Good Low Fat Salty Snacks?

paulwalkerrip

I've been eating light Baby bels like they're about to be discontinued and while I do like them, I'm worried that the fat content might catch up with me.

Looking for suggestions for something salty to snack on. It's been pretty difficult to find soybean oil-free pretzels in Ontario!

Taotatoes

Homemade lean jerky's + carrot, parsnip, kale and zucchini chips. Food dehydrators are fun! If no budget for one, oven at low temp over long times work just fine.

nwo2012

Homemade lean jerky's + carrot, parsnip, kale and zucchini chips. Food dehydrators are fun! If no budget for one, oven at low temp over long times work just fine.

Can you give me the full recipe and preparation method plus dehydrator time etc?
Just recently bought a dehydrator.

akgrrrl

Popcorn. Bought a 35 lb bag of non gmo multicolored organic popcorn and proceeded to experiment. My fave uses coconut oil to pop in a vintage popper, then melt equal amounts of coconut oil and butter to drizzle, dressed with powdered salt and parmesan cheese. I got 30 lbs of salt from Utah mined from a pleistocene era seabed that is loaded with minerals Big yummies.

I've been eating light Baby bels like they're about to be discontinued and while I do like them, I'm worried that the fat content might catch up with me.

Looking for suggestions for something salty to snack on. It's been pretty difficult to find soybean oil-free pretzels in Ontario!
I love these! The fat and carbs are low and the protein is high!

Attachments

• 20210416_173855.jpg
    20210416_173855.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210416_173900.jpg
    20210416_173900.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 17

Richiebogie

I have been enjoying ryvita with vegemite.

I no longer buy bread. I used to get a loaf of 30 hour sourdough, but found it only lasted a few days. I would try to finish the whole loaf before it went bad!

Australian ryvita biscuits are now made in the UK but are wrapped in groups of 4 which keeps them fresh until you want them. You end up eating a lot less grain.

The vegemite is full of salt, protein (lysine > arginine) and B vitamins!

Last edited:

akgrrrl

Oh honey dont deny yourself good sourdough!! Bread only is fresh for a day. Everywhere in the world you can get day old bread much cheaper because its going stale without chemical additives. Slice your loaf and put it in the freezer. When you want a sandwich, toast it in a pan with butter for a few minutes and ut will taste and smell like it just came out of the oven.?

I no longer buy bread. I used to get a loaf of 30 hour sourdough, but found it only lasted a few days. I would try to finish the whole loaf before it went bad!

Australian ryvita biscuits are now made in the UK but are wrapped in groups of 4 which keeps them fresh until you want them.

skittles

Australian ryvita biscuits are now made in the UK but are wrapped in groups of 4 which keeps them fresh until you want them. You end up eating a lot less grain.

Thanks for the idea!
I used to have a bunch of Australian roommates so I ate vegemite pretty often. But now I live in a different town - they don't have vegemite at the grocery store but they do have marmite. Is it basically the same thing?

Richiebogie

Hi @skittles. I think the Marmite we get is from New Zealand and is made from a different recipe from the UK brand. Also I have only tasted that once. I think it was a bit of a shock so it could be like acquiring the taste all over again!

I just shared 4 ryvitas with vegemite and a cold boiled egg with a friend.

Very tasty!

The food was nice too!

Efficiency tip: I boil a dozen eggs at once, then when cool, I put them back in their box and into the fridge. There is a special spot in the fridge for fresh eggs and a spot for boiled eggs!

akgrrrl

Hi @skittles. I think the Marmite we get is from New Zealand and is made from a different recipe from the UK brand. Also I have only tasted that once. I think it was a bit of a shock so it could be like acquiring the taste all over again!

I just shared 4 ryvitas with vegemite and a cold boiled egg with a friend.

Very tasty!

The food was nice too!

Efficiency tip: I boil a dozen eggs at once, then when cool, I put them back in their box and into the fridge. There is a special spot in the fridge for fresh eggs and a spot for boiled eggs!
What a good practice you have shared for ready food. When your dozen is dwindling, you can put them with other eggs by marking the hardboileds with a pencil.

akgrrrl

Ok, so I know this thread is old, but I just had another idea that seemed worth mentioning. So, I primarly bake with the cleanest flours I can, Einkorn the "original" triticale wheat very little gluten and high protein and mineral, or else an organic wheat flour from Montana which is a hard red winter wheat that they let defoliate with the first frost so it doesnt get sprayed with Monsanto glyphosate. Since baking can be time consuming, I often go big on my recipe and freeze. So I pulled some out that had been frozen several months, forgotten. Was trying to revive it on my iron skillet griddle with butter and got distracted. This ended up with crouton-like buttered toasts so I salted them. Munched them with a pot of tea and was fully satisfied due to the high protein content of what turned out to be sourdough Einkorn. I can see from here the crouton experiment will run the gamut from cinnamon sugar to rosemary garlic and beyond.

Ok, so I know this thread is old, but I just had another idea that seemed worth mentioning. So, I primarly bake with the cleanest flours I can, Einkorn the "original" triticale wheat very little gluten and high protein and mineral, or else an organic wheat flour from Montana which is a hard red winter wheat that they let defoliate with the first frost so it doesnt get sprayed with Monsanto glyphosate. Since baking can be time consuming, I often go big on my recipe and freeze. So I pulled some out that had been frozen several months, forgotten. Was trying to revive it on my iron skillet griddle with butter and got distracted. This ended up with crouton-like buttered toasts so I salted them. Munched them with a pot of tea and was fully satisfied due to the high protein content of what turned out to be sourdough Einkorn. I can see from here the crouton experiment will run the gamut from cinnamon sugar to rosemary garlic and beyond.
I love Jovial Einkorn heirloom flour! So much different than regular flour, it feels good in my digestion. I am gonna have to make a crouton snacks now! Great idea!