Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

thomas200

What are you eating on low A?

protein:
ground beef (i drain the fat out with paper towels)
egg white
chicken breast

carbs:
oatmeal
brown rice
white potato

i cook egg whites w/ olive oil, season everything with pink salt.

I get like that when I've had too much rice. Maybe it's from the aluminum, I don't know. I don't want to eat rice any more.

yeah recently i've been eating much more rice. I'll try lowering the amount and see if it helps

thomas200

High fat intake aggravates my symptoms for some reason, so I try to get as much fat out of the beef as I can

postman

Same, I can do Rice for 3 days or so in a row before I need to switch to potatoes...if I stick with rice I start to feel strange.
Very interesting. I wonder if more people have experienced this. I recently read that aluminum is a metalloestrogen

Zack Jack

@thomas200
If that is all you are eating you are likely going to be deficient in other nutrients. (Hard to say for sure without knowing your calorie intake, have you tried using Cronometer?)

In particular Folate, Choline, Vit. E, Vit. K and Calcium. (also Vit. C so its good you are supplementing)

Some ideas:

Folate & Choline: Legumes i.e. Black Beans, Romano, Pinto, Navy, Great Northern & White Kidney. (Properly prepared, ie. soaked, rinsed and ideally pressure cooked, or use canned & rinse)

Alternatively for Choline you can get it partially from Betaine/TMG: Quinoa, Wheat/Rye & Red Beets in particular - or supplement

Vit. E - Almonds or Sunflower seeds are the most concentrated -- or supplement?...with "natural" E w/ mixed tocopherols

Vit. K - Difficult to get without allowing small amounts of carotenoids... (Olive oil provides some, Chicken might provide a decent amount of K2 but varies a lot)

Celeriac, Cashews, Parsnips, Kidney Beans & Cauliflower provide some while very low in carotenoids

Cabbage, Yellow Beans, Kiwi, Blueberries & Cucumber are other options that are still relatively low in carotenoids.

Supplement might be worth considering?....

Calcium - Legumes again (canned beans often have added calcium chloride as well)
Sesame Seeds/Tahini & Almonds (Not the best absorption (~20%) as some of the calcium is oxalates)

Also: Iodine - without seafood, seaweed, dairy or iodized salt you might not be getting enough (it is highly variable in foods)
Kelp powder is a good option IMO despite containing carotenoids because the dosage is so small ie. ~100-200mg or ~1/16 tsp

Personally I think its better to eat a diet with slightly higher "A" content that covers all your nutritional needs than a very-low "A" diet that is otherwise deficient.

Also I'm basing all of this on the USDA database, I think its important to keep in mind that nutrient content of foods varies significantly so you can't know anything for certain, especially from a single database.

Yi at LDT

If I eat rice in the morning, I'm gone for the day. Hits me really hard. There's not just aluminum but high levels of inorganic arsenic and lead too. then there's the effect on hormones, possibly? no doubt, brown rice is worse than white.

High fat does the exact same for me as other people have mentioned. Very noticeable and 100% repeatable. the odd thing is if I have a lot of fat followed by a detox response in the morning, I usually feel awesome from lunch onwards. could just be insulin sensitive from a low carb breakfast too.

Grant expressed some regret in not incorporating fat into his diet as he believes it should speed up Vitamin A depletion. I'm going to try taking some zeolite with a high fat meal tomorrow and see if anything changes. zeolite has been really helpful for me recently. Grant mentioned charcoal as possibly being helpful however I feel it affects the strength on my digestion and reduces nutritional quality of meals eaten.

it may sound silly, but I feel myself be more of an introvert
skin's sebum decreases a lot
scalp gets pretty itchy and hair sheds more than usual
anxiety
and I just feel downright sad, not depression or anything, but I get some intense mood swings

My detox symptoms are pretty much identical and are very real. I find it gets a lot worse when I go REALLY low VA or eat lots of fats. however the fats always give a great after effect is that makes sense. there's definitely a sweet spot for me..

My experimentation with adding in carotenoids, liver, retinyl palmitate etc. is absolutely done.

thomas200

If I eat rice in the morning, I'm gone for the day. Hits me really hard. There's not just aluminum but high levels of inorganic arsenic and lead too. then there's the effect on hormones, possibly? no doubt, brown rice is worse than white.

High fat does the exact same for me as other people have mentioned. Very noticeable and 100% repeatable. the odd thing is if I have a lot of fat followed by a detox response in the morning, I usually feel awesome from lunch onwards. could just be insulin sensitive from a low carb breakfast too.

Grant expressed some regret in not incorporating fat into his diet as he believes it should speed up Vitamin A depletion. I'm going to try taking some zeolite with a high fat meal tomorrow and see if anything changes. zeolite has been really helpful for me recently. Grant mentioned charcoal as possibly being helpful however I feel it affects the strength on my digestion and reduces nutritional quality of meals eaten.

My detox symptoms are pretty much identical and are very real. I find it gets a lot worse when I go REALLY low VA or eat lots of fats. however the fats always give a great after effect is that makes sense. there's definitely a sweet spot for me..

My experimentation with adding in carotenoids, liver, retinyl palmitate etc. is absolutely done.

i've found that having very little fat or too much fat in my diet makes me feel terrible, Im still struggling to find a balance. I use brown rice because it's easier on the insulin resistance. im 17 and still going through hormonal changes and I get acne flare ups with too much sugar or starch in my diet.

I see zeolite flying around a lot on these forums, but honestly I'm absolutely done with supplements after my VA incident. after i heal i will never use a supplement again in my life other than C

Yi at LDT

That's your choice, and your absolutely entitled to it. It really depends on our goals and ideals, everyone's is different. I estimate spending well over $10,000 thousands trying a wide range of supplements. I can say unequivocally that 80% did more harm then good and ended up sitting in a draw opened and hardly used. I have no regrets at all!

I have found tremendous, noticeable blood sugar improvements with bitter melon (food in many countries) and brewers yeast. Bitter melon really is day and night, it's unreal.

have you checked out the separating fats and carbs thread?

thomas200

anxiety
and I just feel downright sad, not depression or anything, but I get some intense mood swings

oh and another important symptom i'd like to mention
the tips of my fingers and toes become super cold... its strange

thomas200

@Yi at LDT i'll look into the bitter melon, thank you for the idea

I honestly havent checked out any thread besides this one for now lol, but that'd be a good idea as well

Yi at LDT

I really can't say enough good things about it. it's been a surprise to say the least! You should be able to buy the whole food from some bigger grocerie stores and asian supermarkets. I really like the extracts.

Grant mentioned via email that his big focus at the moment/then was the blood sugar, insulin VA connection. I wouldn't doubt it to be the focus of his next article

thomas200

@Yi at LDT I have a whole foods market nearby, i'll be sure to look for bitter melon when I get the chance and give my feedback on it

I also forgot to mention that I dilute 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg's brand) in a cup of water before breakfast, and before dinner. Not only does it help stabilize blood sugar, but as quoted,

"ACV works to detoxify your liver for better overall health and bodily functions. Also, it helps build a healthy lymphatic system that nurtures proper circulation of lymph. This is the body’s garbage disposal."

10 Incredible Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

thomas200

@thomas200
If that is all you are eating you are likely going to be deficient in other nutrients. (Hard to say for sure without knowing your calorie intake, have you tried using Cronometer?)

In particular Folate, Choline, Vit. E, Vit. K and Calcium. (also Vit. C so its good you are supplementing)

Some ideas:

Folate & Choline: Legumes i.e. Black Beans, Romano, Pinto, Navy, Great Northern & White Kidney. (Properly prepared, ie. soaked, rinsed and ideally pressure cooked, or use canned & rinse)

Alternatively for Choline you can get it partially from Betaine/TMG: Quinoa, Wheat/Rye & Red Beets in particular - or supplement

Vit. E - Almonds or Sunflower seeds are the most concentrated -- or supplement?...with "natural" E w/ mixed tocopherols

Vit. K - Difficult to get without allowing small amounts of carotenoids... (Olive oil provides some, Chicken might provide a decent amount of K2 but varies a lot)

Celeriac, Cashews, Parsnips, Kidney Beans & Cauliflower provide some while very low in carotenoids

Cabbage, Yellow Beans, Kiwi, Blueberries & Cucumber are other options that are still relatively low in carotenoids.

Supplement might be worth considering?....

Calcium - Legumes again (canned beans often have added calcium chloride as well)
Sesame Seeds/Tahini & Almonds (Not the best absorption (~20%) as some of the calcium is oxalates)

Also: Iodine - without seafood, seaweed, dairy or iodized salt you might not be getting enough (it is highly variable in foods)
Kelp powder is a good option IMO despite containing carotenoids because the dosage is so small ie. ~100-200mg or ~1/16 tsp

Personally I think its better to eat a diet with slightly higher "A" content that covers all your nutritional needs than a very-low "A" diet that is otherwise deficient.

Also I'm basing all of this on the USDA database, I think its important to keep in mind that nutrient content of foods varies significantly so you can't know anything for certain, especially from a single database.

K2 - I've been eating around 10-12 oz of chicken breast daily up until recently

For calcium - I do egg shells every now and then, maybe once a week

vitamin E - has been a challenge, i haven't been taking any vitamin e since the start of this diet

Folate & Choline - I was actually adding black beans to my shopping list for my next trip. I've heard positive results from anyone who's tried them, so why not give it a shot

Iodine - I may be getting some of this from pink salt, but I guess i'll just push through 2 more months without it until I'm off the diet.

I confident that i'll be fully detoxed in 2 months because I am seeing progress like never before ever since I started getting more sunshine, vitamin c, exercising a lot, and taking in much less vitamin A

I'm also supplementing on B vitamins around once a week.
I take 1000 MG of Vitamin C every day

Thanks for the lookout, I was pretty anxious about not getting enough of the right nutrients until I started doing my own research because I was a complete newbie (still am)

I think i'll be fine without a lot of K,E, and others. I see great progress as it is and haven't had any signs of vitamin deficiencies...... yet

InChristAlone

I can't remember what side effects you got from adding back in VA what made you go back to low VA?

anxiety
Interesting. I've only been consistent for 2 days. The first thing I noticed was my lips were moisturized again. My girlfriend was like wow your lips are not dry! I was so elated :woot:

I noticed some other minor changes but Im not sure if those are placebo so I will keep my mouth shut for now.

Im going to stick to it for a minimum of 6 months and will report how I feel on this thread in the coming months.

Yi at LDT

I can't remember what side effects you got from adding back in VA what made you go back to low VA?

So for me I really noticed a sedating effect from both high carotenoids and retinyl palmitate. The coratenoids made me feel far more delirius and gave me a rash whereas the retinol, 5000IU topical, was more of a relaxing sedation. For the next few days after the retinol my mimd felt less clear and more unsettled. More restless which is unusual for me. A few days after the dose I came down with a 'cold'. That really got me as I had really bad cold symptoms much worse then this in the first week I started eating low vitamin A. I do not believe this cold was a coincidence amd I actually recall another person on the thread posting a similar experience after experimenting with adding VA back in.

It's worth noting that the majority of my health troubles relate to mood, focus and fatigue. So I don't have too many objective measurable parameters like psoriasis or bloating etc.

The reason I have not continued is that i did not find ANY benefit (besides maybe a deep nights sleep?) in adding them back in and I do believe the cold was a result of the retinol. personally I think it can be a tricky thing to add VA back in as detox symptoms in my experience drop as the liver goes back into storage/scavenging mode. Moreso with VA then carotenoids in my opinion.

Not eating liver, dairy, colorful fruits and vegetables etc. just makes sense and feels right to me on many levels. It also makes eating simple. I almost expected miraculous results from adding retinol back in with a low carotenoid intake. I thought the carotenoids were the problem. That is not what I got at all.

I may try this once more, but only once. Just to be certain. Half the dose.

Yi at LDT

I think Grant is right in that initial response can be really positive and that subsequent detox cycles can be more toxic. It cam be very confusing and concerning. I thought this might have been resolved by adding back pure VA. Maybe it is essential after all.

IT WAS NOT.