Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

Jabuger

Forum Supporter
@Jabuger Do you think there is a difference in hepatic absorption through butter versus fat-free dairy products?
To my understanding I don’t think it matters what the source of retinol is too much as it’s going to be taken up by the liver after it enters the blood stream. I don’t think fat free dairy products have much retinol but Grant has argued that the protein in dairy products bind to retinoic acid and claims this is why rats died in these VA deficient diets as they weren’t actually deficient.

Also retinol in certain products may degrade to retinoic acid and or anhydroretinol (which is potently toxic) so I’d say the safest source of retinol if you think it is necessary would be eggs. I’d just like to say my knowledge is limited so I wouldn’t direct your questions at me (I’m a noob).

DanDare

Forum Supporter
Biochemical but not clinical vitamin A deficiency results from mutations in the gene for retinol binding protein

Interesting case study, not much info though.

“Interestingly, intestinal absorption of retinyl esters was normal”

“The genetic defect induced severe biochemical vitamin A deficiency but only mild clinical symptoms (night blindness and a modest retinal dystrophy without effects on growth).

Conclusions: We conclude that the cellular supply of vitamin A to target tissues might be bypassed in these siblings via circulating retinyl esters, beta-carotene, or retinoic acid, thereby maintaining the health of peripheral tissues.”

This conclusion is based on assumptions which are incorrect