Going To Make The DIY Carbonator

Ron J

Hello
I'm wondering if there are other alternatives to plastic bottles. If plastic is the best way to achieve the most CO2 concentration, how many times can I use a bottle before it starts breaking down and leeching too much?

biggirlkisss

you can get coke on sale or carbonated water 30 cent each can to keep carbonation. That is cheap enough. To not stress about doing it yourself.

OP
R

Ron J

you can get coke on sale or carbonated water 30 cent each can to keep carbonation. That is cheap enough. To not stress about doing it yourself.
If I buy carbonated water, I'd need half or a full 2l bottle(depends whether I use regular oj, or the frozen concentrate), which would be close to $1.50. And I avoid high fructose corn syrup.

OP
R

Ron J

Didn't think about that for carbonation. I just looked it up and I think dry ice is more expensive than a carbonator in the long run. A 5 lbs. tank can carbonate 1,500 liters, and it's quite cheap to refill.

OP
R

Ron J

Initially I was going to go with the 20 lbs., but the 5 lbs. tank is more than enough. That way I can avoid the tank recertification fee by swapping the tank.

OP
R

Ron J

I've been carbonating water for several months now. I have a question to anyone that does, or has done the same in the past: have you found any glass alternatives? I'm still using plastic 2L bottles, but I'd like to use glass instead.