Google appears to be burying Ray Peat search results

vCity

Whenever I want to research something Ray Peat related, I usually form my query as such: "Ray peat vitamin K", "Ray peat progesterone", "Ray peat coconut oil" etc. This has served me well for the last 5 years or so. Typically I would get Ray Peat articles, followed by a handful of Ray Peat Forums threads for the first 3-5 results. Now, all of a sudden, I often am not getting ANY results when using this search format. Sometimes the results are buried on page 3-10, and often it returns nothing.

I am not conspiratorial minded at all, but it seems clear to me that Google is actively suppressing search results involving Ray Peat. I can find results every now and again, but the quality of the results have been SEVERELY degraded.

Has anyone else noticed this as well? It is making it harder to find common Ray Peat topics that have been discussed on this forum and elsewhere.

Whenever I want to research something Ray Peat related, I usually form my query as such: "Ray peat vitamin K", "Ray peat progesterone", "Ray peat coconut oil" etc. This has served me well for the last 5 years or so. Typically I would get Ray Peat articles, followed by a handful of Ray Peat Forums threads for the first 3-5 results. Now, all of a sudden, I often am not getting ANY results when using this search format. Sometimes the results are buried on page 3-10, and often it returns nothing.

I am not conspiratorial minded at all, but it seems clear to me that Google is actively suppressing search results involving Ray Peat. I can find results every now and again, but the quality of the results have been SEVERELY degraded.

Has anyone else noticed this as well? It is making it harder to find common Ray Peat topics that have been discussed on this forum and elsewhere.
I just looked up "Ray Peat Prgesterone" and it came right up for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210525-125031_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210525-125031_Samsung Internet.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 39
What I have noticed is that more people are talking the Ray Peat stuff nowadays, and their stuff is just coming up first, maybe because their sites get more traffic?

OP
V

vCity

I just looked up "Ray Peat Prgesterone" and it came right up for me.
This actually illustrates my point. The Ray Peat Forums used to be the primary result when you searched Ray Peat topics. You're now lucky if you get a single result from Ray Peat's site when you search his name and a topic. There used to be Ray Peat adjacent sites that would show up in the results as well such as FunctionalPS.

I can't be the only one who's noticed this.

EDIT: I'm not saying you'll never find ANY results. I'm saying the quality of the results have severely dropped off to the point to where I suspect manual intervention on Google's part. Here is a result from Bing to compare with your screenshot:

raypeatprogesterone.png

Last edited:

Missenger

Google tracks you from site to site with their captcha with or without being logged into any account of sorts, that will automatically manipulate the search results you find. They also sell private information with their forced captcha.

OP
V

vCity

Google tracks you from site to site with their captcha with or without being logged into any account of sorts, that will automatically manipulate the search results you find. They also sell private information with their forced captcha.

Again, this argument works in my favor given I visit the Ray Peat Forum all the time.

Someone convince me I'm incorrect and I'll move along. But its very weird how Bing has better search results than Google when Ive been using Google just fine for all these years and within the last month or so everything changed.

-Luke-

I just tried "Ray Peat vitamin k", "Ray Peat starch" and "Ray Peat salt". It seems to be pretty normal for me. This forum came up as the first result twice, and as the second result once.

Edit:
Does it matter from which country you access the website? I'm in Germany, but I used google.com and not google.de.

Last edited:

Missenger

Again, this argument works in my favor given I visit the Ray Peat Forum all the time.

Someone convince me I'm incorrect and I'll move along. But its very weird how Bing has better search results than Google when Ive been using Google just fine for all these years and within the last month or so everything changed.
I dunno, you're figuring that they're manipulating it for wrong-think and that very well could very well be depending on the context. Wouldn't it be easier just to use something that wouldn't actively manipulate what you were looking for specifically?

AlaskaJono

I have had similar unsatisfactory search results from google, not exactly with your search terms, but a health/biomedical focus, particularly not giving me the sites/info I know is available somewhere on a server. I know because I had found it on page one of the search results a week/month/year earlier. I simply change settings in Google history sometimes, and also use another alternative Duck Duck Go on Firefox, (Can't bring myself to do Bing).

Also I have found it true what Rinse + rePeat stated above, newer folks who 'quote'/borrow/use Ray Peat info on their sites can get more hits somehow. So I keep my search engine changing occasionally, as well as my browser (try clearing browser history).

Also for fun try using someone else's computer just to see what results come up.

There were days/weeks where search results on google changed almost daily as I did an experiment in 2011. Every night for a few weeks I just searched one subject and scanned the first 3 pages of results. Different outcomes every night for a few weeks.... Algorithms gone wild?!!! I have adapted some by the "keep shifting my approach" logic. There is no question that the almighty search engine(s) has lots of potential as tools of change, Or control.

GreekDemiGod

This actually illustrates my point. The Ray Peat Forums used to be the primary result when you searched Ray Peat topics. You're now lucky if you get a single result from Ray Peat's site when you search his name and a topic. There used to be Ray Peat adjacent sites that would show up in the results as well such as FunctionalPS.

I can't be the only one who's noticed this.

EDIT: I'm not saying you'll never find ANY results. I'm saying the quality of the results have severely dropped off to the point to where I suspect manual intervention on Google's part. Here is a result from Bing to compare with your screenshot:

View attachment 23754
If you want google to return results from the forum search by keywords Ray Peat Forum Progesterone
You will get different results.

dukesbobby777

Why would google have an agenda against Ray Peat? He’s considered a quack amongst those who don’t follow his teachings and nutritional advice. There isn’t any nutritional sect that threatens the elite. The whole food supply is laced with toxins anyway, and that’s what ultimately wears us down as we age.

boris

It seems that it changed this year. Last year there were no raypeatforum results coming up for me anymore. Now they are coming up on the first page of results again.

B

Braveheart

Thanks for introducing this topic...

rzero

Google is getting worse by the moment for search. Most searches today will be filled with results omitting all but one or two of the search terms, even if terms are in quotes. This makes results very generic and basically unusable for a search with any degree of specificity. Google still has the best site-specific search, though. You have to use the syntax: progesterone site:raypeatforum.com

rzero

Anyway, it is painfully obvious Google is curating "approved sources" for everything, and rigging their search algorithm to funnel all searches towards these sources.

GreekDemiGod

Google is getting worse by the moment for search.
True. And the said thing people will keep using it, out of habit. And also because of the powerful brand / image it has in the collective consciousness. Switching to another search engine would feel really weird and lonely at this point, I'd imagine.

sunny

Agree, change search engines. Duck duck go, brave, etc. This was a topic on herb doctors maybe a year ago- I forget the search engine Andrew started using. Plus- its a small satisfaction to shun the big guys like Google, amazon, etc.

Herbie

They sensor everything, I’m always searching for information that can only come from real people like forums and it’s all gone.

The way I’ve found works is looking up YouTube videos of the subject and ignoring the YouTuber and going to comments section to find the gems.