Good Quality Vitamin E

Bluebell

haidut said:
I guess without any CA from AC Grace, all can for certain was that I started reacting badly to their product, thought I could see difference in color and viscosity, asked fr explanation and was told to go pound sand. Upon switching to products from SEVERAL other vendors, I got back the positive results (i.e. lower blood pressure, higher temperature, calmness and even some sedation). That's all I can say at this point. Hopefully, if we get to the bottom of this, AC Grace would turn out to be a solid supplier, but I personally am not using their product for now.

I have tried quite few vitamin Es topically. AC Grace's is the only only one that gave me a negative topical reaction - acute redness and swelling. I threw out the bottle.

Bluebell

haidut said:
That may very well be so. I just converted the dosage from the rat study to human dosage based on what the study recommended. The study said that 0.1% gamma-tocopherol-enriched tocopherol mixture was equivalent to 500mg of the same mixture for a human being. So, the dosage that reduced estrogen significantly was 0.5% daily for the rats, which translates to 2500mg for humans. I don't know if 100IU of alpha tocopherol would be equivalent to 100IU of gamma tocopherol (or mixed tocopherols). Judging from the their chemical structure, they are all the same compound essentially (just different isomers of each other), which means same molar mass. I could be wrong though, as I have not done much chemistry in years.

Thanks! That's good to know.

How much E are you taking nowadays, are you still taking 2500mg and what kind of benefits are you getting?

Dan W

Kelly and j., I've contacted both Designs for Health and ProCaps about those products, I'll post an update when I hear back.

I'm wondering if the Designs For Health High Gamma/Delta Vitamin E has been discontinued, since it's missing from the manufacturer's site. They do have an apparently-new "Ultra Gamma E Complex", though it does contain tocotrienols.

ilovethesea

Chiming in to say I got a reaction from the AC Grace vitamin E oil too. I got a touch too much sun on vacation so I put it on a few days in a row thinking it would help. Instead I got a rash, itchiness, redness and a lot of heat in my skin. I have 3 bottles I will have to toss out, what a shame.

The E in Progest E doesn't give me any reaction. I wish we could buy that with and without the progesterone.

J

j.

ilovethesea said:
The E in Progest E doesn't give me any reaction. I wish we could buy that with and without the progesterone.

Maybe it's dl-alpha tocopherol (synthetic)?

danman

Hi all,

I am a longtime lurker and just registered to respond to this thread.

Living in Germany it is quite difficult to get many of the brands of vitamin e recommended in this thread due to extremely strict customs regulations.

I have searched around a bit what I can get in Germany or at least within the EU and this is what I have found so far.

In terms of vitamin e oil I have found this one and wanted to know what everyone thinks about it in comparison to the lotioncrafter oil:

http://www.nhrorganicoils.com/products.php?id=2916

Here is the CoA for it: http://www.nhrorganicoils.com/uploads/2 ... amin_E.pdf

It says it is more than 70% tocopherols, so proably much less than the lotioncrafter. It is made from soy but on the plus side they say it is non GMO.

Another one that is available in Europe and the US that hasn't been mentioned here is the one from Poliquin:

http://us.cpoliquin.com/product_p/perfect%20e%203.0.htm

It does contain soybean oil but it hasa 1:1 balance between alpha and gamma tocopherol. Did anyone try this? And if not so do you think it would be good to try?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

J

j.

A canadian brand which has about the same amount of gamma and alpha tocopherols (it has soybean oil).

feature_GammaE_180_300.png

Link

Dan W

Got a response from ProCaps:
Our Ultimate Gamma Vitamin E is primarily derived from edible vegetable oils, including but not limited to corn, soybean, canola, cottonseed and other oil seeds.

Danman, I approve of your name. I will try writing to Poliquin about the tocopherol density relative to soybean oil and glycerin.

j., I wonder where that company came up with their "ideal ratio" (considering your idea about half-lives).

J

j.

Dan Wich said:
j., I wonder where that company came up with their "ideal ratio" (considering your idea about half-lives).
It seems like almost all companies, having wildly different ratios, claim to have the ideal ratio. I think the ideal ratio is just whatever their product accidentally happens to contain.

J

j.

Dan Wich said:
Got a response from ProCaps:
Our Ultimate Gamma Vitamin E is primarily derived from edible vegetable oils, including but not limited to corn, soybean, canola, cottonseed and other oil seeds.
Do you get the sense that they have quite a bit of oil (unlisted) in their product?

danman

Dan Wich said:
Danma, I approve of your name. I will try writing to Poliquin about the tocopherol density relative to soybean oil and glycerin.

Thanks Dan! I searched around a bit more on the web and found that most of Poliquin's supplements (he is a famous strength coach btw for those who do not know him) are actually made by Metagenics and he only sells private label versions of them.

So this seems to be the original Metagenics version, at least the description is exactly the same:

http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/e-complex-11

Probably better to directly contact the manufacturer instead of Poliquin about the Tocopherol density.

I also found another one in pill form that doesn't look to bad at first sight. It doesn't say anything about the quantities and ratios of the mixed tocopherols but at least it does not contain too many fillers and water instead of vegetable oil (emulsified). I think this is a very reliable company and I had good success with other supplements from them in the past, although they are pricey:

http://www.bioticsresearch.com/node/1600

Product label:
http://www.bioticsresearch.com/sites/de ... 8-Web2.pdf

This one from the same company contains a small amount of Tocotrienols and is not emulsified but they specify the amount of the other Tocopherols on the label:

http://www.bioticsresearch.com/node/1599

Product label:
http://www.bioticsresearch.com/sites/de ... web2_1.pdf

Also any opinions on the NHR organics oil that I posted?

Thanks a lot,
Daniel

Dan W

Between Danman and j., every time I'm excited to post that my summary page has finally caught up with the thread, one of you two has found more products :lol: ...I will contact Biotics Research for more details.

I have a couple (disappointing) updates from other companies:
  1. Designs for Health is pretty cagey about anything they don't sell directly on their site. All I've been able to get is that their only self-listed product, Ultra Gamma E Complex, is from soy and has been reformulated in a base of MCT oil. Perhaps it's the replacement for the other product.
  2. Metagenics won't tell me ingredient densities, they want me to ask the "practitioners". So we'll see if I get a response back from Poliquin (who I'm assuming probably has to in turn ask Metagenics!).

j. said:
Do you get the sense that they have quite a bit of oil (unlisted) in their product?
I'm not sure. I've been wondering if the capsule-based versions may have more oil to give manufacturers flexibility in different batches: that way they can add/remove oil to achieve a target dosage in a particular size capsule.

danman said:
Also any opinions on the NHR organics oil that I posted?
It might be worth giving it a try. Maybe there won't be too much difference between 70% and 95% if you're not soy-sensitive and don't take enough for PUFA issues. Just speculating...

J

j.

I've been using Swanson Maximum-Strength Gamma and Carlson E-Gems plus. I'm happy with both. I think the dose is too high and will be eating half a dose or something, and I'm still experimenting how I feel with different ratios.

J

j.

If we know the weight or volume of each of the natural tocopherols in their pure versions, we'll be able to figure out the concentration based on the amount of each tocopherol listed on the label (if they list it, many do).

J

j.

Designs for health has tocotrienols, I guess I'm not ready to play with them so far.

EDIT: Apparently there are different versions. This one doesn't list tocotrienols.

J

j.

Procapslabs seems to have a good product, but apparently they just had to add alpha-linolenic acid to their ingredients.

Philomath

Haidut/Dan/All
First, I think I may have found the Ohio based supplier that 4Spectrum sources from:
Organictech
Here is their Tocopherol page and one their mixed products (90%)
http://www.organictech.com/FoodNutritio ... erols.aspx
http://www.organictech.com/Portals/0/TC ... 222013.pdf

Dan, I applaud your tireless search for the best vitamin sources - it has to be exhausting!
To put my mind at ease, I'm tempted to order in bulk and start a business creating and packaging Vitamin E for myself and Peat users. The only problem is finding out Exactly what tocopherol source and mix is best.

1. In a perfect world (or according to Ray), what sources are best? Walnut, Palm, Rice, Wheat germ?
2 If there were an ideal "proportion/concentration/mixture", what would it be?
3. What carrier oil (if necessary) would be best? MCT, Coconut...

If nothing else, once an Ideal mixture and source are known, we could ask some of these retailers to create a special mix - who knows, if there's enough buyers anything is possible.

Dan W

Philomath said:
First, I think I may have found the Ohio based supplier that 4Spectrum sources from
Awesome, thank you for the detective work!

Philomath said:
Dan, I applaud your tireless search for the best vitamin sources - it has to be exhausting!
:hattip It would be exhausting if I wasn't so lazy about it :lol:

Philomath said:
To put my mind at ease, I'm tempted to order in bulk and start a business creating and packaging Vitamin E for myself and Peat users.
That's funny, I was just pitching this idea to someone who was looking for a business. Even apart from the quantity issues, it'd be nice to have many of these supplements packaged with things like measuring spoons, pump bottles, dosage guides, etc.

On your questions about sources, I get the impression Peat cares about the viscosity/density of the tocopherol oil more than the source. I bet he'd answer your questions if you mentioned you were considering making Philomath's Perfect E™.

aquaman

what is the thinking behind supplementing with Vitamin E, and how do you know it would be of benefit? What are the aims you should look for when taking it?\

Thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals