Grand Opening of The Seperate Ladies and Gentlemens Area!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
After much consideration, and also talking with community members. I have decided to make a "Ladies Only" area along with a "Mens Only" area. The ladies will have their own area to discuss whatever they will like, and the men will not be able to see this area. Same goes for the mens area, ladies will not have access to it.

For now, I will use your prior posts to figure out if you are male, or female. In the near future, I will figure out some kind of verification system but I haven't quite got the far yet.

So, please post in this thread or send me a PM with "Add me female" or "Add me male". Then I will designate you to the group and get you access to the appropriate area. I have went through and already designated a few of the members, so, yours might be done already.

I hope you find that this will be a great new addition to the Ray Peat Forum!

J

j.

Re: Grand Opening of The Seperate Ladies and Gentlemens Area

boo. i think it's better to just have a nickname to ask controversial questions. ladies like hearing about penises too.

add me as hermaphrodite.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

:lol:

Well, I know the ladies probably hesitate talking about "female" stuff. So I think it would be an asset for them.

I dunno, I thought it was a good idea. If it is not well received then It can be easily done away with.

So, we have one boo so far! :think:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

j. said:
add me as hermaphrodite.

I sense someone not wanting to be left out! :lol:

J

j.

actually, it's ok. although this is the internet, and someone can just pretend to be a lady. probably what would work best is that individuals can create their own chat room channels and designate mods and only the mods can authorize new people. or the equivalent to chat rooms for forums, i suppose folders.

to note, there is a huge female orgasm thread at the facebook page, and people use their real names on facebook more often than here.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Like I said J, gonna work on a verification system. Also gonna work on finding a good female moderator.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

:bluewhip

Step right this way and I will give you the grand tour! :rolling ;)

That's funny because I have been thinking of making a Ray Peat dating area only because I dont think I could date anyone who isn't in this lifestyle at this point. :lol:

Not that I am going to make that happen, I was just dreaming I guess.

Ray-Z

None of what I'm about to say is intended to criticize Charlie, who rocks and wants what's best for the forum members.

If creating separate areas of the site for men and women is the best way to meet the concerns of the forum's female members, then I reluctantly support this proposal, but...

Do you see the irony of segregating the sexes in a forum dedicated to the ideas of Ray Peat, the male author of Female Hormones in Context?

Of course, creating segregated areas of the site might enable women to ask questions they might not otherwise be comfortable raising, or allow them to discuss some topics more freely. These are big benefits, but they come with significant costs.

It's a mistake to believe that men have no valid interest in information about women's health. All men have important women in their lives -- wives, girlfriends, moms, sisters, friends. For example, I have a close female relative with cancer who will not likely read this site any time soon. If information relevant to her condition appears in a segregated part of the site, I won't get it, and neither will she.

It's also a mistake to think that only information on controversial or sensitive topics would be segregated. Most threads in this forum, whatever their ostensible subject, cover a wide range of topics. Many, perhaps most, threads contain valuable information that is off-topic. Example: I do not have fibromyalgia, but have found Birdie's fibromyalgia thread quite useful. If we move sensitive topics into segregated areas, much other information will follow.

Even if we ignore the impact of denying information to people interested in it, I don't think it's completely obvious that creating segregated areas would improve the quality of discussion. Would men really be better off if peatarian and Birdie couldn't comment on a thread about testicular cancer? Would women really be better off if kettlebell and Cliff (and Ray Peat himself, if he ever visited us) couldn't comment on a thread about breast cancer?

Most of us try to create an open and welcoming environment where people can feel safe in sharing information about Peat's ideas and their own health. If we are not succeeding in creating such an environment for women, we should try to understand what we are doing wrong and fix it. Perhaps j's idea of allowing people to ask questions anonymously might help. Surely the bright people here can think of alternatives.

Again, if creating separate men's and women's areas of the site is really the most manageable way to meet women's concerns, then I'll support the idea. Maybe this proposal is the only way some important topics will get discussed. But I suggest we first see if we can address women's concerns without excluding people from our conversations. :2cents

Birdie

Charlie said:
After much consideration, and also talking with community members. I have decided to make a "Ladies Only" area along with a "Mens Only" area. The ladies will have their own area to discuss whatever they will like, and the men will not be able to see this area. Same goes for the mens area, ladies will not have access to it.

For now, I will use your prior posts to figure out if you are male, or female. In the near future, I will figure out some kind of verification system but I haven't quite got the far yet.

So, please post in this thread or send me a PM with "Add me female" or "Add me male". Then I will designate you to the group and get you access to the appropriate area. I have went through and already designated a few of the members, so, yours might be done already.

I hope you find that this will be a great new addition to the Ray Peat Forum!
Thanks, Charlie. Very un-pc, I'll add. :) Generally I'm against Men's this and Women's that, except in sports or whatever. But I see the point in having these groups to see if it helps anybody. Awfully strong reactions so far, against the idea.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ray-Z, excellent points. Short for time right now but will try to answer more later.

Birdie, yeh, I kinda wonder now if this was a bad idea?

Uggggh.

Birdie

I, for one, have no trouble with sharing vagina information on other threads and would never imagine sharing all my valuable comments only in one spot. :roll:

Birdie

Charlie said:
Ray-Z, excellent points. Short for time right now but will try to answer more later.

Birdie, yeh, I kinda wonder now if this was a bad idea?

Uggggh.
Is it a bad idea just because objections are made?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Birdie, Ray-Z made some good points. If needed, people could have just signed up under a different account and remained anonymous.

But, I do think women would be more likely to share their "women" problems with each other in a private setting.

I just want to make sure that we do not divide the community with this move.

Ray-Z

Birdie said:
Thanks, Charlie. Very un-pc, I'll add. :) Generally I'm against Men's this and Women's that, except in sports or whatever. But I see the point in having these groups to see if it helps anybody. Awfully strong reactions so far, against the idea.

Sorry if my post came off as an angry rant; it wasn't intended to be. I didn't mean to bash Charlie or anyone who likes the change. Charlie probably weighed the positives and negatives, and made the decision that made sense. I was just trying to make sure people are aware of the costs as well as the benefits.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ray-Z, to be honest. You made some excellent points that I did not even consider.

I am thinking maybe we should just suggest that anyone who is embarrassed about a subject to just sign up under a different name so they can discuss that topic.

Birdie

Charlie said:
Birdie, Ray-Z made some good points. If needed, people could have just signed up under a different account and remained anonymous.

But, I do think women would be more likely to share their "women" problems with each other in a private setting.

I just want to make sure that we do not divide the community with this move.
Yes, you are in a diplomatic position, Charlie!

I think you were thinking in a sweet way, unaffected by political correctness.

It's standard policy to choose your sex. I don't see any problem with the possibility that a man might join up as a woman.

Ray-Z always makes some good points. I often agree with him too.

I just intuitively feel there is something wrong with a few people speaking out leading to a reversal of an idea.
It doesn't, so far, seem to be a thoughtful, slow discussion. Just :2cents

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Well, not reversing it yet and I definitely would like more input on this. What I should have done was maybe bring up the discussion first before initiating it to see if it was even needed. Sometimes I do act in haste. :(

Thank you for thinking it was sweet, Birdie. Was just trying to help.

gretchen

Great, I suspect you guys don't want to hear all the fearful meno stuff. So this is good.

Combie

Add me as chemically castrated.

Hang on...

*eats gelatin, takes zinc*

Gonna need a superman section dude!!

:D