Google Scrubs Natural Health Sites

Waynish

I would not use the outdated Firefox-based browsers (Pale Moon or Waterfox). It would take a large security team to keep these browsers up to date, teams they don't have. They are documented to be slow at rolling out fixes to their code base. The code base is increasingly divergent, making it harder to do over time. This is documented here

https://www.howtogeek.com/335712/update-why-you-shouldnt-use-waterfox-pale-moon-or-basilisk/

The fact that they can't really secure the browsers with their own resources but mainly issue delayed versions of whatever Firefox does is significant. For the really important ("0-day" issues) days make a real difference between masses of people having their system compromised in very foul ways, or not.

I hear Firefox isn't even allowed into the hacking competitions it is so insecure these days. I don't completely buy this argument... It doesn't apply to OSs like Debian vs rolling release distributions, does it? Plus if you think about "Mayfield's paradox," then there is way less reason to be working on Pale Moon exploits vs Firefox exploits - and Pale Moon gets to see Firefox security patches within a fairly short amount of time. Just because there are so many bad software forks, does not mean software forks are inherently worse or insecure. These Firefox-based browsers have been making better decisions than Firefox in general... Not to mention the active extension censorship Mozilla has been doing lately (look their Mozilla's ties with Soros). Also having to go into about:settings to customize your Firefox settings means that a privacy-preserving fork is better out-of-the-box for most people's privacy. I'm not sure if you can remove all the telemetry from Firefox using the about:settings interface or plugins, either. I am skeptical of Waterfox these days, but Pale Moon seems pretty good.

Plus, running your browser in some chroot/jail is advisable anyway.

Literally

I hear Firefox isn't even allowed into the hacking competitions it is so insecure these days.

Oh, you hear that? This took me 5 seconds to find, smile.

Firefox, Edge, and Safari Browsers Fall at Famous Pwn2Own Hacking Contest

Plus if you think about "Mayfield's paradox," then there is way less reason to be working on Pale Moon exploits vs Firefox exploits

Nobody has to work on Pale Moon exploits. For the most part they are essentially Firefox exploits that are less likely to be patched. Since Firefox has gone to Quantum, and the clones haven't done that, is when using them became a poor strategy for security. You have to understand those projects were predicated on piggy backing on Firefox's work. Now that they have a rapidly diverging code based and can no longer easily do that, they aren't really viable projects long term.

It sucks that we are in this situation -- where you need a large team and a social process to stay on top of a browser (because every layer it is built on is itself inherently insecure). But we are.

No the argument doesn't apply to OS's and other things that are properly staffed/supported to do what they are doing.

Waynish

Oh, you hear that? This took me 5 seconds to find, smile.
Firefox, Edge, and Safari Browsers Fall at Famous Pwn2Own Hacking Contest

Your sarcasm inspired me to search security vulnerability reports of Firefox vs Chome vs PaleMoon:
Mozilla Firefox : CVE security vulnerabilities, versions and detailed reports (Firefox - 333)
Palemoon Pale Moon : CVE security vulnerabilities, versions and detailed reports (Pale Moon - 1)
For a better experience on Facebook, update your browser.... - Pale Moon forum

Your logic reminds me of "at least the guy abusing me loves me" - Mozilla does not care about us and these alternative projects who do care about privacy and freedom (and their track record proves it) has all of the open source code Mozilla produces + their own staff to utilize. So the "large team" vs "tiny team" of engineers isn't an accurate comparison.

Literally

The Pale Moon survey could not even garner one comment on Hacker News (a site with a huge audience of people including a lot of higher-end security people) even in 2017... and the situation has just gotten worse for them.

Your sarcasm inspired me to search security vulnerability reports of Firefox vs Chome vs PaleMoon

Oh my, could a browser that has less than 0.1% percent of the installed base of Firefox have less issues logged? Oh my, could people not bother logging them because it's generally known that most of the vulnerabilities that come up on Firefox apply to Pale Moon, too -- which is literally using an older version of the same source code for MOST of it's code, in case you are not able to follow this -- just for longer?

Mozilla does not care about us and these alternative projects

Why would it matter if they did or did not care about alternative projects?

Your logic reminds me of "at least the guy abusing me loves me"

I can't imagine what I said that you would consider invoking this "logic." Your comment suggests that you can't actually follow this argument.

You haven't established that Firefox is abusive. While I have been a vocal critic of some decisions that Mozilla have made, this is really an absurd comment -- which, surprise, you have not backed up with any facts. (Please spare us the frantic Googling on this topic btw... you don't obviously don't know enough to interpret this stuff.)

Please, feel free to continue deluding yourself... but I don't find you knowledgeable enough about this subject to engage with further. You have no business giving people here advice on tech.

johnsmith

This forum seems to be blocked when I set my iPhone restrictions to "limit adult websites". Does this happen for anyone else?

Edit- n/m, looks like it’s a glitch since my cities library website is banned too.

Last edited:

matisvijs

Facebook has also been banning keto groups bigtime, citing the diet as 'dangerous'. While I still think it's a terrible diet, people should have the right to discuss/follow it if they want to. It's not like Facebook would know what's dangerous or healthy in terms of nutrition.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals