Grains Are Back (at Least For Me They Are)

scarlettsmum

So I have tried eliminating grain starches from my diet over a period of one month, which I though was a good slow progress. However I noticed that it doesn't agree with me. I just feel water logged and feel that since leaving out the grains I overcompensate with dairy fat and then worry about getting fat and so I reduce the amount of full fat dairy that I consume which then leads to feeling unsatisfied and hungry. I am trying to have 3 cups of broth every day, then there's the milk, OJ and although I tried replacing milk with cheese and not had any OJ in 3 days I just keep going to the toilet, clear pee and pounding heart. A clear sign my body isn't enjoying this process. Strangely enough, I really enjoy the lightness and clear head when off grains. ( adrenaline perhaps?) Why oh why is it so hard to accept my own bodily wisdom? I feel like I failed. Oh, well, a time for reevaluation. perhaps just keep eating grains, but a little less and keep drinking milk and broth...hopefuly I will get my temps up some day.

Lightbringer

So I have tried eliminating grain starches from my diet over a period of one month, which I though was a good slow progress. However I noticed that it doesn't agree with me. I just feel water logged and feel that since leaving out the grains I overcompensate with dairy fat and then worry about getting fat and so I reduce the amount of full fat dairy that I consume which then leads to feeling unsatisfied and hungry. I am trying to have 3 cups of broth every day, then there's the milk, OJ and although I tried replacing milk with cheese and not had any OJ in 3 days I just keep going to the toilet, clear pee and pounding heart. A clear sign my body isn't enjoying this process. Strangely enough, I really enjoy the lightness and clear head when off grains. ( adrenaline perhaps?) Why oh why is it so hard to accept my own bodily wisdom? I feel like I failed. Oh, well, a time for reevaluation. perhaps just keep eating grains, but a little less and keep drinking milk and broth...hopefuly I will get my temps up some day.
Yeah, The problem with reducing grains is making up the calorie deficit without consuming too much fat. The other issue is getting adequate Salt in. Consuming your grain meal after some physical activity might be a good place to start. White rice with some salty meat or chicken with coke hits the spot for me. Even a salty pizza slice now and then is not so bad if its not loaded with pufa. If you want to keep it healthier, you could try sprouted grains or sourdough.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Kaspar, I wonder how many people on this forum actually strictly avoid eating grains? Would be worth a poll, I think. The pizza sounds so appealing right now. :) Will have to make some tomorrow night with only the best ingredients, no pufa, well, except for the little bit of parma ham. I used to make sourdough bread and got bored with keeping the culture alive and so I stopped. But tonight I am trying the no knead bread recipe someone posted on this forum. Seems like much less effort. Do you know if eating too much dairy fat is a burden on the liver?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Kaspar, I wonder how many people on this forum actually strictly avoid eating grains? Would be worth a poll, I think. The pizza sounds so appealing right now. :) Will have to make some tomorrow night with only the best ingredients, no pufa, well, except for the little bit of parma ham. I used to make sourdough bread and got bored with keeping the culture alive and so I stopped. But tonight I am trying the no knead bread recipe someone posted on this forum. Seems like much less effort. Do you know if eating too much dairy fat is a burden on the liver?
Here is a poll similar to the one you suggested,
What do you find to be the most comfortable, easily digested starch? | Ray Peat Forum

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

thanks Blossom! Now I don't feel like I've failed, turns out quite a few people eat grains and are doing well. :) Like your quote about keeping stress down, btw.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
thanks Blossom! Now I don't feel like I've failed, turns out quite a few people eat grains and are doing well. :) Like your quote about keeping stress down, btw.
Thanks scarlettsmum.:yum:
You should never feel like a failure based on what you eat. I'm sure you are busy with children and everything so if that helps you get through the day easier and you are meeting your nutritional needs otherwise I personally don't think I'd sweat it too much.

tara

You should never feel like a failure based on what you eat. I'm sure you are busy with children and everything so if that helps you get through the day easier and you are meeting your nutritional needs otherwise I personally don't think I'd sweat it too much.
+1

milk_lover

White bread for the win! Some people say white rice does not affect DHEA, but I don't think I share their line of thought, it just affects me negatively mood and libido wise. It seems to feed the bad bacteria or something also. So starch should be approached individually. White rice is usually undercooked if you're eating from a restaurant unlike bread.

tara

DaveFoster

I wonder how many people on this forum actually strictly avoid eating grains?
Present. White rice with ample soy sauce and butter makes me regret the day.

ballomar

Hey, I started adding grains back in because I couldn't hit my calorie goals without them.

However I don't eat commercial bread, which inevitably leads to digestive problems for me. I make my own long-fermented bread and it seems to work fine. When I say 'long-fermented' I mean about 30 hours.

Oats are OK, as long as I give them at least an 8 hour soak at room temperature.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Thanks scarlettsmum.:yum:

Thanks Blossom. :)

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

thank you everyone for your input, I agree it should be approached individually and as a matter of fact I just made some white bread that I left to ferment overnight for about 16 hours. See the result in the photo. :) (for some reason it's sideways)

Attachments

• IMG_5184.JPG
    IMG_5184.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 108
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals