Good Studies That Fasting Is Dangerous Human Ones

Calorie restriction is not fasting. Fasting is the complete abstinence from all substances except pure water in an environment of complete rest anywhere from 5 to 40 days in appropriately selected individuals. That induces the true ketotic state among other things like autophagy. Just restricting your calories without ever getting into that state while resting is not the same thing.

Last edited:

x-ray peat

This shows that it doesnt work as advertised. IGF and IGFBP are not lowered by IF but are lowered with decreased protein intake
Long-term effects of calorie or protein restriction on serum IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 concentration in humans

Reduced function mutations in the insulin/IGF-I signaling pathway increase maximal lifespan and health span in many species. Calorie restriction (CR) decreases serum IGF-1 concentration by ~40%, protects against cancer and slows aging in rodents. However, the long-term effects of CR with adequate nutrition on circulating IGF-1 levels in humans are unknown. Here we report data from two long-term CR studies (1 and 6 years) showing that severe CR without malnutrition did not change IGF-1 and IGF-1 : IGFBP-3 ratio levels in humans. In contrast, total and free IGF-1 concentrations were significantly lower in moderately protein-restricted individuals. Reducing protein intake from an average of 1.67 g kg −1 of body weight per day to 0.95 g kg −1 of body weight per day for 3 weeks in six volunteers practicing CR resulted in a reduction in serum IGF-1 from 194 ng mL −1 to 152 ng mL −1 . These findings demonstrate that, unlike in rodents, long-term severe CR does not reduce serum IGF-1 concentration and IGF-1 : IGFBP-3 ratio in humans. In addition, our data provide evidence that protein intake is a key determinant of circulating IGF-1 levels in humans, and suggest that reduced protein intake may become an important component of anticancer and anti-aging dietary interventions.

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

thank you @Constatine

I know that if i don't eat soon enough I can get nausea and puke. So fasting is not a option for you. I have seen the benefits of small meals frequency for sleep too. I can't sleep eat and eat and eat till I pass out. Even protein alone even though that suppose to spike insulin works so.

rebuke

Calorie restriction is not fasting. Fasting is the complete abstinence from all substances except pure water in an environment of complete rest anywhere from 5 to 40 days in appropriately selected individuals. That induces the true ketotic state among other things like autophagy. Just restricting your calories without ever getting into that state while resting is not the same thing.
Hey how do you prepare legumes to avoid antinutrients?

Hey how do you prepare legumes to avoid antinutrients?

Peat is anti-legume except cacao because he doesn’t like their fiber, fat and protein “quality.” I think he is wrong because I see more evidence that they are a health promoting longevity food. The anti nutrients thing is all hype. Look up Mic The Vegan’s video on legumes and anti nutrients. I like to cook them until they are very soft. You can also let them soak and add some ACV. Look up videos on how to properly prepare legumes. But I don’t think the ACV is necessary. If you buy dry legumes you just have to know how to cook them.

Here’s the video:

tara

good studies that fasting is dangerous human ones want to share with worker.
Lack of food kills lots of people.
People who died from hunger - in the world, this year

Context matters. Safety/risks of fasting seems to me to depend on lots of things:
- what kind of fast (eg water fast/ dry fast/ juice fast/ Breuss fast/ with or without supplemental minerals, etc)
- how long for
- what activities they are doing during fast (resting/ normal work/ very active)
- whether/how it is monitored
- what state the person is in to begin with (healthy/stressed/depleted in general or in particular nutrients/ liver strength, ...)
- what the purpose of it is (sometimes there may be a potential benefit in particular circumstances that outweighs the risks for limited fasting)
- maybe other factors ...

I know that if i don't eat soon enough I can get nausea and puke.
I have experienced nausea from hunger too.
So fasting is not a option for you.
You know about the effects of a delayed meal for yourself, but it is not necessarily the same for everyone.

Last edited:
D

danishispsychic

I have done really well on fasting with " snake diet " juice which is pink salt/ potassium/baking soda. pretty easy when you are drinking it - water fasting too hard . master cleanse is great but it not fasting. dry fasting awesome but i have only done a day of it .... once oyu start fasting and build up it is way easier and really has help me and other people i know personally.

anqele

I’ve lost over 60 lbs since 2014 and maintained it through IF and monthly three to five day fasts.

Fasting kicks in autophagy. As do most supplements that are still considered ‘good’ for you. Try it. Google - vitamin D autophagy. Nutrients stop autophagy cold. The stoppage of autophagy is why some vitamins now have a bad rep.

Protein and glucose both stop autophagy whereas fat doesn’t, hence, bulletproof coffee.

The thing that makes fasting difficult isn’t hunger but rather your social life. People just don’t get it and try to scare you to eat so to shut them up....

x-ray peat

I think the data is all over the place on fasting. For example Ive seen some studies that say fasting increases insulin sensitivity and some that say it lowers it. Ive also seen studies that say it lowers testosterone.
Given that this was popularized by the BBC several years ago I have my doubts that it is as healthy as people say. Mainstream media seldom presents real health information. Ray is definitely opposed to it as being too stressful.

With that said it is a very powerful way to lose weight. When I was doing it I was having a hard time maintaining weight and got too skinny.

Last edited:

tara

L

lollipop

Didn’t you say @Orion that you are following gbolduev’s fasting ideas and getting way better? Short fasts and Long fasts?

x-ray peat

Not across the board. He's mentioned it may sometimes be helpful.
Ill never say never but IIRC, PUFAs may be the one thing he dislikes more than fasting. Do you remember what he recommended it for? I think he once said it was the worst thing you can do because it deactivates the detox function of the liver.

anqele

From DR JASON FUNG’S current bestseller.....

About Fasting

One key to this book is the timing of eating, as well as eliminating your snacking altogether. When you snack your glucose levels raise up, which the body then uses for energy and burning. If you do not have those glucose levels rising every hour the body burns fat instead, which will ultimately cause weight loss as explained by Dr. Fung.

When asked what causes obesity, Dr. Fung stated:

It turns out that the problem with obesity is a poor distribution of energy, not the amount. Food energy is being diverted into fat storage instead of being used up. Insulin is the major hormonal regulator of this process. Excessive insulin causes obesity. [2]

His claim about breakfast was rather alarming, because this is a rather controversial topic for many people. But Dr. Fung claims you can skip right over breakfast—though you can have coffee or tea or water—and add it to your “fasting hours” and be just fine for weight loss. What many people find is that they are starving mid-morning if they do not eat breakfast which causes them to slip up and eat something unhealthy. But I suppose enough water could keep you feeling full until lunch, even if it takes you to the restroom a lot.

Dr. Fung says:

If you have more weight to lose, you can simply extend the fasting period. Instead of 12 hours, you can extend this to 16, or even 24 or 36 hours. This is the process called intermittent fasting. A common regimen would be to use a 24-hour fast (from dinner to dinner, for example) twice a week. [2]

Orion

Didn’t you say @Orion that you are following gbolduev’s fasting ideas and getting way better? Short fasts and Long fasts?

Yes I have made unbelievable advances in my health following his ideas, especially after my 2 month long Breuss fast that ended in Dec 2018.

Recent post on what has been giving my health back: Acne - Sebum Reduction

Glassy

I IF every day until around noon. I gave it up when I started peating but I started again after about 3 months. It suits me and my lifestyle and I will break it earlier (9 or 10) if I feel a bit off or just because I feel like breakfast.

Please don’t start quoting Dr Fung. The guy writes well and he’s convincing but he often skims over details that don’t support his argument. He’s no Dr Peat and this isn’t fungforum.com

Fasting is inherently stressful releasing catecholamines and cortisol. I believe that this acute stress is where any benefits lie but also the potential damage. If someone has chronically high cortisol, fasting is probably not a good idea. I wouldn’t even bother trying to convince your friend with studies as you will never find one that matches the fasting ‘style’ that they will do. Just support them and help them learn from their experiences.

anqele

You are right. I don’t belong here, not being a peater.

There isn’t a fungforum.com

Okay am out of here....

L

lollipop

Yes I have made unbelievable advances in my health following his ideas, especially after my 2 month long Breuss fast that ended in Dec 2018.

Recent post on what has been giving my health back: Acne - Sebum Reduction
Great! Thank you for the link to your post. I knew it was somewhere - lol. Couldn’t remember. Guess I could have looked up under your profile. Just remembered. Thanks again.

SOMO

I’ve lost over 60 lbs since 2014 and maintained it through IF and monthly three to five day fasts.

Fasting kicks in autophagy. As do most supplements that are still considered ‘good’ for you. Try it. Google - vitamin D autophagy. Nutrients stop autophagy cold. The stoppage of autophagy is why some vitamins now have a bad rep.

Protein and glucose both stop autophagy whereas fat doesn’t, hence, bulletproof coffee.

The thing that makes fasting difficult isn’t hunger but rather your social life. People just don’t get it and try to scare you to eat so to shut them up....

Fat doesn't spike INSULIN, but it certainly does not maintain autophagy.

Autophagy, by necessity, is SELF-phagy - if you're oxidizing DIETARY fat you're not oxidizing your own body fat and thus it's not autophagy - it's just normal fat digestion/fat oxidation.
How are you undergoing autophagy if you're still in the process of digesting food in your GI tract - fat, by the way, is digested slower than monosaccharides.

Bulletproof Coffee does not induce more autophagy than plain black coffee.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals