include one serving at least of a superfood daily. Also mushrooms have zero vitamin A. Cacao makes me feel bad and increases my detox symptoms considerably.
Is beef on the superfood list?

B

Braveheart

Please...Where's the list?

postman

Not really. Grant only ate rice and beef and got well on that. Garret Smith has many strange ideas. If I thought glucaric acid was so important I would probably eat cauliflower yes, or maybe take it as a supplement. Some energy drinks have it as well. Mushrooms have about 10mcg per 100g, but really it also depends on how much light and what type of light they received. Garret's food list has many errors btw, he says many whole grains and spices and legumes and sprouts are fine but they have plenty of carotenoids.

Tarmander

Not really. Grant only ate rice and beef and got well on that. Garret Smith has many strange ideas. If I thought glucaric acid was so important I would probably eat cauliflower yes, or maybe take it as a supplement. Some energy drinks have it as well. Mushrooms have about 10mcg per 100g, but really it also depends on how much light and what type of light they received. Garret's food list has many errors btw, he says many whole grains and spices and legumes and sprouts are fine but they have plenty of carotenoids.
Grant has five things he eats with an occasional apple: Beef, Rice, Black beans, water, salt

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals