Good Light To Use In Cubicle?

Cirion

These flourescant lights are literally hurting my brain... I think my 300W lamps would be way too conspicuous... any ideas?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Seems like it might actually have been EMF. I turned off my phone and now I seem more or less fine. Crazy, because my phone is like 6 feet away from me. Those RF are no joke and have huge range. I still hate these flourescant lights though, definitely gives me at least low-grade brain fog.

milkboi

Seems like it might actually have been EMF. I turned off my phone and now I seem more or less fine. Crazy, because my phone is like 6 feet away from me. Those RF are no joke and have huge range. I still hate these flourescant lights though, definitely gives me at least low-grade brain fog.
TrueDark Daywalker Elite Those are great for that purpose.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yeah I've tried blue light blocker glasses. They are ok, but those put me to sleep, and I think I know why now. Flourescant lights are only blue light and nothing else. So when you block the blue light, you get essentially "no light", and when you have no light, serotonin/melatonin goes up which puts you to sleep. The better thing to do is to get rid of the blue light and replace it with red light.

milkboi

Yeah I've tried blue light blocker glasses. They are ok, but those put me to sleep, and I think I know why now. Flourescant lights are only blue light and nothing else. So when you block the blue light, you get essentially "no light", and when you have no light, serotonin/melatonin goes up which puts you to sleep. The better thing to do is to get rid of the blue light and replace it with red light.

Sure... the ones I’ve posted only block a certain percentage of blue light tho, to simulate sunlight.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Sure... the ones I’ve posted only block a certain percentage of blue light tho, to simulate sunlight.

That's what I'm trying to say tho, you can't simulate sunlight from flourescant lighting, as its only blue light and no green, orange, red, etc. Sure I guess you could block enough of the blue to make it so you get as much blue as you do from the sun, but it's still missing the green, orange, red, etc spectrums.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Maybe this visualization helps to explain what I mean. I was not entirely correct, but you can see that fluorescaent only has like three distinct wavelengths of light. The problem is light is a spectrum, with hundreds of wavelengths not just two or three, which sunlight (and incandescent to a degree) both provide. LED is not bad either, but is excessive with blue light, and a little deficient in red light, but those blue light blocker glasses WOULD be more effective on LED for that reason. Fluorescent light though is dead light. So technically, when you talk about "blue light" "red light" etc its a range of spectrums not just one wavelength. Fluorescent however really has no spectrums at all, just a couple of discrete wavelengths, so it provides (almost) nothing. When you block what little it has, you're left with like one or two discrete wavelengths only. Interestingly, sunlight has higher intensity blue light than fluorescent, but the negatives of this are likely offset by the balancing act of all the other spectrums.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Look up BIOS lighting. I bought some LEDs that emit at 500nm, mounted them on large heat sinks and connected them to current limiting PSs and they illuminate the wall behind my monitors. Not sure if it helps. I also installed an app on my desktop that controls the blue. I have lowered the blue output on my screens. Time will tell.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Thanks all for various suggestions. The simplest and least complex thing to do and something I can do without ordering a new product is literally just use a regular lamp with incandescent bulb in it...

I realized today the one of the problems is actually just not enough light next to the monitor. I have flourescant light glaring above me, but the light actually near the monitor was dark, probably causing increase of serotonin/melatonin. I have a light built into the desk that I normally don't used, turned it on and realized a lot of the fatigue went away.... so just getting some solid light of any sort will help me out.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals