Good alternative to parchment paper for making masa tortillas?

FredSonoma

What is a good way to make nice thin masa tortillas without a press and parchment paper? I have no luck with a rolling pin. Any ideas?

SOMO

Roll the masa into balls.

Place a plate on top and press down on the plate.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Roll the masa into balls.

Place a plate on top and press down on the plate.
How do you peel it off the plate without them tearing? That's why they use parchment paper, it makes that easy

SOMO

How do you peel it off the plate without them tearing? That's why they use parchment paper, it makes that easy
Works without the paper too, but won’t be as uniform
Or you can use a damp paper towel. Or waxed paper?

Also what is the issue with parchment paper?

Fairykiller

Normal parchment paper contains plastic that can leech into your food. I use a emaille baking sheet that I grease. Works well for cakes and fries

OP
F

FredSonoma

Normal parchment paper contains plastic that can leech into your food. I use a emaille baking sheet that I grease. Works well for cakes and fries
@SOMO this is the exact thing I'm worried about, disposable things that can't be washed I don't like touching my food.

What is an emaille baking sheet? I can't find it online

SOMO

There's no plastic in parchment paper. The paper is made of cellulose, as are other types of paper.

Vegetable parchment paper is made by running sheets of paper pulp through a bath of sulfuric acid[1] (a method similar to the way tracing paper is made) or sometimes zinc chloride. This process partially dissolves or gelatinizes the paper.

I think worrying about parchment paper is orthorexic and I use parchment paper daily to cook for my dog and I and I haven't noticed any negative effects on health.

Fairykiller

nowadays parchment paper is treated with silicone to make it non-stick. There is one Italian brand that is plastic free but it’s the only one I know of. It’s called compostella.

Last edited:
OP
F

FredSonoma

There's no plastic in parchment paper. The paper is made of cellulose, as are other types of paper.

Vegetable parchment paper is made by running sheets of paper pulp through a bath of sulfuric acid[1] (a method similar to the way tracing paper is made) or sometimes zinc chloride. This process partially dissolves or gelatinizes the paper.

I think worrying about parchment paper is orthorexic and I use parchment paper daily to cook for my dog and I and I haven't noticed any negative effects on health.
I don't trust anything that comes from a factory that I can't wash off. A towel I can wash many times before using it. Parchment and paper towels, who knows what else is on there aside from the ingredients you just mentioned

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals