Gotta Leave Ray Peat

My blood pressure in the morning is 123/65 after starting to eat usually gets up to 135-140/75 but sometimes is 130/70 and than in the evening again starts to rise at 140/75 ,at night i woke up and i saw i had 105/55.

that isn't high at all. That's just swinging around a bit. I don't see that as anything to be concerned about.

OP
Razvan

Razvan

that isn't high at all. That's just swinging around a bit. I don't see that as anything to be concerned about.
I dont get the swinging ,i would like to have it at 125 like in the morning. I saw coffee always ups my BP. At 20 years old isnt a Little too high ? My friend at 21 years old is always cold and has it 110/70 always lol. Also im 6.5 and 200 lbs If that matters.

I dont get the swinging ,i would like to have it at 125 like in the morning. I saw coffee always ups my BP. At 20 years old isnt a Little too high ? My friend at 21 years old is always cold and has it 110/70 always lol. Also im 6.5 and 200 lbs If that matters.

I"m sorry, but why would BP be the same all the time? What difference does it make? My BP varies between 110/70 and 140/90. Depending on temperature, what I've eaten, exercise, stress levels, etc.

It isn't too high, you are comparing yourself to someone else who isn't you, LOL.

BP is supposed to vary and it's probably a GOOD sign that yours is fluctuating. It could be that you are healing something inside and that this will stabilize over time, or it won't, but either way, it is NOT high.

OP
Razvan

Razvan

I"m sorry, but why would BP be the same all the time? What difference does it make? My BP varies between 110/70 and 140/90. Depending on temperature, what I've eaten, exercise, stress levels, etc.

It isn't too high, you are comparing yourself to someone else who isn't you, LOL.

BP is supposed to vary and it's probably a GOOD sign that yours is fluctuating. It could be that you are healing something inside and that this will stabilize over time, or it won't, but either way, it is NOT high.
Lol maybe i overexaggerated i thought these are high numbers. Would You still reccomend bag breathing? My temps are always good

redsun

If you are very active that will increase blood pressure. Also caffeine intake does that as well. Stress also... You are young so your thyroid is better functioning and thus adrenaline more sensitive keeping BP higher. Its not high, not problematic at all I would say. You can just stop coffee which will reduce the caffeine increased BP.

Overall its not an issue though I dont you even need to take any measures to "fix" it because nothing is broken.. IF and keto are damaging in the long run its just because we are young we can handle the stress (I have done keto and IF as well in the past, I am 23) of the extreme diets without carbs. In the long run the body is healthier with carbs to restrain excess cortisol and keep thyroid (and thus the whole body) functioning optimally.

tankasnowgod

My blood pressure in the morning is 123/65 after starting to eat usually gets up to 135-140/75 but sometimes is 130/70 and than in the evening again starts to rise at 140/75 ,at night i woke up and i saw i had 105/55.

None of those numbers are "high blood pressure," FWIW, at least not by standards prior to 2017. 140 and 90 used to be the the start of high blood pressure readings. The only reason it was revised downwards in 2017 was to sell more blood pressure drugs.

https://newsroom.heart.org/news/hig...or-first-time-in-14-years-130-is-the-new-high
Normal values of blood pressure self-measurement in view of the 1999 World Health Organization-International Society of Hypertension guidelines.

When you monitor your blood pressure, you are supposed to take the average over time. All sorts of normal activities will affect your BP. Resting lowers it, the simple act of eating will raise it, as will walking, and so on. If you did some running or sprints and took your BP, you might notice it goes up to something like 160/99 for a bit. But would likely normalize within a half hour.

Lol maybe i overexaggerated i thought these are high numbers. Would You still reccomend bag breathing? My temps are always good

bag breathing can be helpful but even better is exercise with mouth closed and building air hunger.

Tarmander

When someone says "I did everything but nothing worked" sorry but it always means they didn't do everything and instead tried things and gave up too quickly.

This is a journey not a destination, to use a worn out cliche. You are either improving your health or making it worse. Nothing goes in a straight line either.

You have "high blood pressure" -- first, what is your BP? Second, how do you know that's a bad thing right now? Maybe your body is better off with high blood pressure right now?

I agree with the above mention of carbon dioxide, baking soda, and I'll add bag breathing.

There is a reason your blood pressure is higher -- but instead of saying "it's high" how about telling us some facts about it so we can better help?

@Tarmander that's very sciency looking but how much can you trust something like that? Seems very pseudo science to me because I lack an understanding of how a "microbiome" test can determine all that. Just seems p-science.

It is a science in its infancy, and if you added a few more hundred observations, things would probably change quite a bit. It can be quite unclear and change drastically based on the parameters, but for all that I have used some of its insights to really change things for myself. It definitely has answered questions I have had on why certain substances felt great when they shouldn't and vice versa.

Are these a lot of things you used to consume regularly in high amounts and took as supplements? Is there stuff on there that you avoided already, but it is still on there? What is the scientific basis to link whatever they test in those exams (I guess gut bacteria genes?) to specific intolerances (curious about this science, as I don't know much about it)?

I wouldn't say high amounts but I did lots of experiments with B vitamins, fat solubles, and aspirin. I also drank coffee for a couple years despite not feeling great on it.

There are tons of studies out there looking at things that feed or kill off bacteria. There are also many studies looking at different conditions that people have and what their microbiomes look like. One of the well known ones is the firmicutes to bacteroidetes ratio in obesity, although it is pretty low resolution.

The tests like the one I posted are looking at the amount of bacteria you have, comparing those to other populations and conditions, and spitting out recommendations of substances to either raise or lower bacteria levels to get your closer to the desired state. It is even more complicated because some bacteria work well together and some don't. So raising or lowering bacteria counts will affect the whole picture.

You can dig into it at cfsremission.com although it can be quite the rabbit hole.

Vinny

Sorry guys,but i dont think Ray peat dieting is for me ,i come from a background of IF and keto but i followed Ray peat principles for a year and a half,i initially felt good,but now i descovered i have high blood pressure out of nowhere at only 20 years old and i remember it was perfect when doing keto. How can you guys consider that Ray peat is a legend when so much people in here developped problems eating this way.

PS. I've tried everything ,vitamin d , taurine,salt literly everything.
Do only what works for you, no matter how "right" or "wrong" is from someone's perspective.

Jessie

I dont think i had problems with thyroid,my temperature was 98.2 all day and my hr was beetween 65-90.
It could be stress hormones keeping the temps elevated.

I think it's really important people distinguish the difference in oxidative phosphorylation and excessive glycolisis. The only way a high carb diet is going to make you feel better is if you're generating more CO2 as a byproduct of that diet. If you get stuck in a state of excessive glycolisis, then you'll just be generating MORE lactate. So this can actually make you feel even worse then you did while you were a fat burner. Fat burning has it's own problems, but it doesn't produce as much lactate as the "cancer metabolism" does. So there exists a very real mechanism by which somebody can actually feel worse by adopting a high carb diet. It's a distinction Peat has made before, but unfortunately I don't think it has registered to many of his readers.

CO2, and by association, bicarbonate therapy, will temporarily restore the proper utilization of glucose. CO2 therapy is essentially providing all the downstream systemic effects that a proper functioning thyroid would provide. And some of those benefits include relaxation, retention of magnesium, decalcification, vasodialtion, etc.

Can you write more about the benefits of Bicarbonate Therapy? I've personally seen benefits from baking soda baths, but mostly from a skin health perspective.

Absolutely! So, everyone has their own unique ways to gauge the status of their health. For me, it's tissue oxygenation. Because I was a sufferer of hyperventilation, I'm really in tune with my breathing patterns. Anything that elicits deeper more satisfying breathing, I consider good for pushing me towards relaxation and anti-stress. There's very few things that tend to give me that relaxation, but bicarbonate is one of them. In fact it's the best method by far, at least in my experience. Soaking in baking soda would probably be #2 on my list, but the effects re delayed. You don't get that instantaneous effect like you do from inhaling it.

The carbonic anhydrase inhibitor "acetazolamine" seems to provide decent results, but not as good as bicarbonate inhalation. Bag breathing is okay, you can get some mild results doing this, but I recommend using a needle to poke several tiny holes into the bottom of the bag to give you better drags, this will also cut down on the potentially hypotoxic effects by pulling more O2 through. Some people get really good result using thiamine, unfortunately I'm not one of those. Thiamine and thyroid both tend to raise my temps, but they don't do much for blunting hyperventilation. I'm going to give the TTFD version of thiamine a try soon, only thing I've used is thiamine hcl.

Edit: serotonin antagonists also seem to provide me with some relief. But again, I still think bicarbonate as worked the best thus far. I recommend using a water based diffuser, just add a 1/2 tsp to some water mix it up and let it dissolve. Pour it in and you're good to go!

orewashin

I don’t understand how you can „leave Ray Peat”. There’s no need to agree with everything he says.

Kram

I think it's really important people distinguish the difference in oxidative phosphorylation and excessive glycolisis. The only way a high carb diet is going to make you feel better is if you're generating more CO2 as a byproduct of that diet. If you get stuck in a state of excessive glycolisis, then you'll just be generating MORE lactate. So this can actually make you feel even worse then you did while you were a fat burner. Fat burning has it's own problems, but it doesn't produce as much lactate as the "cancer metabolism" does. So there exists a very real mechanism by which somebody can actually feel worse by adopting a high carb diet. It's a distinction Peat has made before, but unfortunately I don't think it has registered to many of his readers.

CO2, and by association, bicarbonate therapy, will temporarily restore the proper utilization of glucose. CO2 therapy is essentially providing all the downstream systemic effects that a proper functioning thyroid would provide. And some of those benefits include relaxation, retention of magnesium, decalcification, vasodialtion, etc.

Absolutely! So, everyone has their own unique ways to gauge the status of their health. For me, it's tissue oxygenation. Because I was a sufferer of hyperventilation, I'm really in tune with my breathing patterns. Anything that elicits deeper more satisfying breathing, I consider good for pushing me towards relaxation and anti-stress. There's very few things that tend to give me that relaxation, but bicarbonate is one of them. In fact it's the best method by far, at least in my experience. Soaking in baking soda would probably be #2 on my list, but the effects re delayed. You don't get that instantaneous effect like you do from inhaling it.

The carbonic anhydrase inhibitor "acetazolamine" seems to provide decent results, but not as good as bicarbonate inhalation. Bag breathing is okay, you can get some mild results doing this, but I recommend using a needle to poke several tiny holes into the bottom of the bag to give you better drags, this will also cut down on the potentially hypotoxic effects by pulling more O2 through. Some people get really good result using thiamine, unfortunately I'm not one of those. Thiamine and thyroid both tend to raise my temps, but they don't do much for blunting hyperventilation. I'm going to give the TTFD version of thiamine a try soon, only thing I've used is thiamine hcl.

Edit: serotonin antagonists also seem to provide me with some relief. But again, I still think bicarbonate as worked the best thus far. I recommend using a water based diffuser, just add a 1/2 tsp to some water mix it up and let it dissolve. Pour it in and you're good to go!

Thanks for this information. Any idea if baking soda baths are ok to do everyday?

Also, I may be completely missing the boat re:#1 on your list, but basically you buy an essential oil diffuser (water-based) and add 1/2 tsp of sodium bicarbonate and inhale the air?

Recoen

yeah,i Red every peat article,i applied everything but nothing worked ,my blood pressure seemed going up and dropped only in the morning when i wasnt eating.when i started eating my blood pressure would rise so much especially after carbs.
This sounds like a stress reaction to something you’re eating. Did you try an elimination diet; addressing sibo, endotoxin, etc?

I just saw your follow up about the level. Like others have said after you eat, your body probably now has the energy to take care of different processes. RP has talked about vit K2 for high blood pressure.

Last edited:

Jessie

Thanks for this information. Any idea if baking soda baths are ok to do everyday?

Also, I may be completely missing the boat re:#1 on your list, but basically you buy an essential oil diffuser (water-based) and add 1/2 tsp of sodium bicarbonate and inhale the air?
I've done it 3 times a week without any problem before. I've never done it everyday, but I would think it's okay.

Yeah a diffuser that's designed for essential oils. Some use water and some don't, so make sure to get a water based one. The one I use is from the NOW company, model number 00950MJ. You can also use a nebulizer, which is where I originally got the idea from this person's thread: The Only Hormone Or Anti-Oxidant You Actually Need

However, I think a diffuser is probably even better. There's just something about turning a machine on and forgetting about it. Nebulizers are probably really good, but there's something about having to wear masks that's just stressful and inconvenient. Same with holding brown bags up to your face. I like just sitting back and doing my normal thing while benefiting from bicarbonate rich atmosphere.

TheSir

Yeah it happens.

My last microbiome test showed these things to avoid:
Can you elaborate on what this list means? They test your gut biome and analyze what things don't serve its health? Are those a general suggestions, or were all those supplements part of your diet?

gately

Thanks for the write up. Please let us know if TTFD turns out helpful to you. I’ll be very curious given some other users positive reactions.

gately

I've done it 3 times a week without any problem before. I've never done it everyday, but I would think it's okay.

Yeah a diffuser that's designed for essential oils. Some use water and some don't, so make sure to get a water based one. The one I use is from the NOW company, model number 00950MJ. You can also use a nebulizer, which is where I originally got the idea from this person's thread: The Only Hormone Or Anti-Oxidant You Actually Need

However, I think a diffuser is probably even better. There's just something about turning a machine on and forgetting about it. Nebulizers are probably really good, but there's something about having to wear masks that's just stressful and inconvenient. Same with holding brown bags up to your face. I like just sitting back and doing my normal thing while benefiting from bicarbonate rich atmosphere.

Oh and any experience with Magnesium Bicarbonate? I’m curious if it gives you the same relief / if you think it will give you the same relief.

Dobbler

"Leaving Ray Peat diet"means you will start eating PUFAs like seed oil, nuts, salmon etc. Grains, toxic additives like carrageenan etc. Avoid dairy, and incorporate alot of unnecessary green vegetables like broccoli.

Good luck.

Tarmander

Can you elaborate on what this list means? They test your gut biome and analyze what things don't serve its health? Are those a general suggestions, or were all those supplements part of your diet?
see my post above and check out cfsremission.com

Those were general suggestions based on my microbiome to avoid shifting it to a theoretical unhealthy place. They are areas to experiment with. I have tried those things in the past and I did not react that well to them. I dont take them now.

Jessie

Thanks for the write up. Please let us know if TTFD turns out helpful to you. I’ll be very curious given some other users positive reactions.
I will, I'm highly encouraged to try it. It's the version of thiamine that Lonsdale recommends, and I think his work is absolutely brilliant. I definitely think he's right about thiamine deficiency in the western world.

Oh and any experience with Magnesium Bicarbonate? I’m curious if it gives you the same relief / if you think it will give you the same relief.
I've never diffused it, but it definitely works great as a general magnesium supplement. Magnesium does tend to relax me, and I think it would probably have a synergistic effect with bicarbonate therapy. I've mixed epsom salt with baking soda in my baths before with good results. I've noticed magnesium is really good for my erectile health. I can get better erections easier and faster. This is kind of odd, and not something you hear about a lot in regards to magnesium. I suspect I must not be retaining magnesium well due to hypothyroid and thus whenever I load up on it I get some really pronounced side effects, erections being one of them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals