Got Any Tips For Shaving?

Joe Leca

This is one of the few areas I haven't changed much. I still use highly toxic, cheap shaving cream with standard cartridge razors. I use coconut oil as aftershave. I tried using it in place of shaving cream but it doesn't work. I hope someone knows of a more natural/simple way to shave. Electric razors irritate the hell out of me.

Ray-Z

I don't use shaving cream -- just warm water and a classic two-sided razor with stainless steel blades. [Aside: If you decide to switch to a two-sided razor, experiment with several brands of blades (e.g. by purchasing a variety pack) to find the ones that suit you best before you buy blades in bulk. Different brands of blades can give very different shaves.]

BTW, Jeffrey Tucker wrote an amusing essay on the evils of shaving cream:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html

Most of his observations are consistent with my experience, but ignore his comment about mineral oil.

John Eels

What about deoderants and perfume? Are there any that can be recommended? I use Axe and Rexona for Men. I am aware that both products contain dangerous substances. I use those b/c I haven't found a practical and easy solution yet.

A few of the yummy ingredients: Alcohol Denat, Butane, Isobutane, Propane, Parfum, Propylene Glycol, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide Stearate, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool :evil:

chris

I've heard of baking soda and/or coconut oil being used as a deodorant but for perfume I'm not too sure

John Eels

Baking soda and/or coconut oil, that's interesting. Do you know how one uses them? You mix baking soda with some water and apply the solution on your armpits?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I use only baking soda, dab a bit on and good to go.

BingDing

I shave in the shower, five or so minutes of hot water softens my beard. Five edge safety razors work best, I don't use anything but water. A totally n=1 comment, after I started using Magnesium oil it seemed my beard got noticeably softer and easier to shave.

kettlebell

John Eels said:
Baking soda and/or coconut oil, that's interesting. Do you know how one uses them? You mix baking soda with some water and apply the solution on your armpits?

I mix 6 tablespoons coconut oil with 2 tablespoons bicarbonate of soda mash it up and just apply a small amount under each arm at the start of the day.

Keeps me 100% smell free all day.

You can google coconut oil deodorant and there are loads of ways to do it. Some people add essential oils etc but I don't do that anymore.

OP
J

Joe Leca

I've heard those old school double edge safety razors are the best. A good one can be pretty expensive though. I'll try the hot water only method but I have a feeling it wont work. I wonder if there's a good, natural substance that gets nice and foamy and is good for shaving.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
kettlebell said:
John Eels said:
I mix 6 tablespoons coconut oil with 2 tablespoons coconut oil mash it up and just apply a small amount under each arm at the start of the day.

6+2=8? :holysheep

:lol:

nwo2012

Electric shaver. Good enough and nothing needed.

For deodorant, coconut oil with zinc oxide powder and baking soda. This is very long lasting, you don't need to reapply daily.

Satan

Virgin coconut oil by itself works well. First time I put it under my arms and around my torso I got a lot of complements about smelling good :cool:

Ray-Z

People who use electric razors might want to check out Peat's interview on non-ionizing radiation. IIRC, he suggests a link between electric razors and brain cancer (or some similarly awful degenerative condition). Maybe not conclusive, but something to bear in mind... :2cents

John Eels

People who use electric razors might want to check out Peat's interview on non-ionizing radiation. IIRC, he suggests a link between electric razors and brain cancer (or some similarly awful degenerative condition). Maybe not conclusive, but something to bear in mind...
Isn't that a little far-fetched?

kiran

IIRC he said that the cancer risk was for continuous exposure to electric motors like those people who work with sewing machines. Apparently short term exposure is used therapeutically.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
John Eels said:
People who use electric razors might want to check out Peat's interview on non-ionizing radiation. IIRC, he suggests a link between electric razors and brain cancer (or some similarly awful degenerative condition). Maybe not conclusive, but something to bear in mind...
Isn't that a little far-fetched?

No, I was going to mention the same thing. I also stopped using my electric toothbrush.

John Eels

reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly?

Not that you notice an obvious difference? Do you?

What about electromagnetic pollution in your room from all the light that you shine on you during the night, alarm clocks, wires, computers etc.? What about negative air ions (I am thinking about the Elanra)?

And the most practical question remains: How do you trim a beard without an electric razor? I want to keep it at aprox. 3mm :ugeek:

(oh, I love this stuff, maximizing your environment to most ideal conditions. I start to think about stuff and their consequences that I have thought absolutely minor/trivial)