GP Told Me My Vit D Levels High . Now This ?

Oraganic4me

I got an electronic health alert my Vit D tests came in at 98.3 ng/ml. Range is 30 - 100
GP wants me to cut down on my 5000 IU a day to 500 IU a day and re test in 4 months...
I was taking Vit D to ward off Colon Cancer recurrence and then I just came across this article... what the heck ?!? Why is science so confused... does it help or doesn’t it ! I just get tired of “yes” it helps ... oh sorry it “doesn’t help”
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1809944

redsun

I got an electronic health alert my Vit D tests came in at 98.3 ng/ml. Range is 30 - 100
GP wants me to cut down on my 5000 IU a day to 500 IU a day and re test in 4 months...
I was taking Vit D to ward off Colon Cancer recurrence and then I just came across this article... what the heck ?!? Why is science so confused... does it help or doesn’t it ! I just get tired of “yes” it helps ... oh sorry it “doesn’t help”

No vitamin or mineral is going to ward off cancer. A healthy diet that promotes a strong metabolism will. Especially when we are talking about vitamin D. The human body has mechanisms to avoid too much vitamin D, when you take high amounts daily you bypass this and can easily create more problems. Id take the GP's advice and drop the intake, or better yet stop altogether so the level can drop back down quicker. Fish, eggs, and organs are good natural sources of vitamin D that we are designed to consume. That + minimal amounts of sun exposure is enough.

OP
Oraganic4me

Oraganic4me

No vitamin or mineral is going to ward off cancer. A healthy diet that promotes a strong metabolism will. Especially when we are talking about vitamin D. The human body has mechanisms to avoid too much vitamin D, when you take high amounts daily you bypass this and can easily create more problems. Id take the GP's advice and drop the intake, or better yet stop altogether so the level can drop back down quicker. Fish, eggs, and organs are good natural sources of vitamin D that we are designed to consume. That + minimal amounts of sun exposure is enough.

OP
Oraganic4me

Oraganic4me

Thank you ... I will continue with those foods and retest ..
“awww supplements... why must you promise to be so good yet are sooo bad ! “. lol

Thank you ... I will continue with those foods and retest ..
“awww supplements... why must you promise to be so good yet are sooo bad ! “. lol

I would stay on it.
The good Doctor is maybe some new type of slime and wants to optimize his judicial responsibility Profile.
reduce it down to 4000 IU,and consume Mg as Citrate or Glycinate.
He aint your Friend.
These studies come out seemingly successless,because all they ate was Cafeteria Diet or
Standard American Sad Diet, SAD.
Supplements work.

He thrives on Disease,after all.

Last edited:

redsun

Supplements work.

Until they don't or they start causing harm. Not to say they can't be helpful, but Fat solubles are more problematic then a B complex by a long shot where the Bs get constantly excreted out via urine.

Until they don't or they start causing harm. Not to say they can't be helpful, but Fat solubles are more problematic then a B complex by a long shot where the Bs get constantly excreted out via urine.

Still way too dismissive.
Read a lot about D,E,A,Safety for Fat-Solubles is also enormous.

redsun

Still way too dismissive.
Read a lot about D,E,A,Safety for Fat-Solubles is also enormous.

OP was already at the top end of the range, indicating it has been slowly climbing. We can assume it may keep climbing as well which is a major problem, possibly leading to hypercalcemia.

OP was already at the top end of the range, indicating it has been slowly climbing. We can assume it may keep climbing as well which is a major problem, possibly leading to hypercalcemia.

True.Very well.

@Oraganic4me ,can you tell us since when you started on the D?
It would be better to have this data,to see whats what.Also,what is your weight.

I think redsun's advice is good for the short term and Tristan Loscha's for the long term. You might ditch D (if your life does not depend on it) for a few weeks and humor your GP, since your score is pretty solid, and then retest your value. Meanwhile, you can eat fish or liver (bear in mind that fish is typically a source of D while liver is a source of D as well as the richest source of A which competes with D and can reduce its activity) and pay attention to how you feel. When you reintroduce, especially at high doses, it can be wise to consider companion nutrients such as magnesium, vitamin K, and boron to help D function.

Good luck.

tankasnowgod

It's possible, but probably unlikely. I reviewed the cases of hypercalcemia that were mentioned somewhere in the Grant Generaux thread, and mostly, were from doses in the millions of IU, or 600,000 IU injected into muscle. That cured me of any fear of "overdosing" on D even when taken daily up to, say, 25,000 IU. Especially if supplemented with K2 and/or A.

bk_

As personal anecdote I was taking a high dosage of vitamin D for several months and it began triggering episodes of insomnia. Afterwards if I took so much as a 1000 IU dose I simply would not be able to sleep. There was a doctor who observed that his patients did much better health wise just under 40ng/ml.

As an aside maybe consider aspirin? Baby aspirin significantly reduces risk of colon cancer according to these results: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)62110-1/fulltext

mouse

I think a more relevant study for your cancer would be more useful. For example there was a recent study on DLBCL (diffuse large b-cell lymphoma) recurrance in elderly patients that found serum vitamin D levels had a significant effect on recurrance/EFS, OS. However they were measuring the actual levels (after supplementation) in relation to outcomes, which most studies do not do. 44% of people in this group could not normalize their vitamin D with 25K IU/week, so it shows the fallacy of using intake against outcomes.

Vitamin D deficiency and supplementation in patients with aggressive B‐cell lymphomas treated with immunochemotherapy

The survival charts in figure 4 shows obvious an survival advantage to having good vitamin D levels.

Aspirin in dosages of about 2g per week cut the hazard ratio to about 1/3 of those who don’t take aspirin, much better than colonoscopy combined with polyp removal (which is supposedly why colonoscopies are so amazing and wonderful). Even people who have had CR cancer find their chances of it spreading or re-appearing slashed with aspirin. Nothing like it.

Mito

How long have you been on the 5000 IU dose? Was it ever more than 5000 IU? Do you also get a lot of sun? I’m surprised that you’re at 98 ng/ml on only 5000 IU. You might consider testing PTH the next time you test Vitamin D.

OP
Oraganic4me

Oraganic4me

How long have you been on the 5000 IU dose? Was it ever more than 5000 IU? Do you also get a lot of sun? I’m surprised that you’re at 98 ng/ml on only 5000 IU. You might consider testing PTH the next time you test Vitamin D.
Hi , I’ve been MIA when I was originally diagnosed in 2014 my Vit D level was below 30 ... oncologist gave me prescription one time a week mega dose ... did nothing to raise my levels.. after a few tries he stopped prescribing... then on my own idea, I went to Costco, purchased 5000 iu and took 2 pills a day since 2014 , this past physical my Vit D was on the high end of normal 98.3 I stopped taking it for now , I will test in 4 months and reassess.

OP
Oraganic4me

Oraganic4me

Thanks everyone for your recommendations... it means more than you will ever know :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals