Grandmother memory loss.

Hello everyone, so I live with my grandmother and I have to take care of her as her memory is terrible. She’ll ask me the same thing 5 times in the same few minutes. She grows more irrational every day. I have to pretty much babysit her. So I besides diet what would you all recommend to try and improve her memory? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

redsun

Hello everyone, so I live with my grandmother and I have to take care of her as her memory is terrible. She’ll ask me the same thing 5 times in the same few minutes. She grows more irrational every day. I have to pretty much babysit her. So I besides diet what would you all recommend to try and improve her memory? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Likely low acetylcholine activity, and oxidative stress (typical in aging) negatively affecting brain function as a whole. B-complex vitamins, plenty of fruit should help promote antioxidant function (glutathione recycling) and brain activity.

Diet: Feed her a lot of eggs. If you can get it, buy beef brains. Similar to eggs in that they are filled with choline but they are also packed with vital brain nutrients. High zinc foods like red meat and dairy are also going to help since zinc improves Ach receptor function and sensitivity. Fatty ground beef should be easy for her to eat.

What's her diet like normally?

Elie

Forum Supporter
Low Dose Lithium perhaps as per Haidut's post

StephanF

Forum Supporter
My mom’s mental health declined around 2009 or 2010. She had a caretaker living with her. I read about the amazing recovery from Alzheimer’s using coconut oil, so I talked to her caretaker to administer that, a tablespoon every day, I think. In addition, she took D3 as prescribed by her physician and then I got her Ceraplex and Prevagen and it stopped the decline and improved her mental function, the caretaker noticed a big difference.

Unfortunately, my mom passed away in January of 2013 after receiving a blood transfusion due to a bleeding ulcer. Right after the transfusion she had two severe strokes and passed away. This has to do with the blood’s Zeta Potential, I posted on this topic several times here on this forum. Blood transfusions are very dangerous!

Zeta Aid is what I should have added to the supplements. It may be protective against Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s and may have prevented the strokes and her death, she was 87 years old.

You can also go to swansonvitamins.com and search for supplements for memory or brain functions. That’s where I read customers’ replies about Prevagen. Customers also rate the various supplements, so this is a very good resource!

tankasnowgod

Low Dose Lithium perhaps as per Haidut's post

I'd agree with the low dose lithium. It's very cheap, and safe. Pregnenolone would probably also be a good option, as well as extra cholesterol in the diet. I've also seen good reports from added coconut oil in the diet. All these things are pro-metabolic, so some extra sugar/calories in the diet would probably be needed as well.

Sugartits

I was my grandfather's caretaker for about 6 years, and I think his dementia may have been related to (or triggered by) the medicines he was on, mainly gabapentin. I had to be on it for a recent surgery because it blocks nerve pain, but I got off of it as quickly as I could. If something interferes with nerve signaling, to me it makes sense that the nerves in the brain could be affected by it over time.

I already have brain issues, I suspect that I sort of lobotomized myself as a child. You know how they used to do lobotomies with an ice pick, shoving it into the front of the brain through an eye socket? My poor schizophrenic great grandma had it done to her. Anyways, when I was three we were in a store where they had socks hanging on those curved metal rods, and when I bent down to pick up a pair of socks a rod went right through my eyelid and into the socket. It hooked onto something and I thrashed around like a fish until they unhooked me. I had plastic surgeries to fix the eyelid (my eyeball was somehow fine), but nobody ever checked to see if I had jabbed my wee brain. I have impaired memory and concentration, a learning disability, awkward social skills, and high anxiety. I can't blame it on the metal rod, but I can't really rule it out either!

Elie

Forum Supporter
I was my grandfather's caretaker for about 6 years, and I think his dementia may have been related to (or triggered by) the medicines he was on, mainly gabapentin. I had to be on it for a recent surgery because it blocks nerve pain, but I got off of it as quickly as I could. If something interferes with nerve signaling, to me it makes sense that the nerves in the brain could be affected by it over time.

I already have brain issues, I suspect that I sort of lobotomized myself as a child. You know how they used to do lobotomies with an ice pick, shoving it into the front of the brain through an eye socket? My poor schizophrenic great grandma had it done to her. Anyways, when I was three we were in a store where they had socks hanging on those curved metal rods, and when I bent down to pick up a pair of socks a rod went right through my eyelid and into the socket. It hooked onto something and I thrashed around like a fish until they unhooked me. I had plastic surgeries to fix the eyelid (my eyeball was somehow fine), but nobody ever checked to see if I had jabbed my wee brain. I have impaired memory and concentration, a learning disability, awkward social skills, and high anxiety. I can't blame it on the metal rod, but I can't really rule it out either!
thanks for sharing you unpleasant experience. What an ordeal.

Sugartits

Oh sorry, the whole point of that was not the lobotomy story, it was just to recommend that you look into the medicines your grandma is taking. Sometimes older people are on a crazy amount of pharmaceutical drugs, which can be rough on an elderly brain. It might help to ask her doctor if any of her meds can be reduced or eliminated.

LucH

Lost of memory could be the result of Diabetes type III.
Coconut Oil Cure Alzheimer And More. Part I 5.40''

Some symptoms of Steve Newport have slowed down and even reversed by taking coconut oil, prescribed by his wife (Dr Newport).
Symptoms are similar to type II diabetes. Glucose can't reach brain cells due to inflammation. Cells then die. But if you give an alternative fuel (ketone bodies from coconut oil, after the body metabolized Medium Chain Triglycerides or MTC).
2 weeks after eating coconut oil in his oatmeal, Steve's test improved (clock drawing).
Steve doesn't only improve intellectually but also emotionally and physically (3 months).
Dr Newport has written a book to testimony. She received several letters of readers confirming the facts.
(...)

Dr. Newport's effective work on memory loss and Alzheimer's with coconut oil- Part II 10.02'' :coeur:​

Dr. Newport's effective work on memory loss and Alzheimer's with coconut oil- Part III 8.40''

Dr. Newport's effective work on memory loss and Alzheimer's with coconut oil- Part IV 10.05''

Details about Steve's Memory loss : Steve is back . He felt like a different person.

Dr. Newport's effective work on memory loss and Alzheimer's with coconut oil- Part V 9.58''

Dr Veech' ketone project needs funding to produce the ketone esters.
But it's difficult to find since MCT can't be breveted
Helpful for million of persons: Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's, ALS, Multiple sclerosis, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and poor memory.
We used hemp & coconut oil to elevate ketones in the body.
In a study on mice, ketone bodies help to develop new nerves.
Steve symptoms disappeared after 3 or 4 months: comprehension – reading – safety – memories – time concept – etc.
Save test with coconut oil: benefits from 1 to 3 table spoonfuls of coconut oil. No toxicity but we should begin slowly with one coffee spoon a day during one week, at breakfast or lunch time, preferably (easier digested) since it takes 3 hours for ketones bodies to arrive in our blood. Listen to your body …
A lot of people contacted Dr Newport to report improvements.

Dr. Newport's effective work on memory loss and Alzheimer's with coconut oil- Part VI 8.57''

Dr. Newport's effective work on memory loss and Alzheimer's with coconut oil- Part VI

=> Dr Theodore Van Itallie of Harvard & Columbia University, says it could well be the major advance in nutrition in the 21 century.
=> Dozen peoples have reported positives results.
=> 50 million people in USA will suffer from neurodegenerative disease.
=> Ketones could help many cases. There are so many medical applications …
=> Summary at 5'
=> Dr Newport wants to deliver a message because it's so promising. Research must continue.
=> Dr Newport website at : www.coconutketones.com

Hope it will help, if not too late.
LucH

IVILA

Restoring pregnenolone levels may help if that is something they are willing to do.

Giraffe

A baby aspirin helped the granny of a friend of mine. Also check the meds. SSRI for example are known to impair the short term memory.

Is she constipated? That by itself can make the person become demented, due to massive endotoxin absorption.

My dad developed the same problem in the last couple of years. It was shocking to suddenly see because he has always been so social, vibrant and on-the-go. It got so bad that I took out a "Durable Power Of Attorney" to keep him with me and start making some end life decisions for him. The surprising thing was that living me, now eating my way, the "Peat" way, void of starches, cheap milk and inorganic produce his memory was restored. As a bonus he also lost 28 pounds in 6 weeks and his TERRIBLE acid went away! I did a lot of of reading after that about Alzheimers and new discoveries about it and the two main things that connected the dots with him was aluminum collecting in his brain from antacids and the wheat and other starches giving him what is called "grain brain". Because of his impaired gut from the antacids and poor diet, starch molecules leach through the intestinal wall into his blood system and reach the brain. It was so apparent to see that grains were impairing his memory because he would be totally normal for a weeks until we would go to a restaurant and he would get fried fish tacos and within 10 minutes or so he would just stare and be very quiet and be tired the rest of the day, and would struggle with his memory again. When he first came to me he did not remember one thing about being married 10 years to my mom or even what he was watching on tv between commercials, his memory can be so bad, but he is nearly normal when he is on a starch free and antacid free diet.

SonOfEurope

That's some messed up S***.

Has Aspirin+K, Pregnenolone, Progesterone, better nutrition or thyroid helped you so far?

ursidae

If you can get it, buy beef brains.
Hey I found some beef brain from a good farm today, if you consume it how do you go about preparing it? I'd rather not eat raw but also wouldn't want to damage some heat sensitive compounds

Sugartits

That's some messed up S***.

Has Aspirin+K, Pregnenolone, Progesterone, better nutrition or thyroid helped you so far?

Oh yes, I am doing all of those things. I have no idea if they help, as I have only been on them for a couple of months. I hope in a year from now I will be able to say I see a difference.

IVILA

Oh yes, I am doing all of those things. I have no idea if they help, as I have only been on them for a couple of months. I hope in a year from now I will be able to say I see a difference.
well it depends how much you're taking. if you don't feel anything maybe the dose is too low

Sugartits

Hmm, thanks, I will keep toying with the amounts until I become intelligent, or at least fairly sane. ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals