Goiter From T3?

davvid_1

Hi all,

have recently upped my T3 dose to 25mcg per day, with meals. Have been taking 10mcg for ~1 year, while making sure i have enough nutrients and calories. Feel a bit better, hair shedding less, less eczema...

However the past week Ive developed goiter on the left side, its quite uncomfortable, feels like the whole area is swollen, my thyroid is tender to touch, and have also been feeling a little sore and weak all over.

Ive just finished some antibiotics too for Diverticulitis.

I thought T3 is supposed to do the opposite. Ive since lowered the dose, but any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Soren

Forum Supporter
I think I've developed the same problem were you able to resolve this. I think I am going to just stop using T3 and T4 altogether and hope that the issue resolves. I had not been on thyroid for very long (about a month) and at a relatively low dose so hopefully this clears up quickly and there is not too much suppression of thyroid.

I might continue to use red light therapy on the thyroid but in low doses

OP
D

davvid_1

this has happened twice now, very uncomfortable and sometimes interferes with my breathing at night. Yeah I lowered my dose, upped my calories and it calmed down. added some selenium and iodine just incase, but i think it might be too high a dose of t3 for a given amount of calories that does it to me. let me know what you find

Soren

Forum Supporter
Well interestingly the tightness/swelling of my neck seems to have subsided and the initial reaction to T3 might have been a normal response. I posted my problem in my status and @mrchibbs responded to me with this information and a quote from Ray,

"Yeah it's temporary. I've experienced it. Most people who try thyroid supplementation experience this. Magnesium can help a lot, as typically increasing T3 depletes magnesium and causes rigidity and tension in the throat area.

“If a person has an enlarged thyroid gland, progesterone promotes secretion and unloading of the stored “colloid,” and can bring on a temporary hyperthyroid state. This is a corrective process, and in itself isn’t harmful. A thyroid supplement should be used to shrink the goiter before progesterone is given. Normal amounts of progesterone facilitate thyroid secretion, while a deficiency, with unopposed estrogen, causes the thyroid to enlarge.” - RP

Ray Peat, PhD on Thyroid, Temperature, Pulse, and TSH – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

I took a large dose of Magnesium and another 8mcg of T3 this morning and do not seem to have had the same problem as before.

P

Peatness

Well interestingly the tightness/swelling of my neck seems to have subsided and the initial reaction to T3 might have been a normal response. I posted my problem in my status and @mrchibbs responded to me with this information and a quote from Ray,

"Yeah it's temporary. I've experienced it. Most people who try thyroid supplementation experience this. Magnesium can help a lot, as typically increasing T3 depletes magnesium and causes rigidity and tension in the throat area.

“If a person has an enlarged thyroid gland, progesterone promotes secretion and unloading of the stored “colloid,” and can bring on a temporary hyperthyroid state. This is a corrective process, and in itself isn’t harmful. A thyroid supplement should be used to shrink the goiter before progesterone is given. Normal amounts of progesterone facilitate thyroid secretion, while a deficiency, with unopposed estrogen, causes the thyroid to enlarge.” - RP

Ray Peat, PhD on Thyroid, Temperature, Pulse, and TSH – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

I took a large dose of Magnesium and another 8mcg of T3 this morning and do not seem to have had the same problem as before.
What form of Magnesium did you use?

OP
D

davvid_1

thanks, this is very helpful. For me it wasnt when i started thyroid but over a year in, and i was taking some magnesium. I also didnt feel hyper at all, but comforting to know its a normal response.

Neo

this has happened twice now, very uncomfortable and sometimes interferes with my breathing at night. Yeah I lowered my dose, upped my calories and it calmed down. added some selenium and iodine just incase, but i think it might be too high a dose of t3 for a given amount of calories that does it to me. let me know what you find
Could the iodine not exacerbate it? I thought iodine supplements were useless and even possibly damaging bc the modern diet has a too much of it as is.

OP
D

davvid_1

Could the iodine not exacerbate it? I thought iodine supplements were useless and even possibly damaging bc the modern diet has a too much of it as is.
i suppose it could! i was taking no iodine before, but just thought i'd add some only temporarily ( 2 or 3 days ) as most sources say low selenium or iodine to be the cause

OP
D

davvid_1

This is a really strange sensation. This sensation seems to only happen at night when im lying on my back. suddenly and out of nowhere my thyroid gets this sensation that wakes me up and borderline chokes me, it interrupts my breathing and I get a mild, but short hyperthyroid type episode. I get a hot flush, a lot of energy and sleeplessness. then the sensation fades, and sometimes comes creeps back a couple more times a night. then it will go a way for a few months and return out of nowhere... anyone experienced similar?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals