Going To Donate Blood For The First Time

Peata

I have an appointment to donate blood on Friday. This is my first time ever donating. I'm excited and a little nervous. Hopefully I will do fine and not feel sick/pass out, but I feel like I'm stronger now in that regard, or I wouldn't have scheduled this.

I'm glad I can help others and also reduce iron in one step. I don't know my levels, but I figure it won't hurt, and maybe I'll even notice positive changes afterward.

I guess I should have some Coke before I go? Any other tips or experiences to share? Has donation made any lasting changes in your body?

jyb

They usually advise to drink a pint of water. Does it dilute the iron? If so should drink less...

Mittir

I believe they required people to drink water to prevent
sharp decrease in blood pressure ,which can result in fainting.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata, it's a piece of cake and thats really great you are going to donate. Only a small little ouchie for a brief moment. And like you said, it's helping other people. I get a really good feeling after I donate that I am doing something really good.

For me, I always have my lunch right before I go in to donate. Then, for after, I take milk with sugar and salt and gelatin, and then a mexican coke although I only drink a small bit of the coke. I do not eat or drink anything they offer because none of it is any good, even that water is in plastic bottles.They know me pretty good there now, and do not offer the after care snacks to me anymore.

Ray Peat said somewhere that you want to make sure your diet is pretty good if you want to donate because you do use up some nutrients for it.

superhuman

Why does donating blood help so much? is it because you get rid of the excess iron? or is there more benefits to it?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes, to get rid of excess iron.

Ray Peat said:
Excess iron is a crucial element in the transformation of stress into tissue damage by free radicals.

For about 50 years, it has been known that blood transfusions damage immunity, and excess iron has been suspected to be one of the causes for this. People who regularly donate blood, on the other hand, have often been found to be healthier than non-donors, and healthier than they were before they began donating.
Source: Iron's Dangers

superhuman

Thanx. Ok so its related to the Iron.
Last time i took a blood test the doctor told me i had anemia so he wanted me to take insane amount of iron. I didnt do it tho

OP
Peata

Peata

I will eat a meal and drink beforehand. Pretty sure that will give me less chance of feeling sick.

Thanks for the assurances, Charlie. I'll have to replenish my nutrients too.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh, and each donation can help 3 people. That's pretty awesome!

marcar72

Google "bloodletting" for an interesting historical perspective on the systematic removal of blood in humans. Back in the day it was a service one could get at a barber shop. The barber shop pole symbolizes the practice with red representing the blood and white representing the tourniquet. The practice is as old as civilization itself. :geek:

OP
Peata

Peata

First off, I didn't know they would have to stick my middle finger to test iron levels. I think they said anything under 12.5 and you can't donate. My right middle finger was 11.7 I was disappointed that maybe I couldn't donate. But she stuck my left middle finger and it was 13.

Anyone have an idea whether these numbers are good or bad in Peat-world?

Then it was time to get hooked up.

I became a little ill as soon as he started, but I tried to relax. It got worse, so he lowered the bed. I won't go into all of it, but it wasn't a great experience for the first time. I thought I was going to be OK, but then at the end it really came on, and I got sick.

They must have seen that I looked strange because suddenly several of them were at my bedside. Very close to losing the food I had eaten just before. Someone put a cold cloth on my forehead and raised my arm.

Another man stayed with me and made sure I was OK. He gave me Coke. Later I was seated at a table with snacks. He wanted me to eat a Keebler Fudge Bar. I knew it was crap but felt like I needed something solid in my tummy, so I ate a couple bites. He was very nice and reassuring, and wanted to make sure I was fine before I left.

Had to drive myself home. Started getting kinda sleepy. By the time I got home, I was feeling cold (though my temp was in the 98s), and by that time quite sleepy.

I seemed to have a dire need to get under the heat lamp. I set it up and lay under the lamp for a while until I felt better.

I didn't know I'd feel cold and sleepy afterward.

It was frustrating that I got sick, almost kind of embarrassed, though they were all very nice and helpful. I really thought I'd be fine, but I couldn't seem to help the weird and panicky feelings that came over me, especially right at the end. I guess my body didn't want to give up those last bits of blood. (They said I gave a pint).

I'm now sipping salted orange juice. I feel kinda run down like I had a long, hard day. Don't think I'll be doing much this evening.

Don't let this put you off from donating, it was just my own mind and body's reaction is all.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That stinks that happened to you. :( I have been donating over a year now, and I always watch the people and whats going on and on one occasion I did see someone start to feel woozy but everyone rushed in and fixed the situation. That is the only time I ever seen anything happen.

I usually feel good after its done. Although, one time, after I donated I went to the store and started shopping, and I just felt off. So I dropped what I was doing and headed straight home to rest. I have never felt cold though, that I can think of.

Oh, and for my finger stick thing I am always around 15.1 or so.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
marcar72 said:
Google "bloodletting" for an interesting historical perspective on the systematic removal of blood in humans. Back in the day it was a service one could get at a barber shop. The barber shop pole symbolizes the practice with red representing the blood and white representing the tourniquet. The practice is as old as civilization itself. :geek:

Wow, totally interesting. Gonna check it out. If I had a way for someone to do it at home I would do it that way. Or heck, even would hit up the barber shop for it if I could. :crazy:

Come to think of it. Might as well head on down to the red cross due to people getting help from the blood you are donating.

OP
Peata

Peata

The cold is especially in my feet. I'm wearing winter socks now and it feels great.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Are your feet usually cold?

Mittir

That is possibly a sign of low thyroid. A nurse once told me that a hypothyroid person
should not donate more than 100 ml of blood at a time. He said that regular amount of blood donation
can result it hypothermia and low blood pressure . I was not sure if he knew
what he was talking about. But it seemed possible . But then i have seen so many
people on forums donating blood without any problems.
After reading Peat I went to one blood bank and they
told me they do not take blood from people who are on thyroid med.
Red Cross also has some kind restriction on that.
I will try to donate blood again once i feel totally healthy.
If someone has low body temperature, donating blood will lower it .
Did they take your temp before taking blood?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It definitely seems like Peata took a hit to the metabolism.

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
Are your feet usually cold?

I'm not usually cold at all these days. My feet and hands were cold pre-Peat.

OP
Peata

Peata

Mittir said:
That is possibly a sign of low thyroid. A nurse once told me that a hypothyroid person
should not donate more than 100 ml of blood at a time. He said that regular amount of blood donation
can result it hypothermia and low blood pressure . I was not sure if he knew
what he was talking about. But it seemed possible . But then i have seen so many
people on forums donating blood without any problems.
After reading Peat I went to one blood bank and they
told me they do not take blood from people who are on thyroid med.
Red Cross also has some kind restriction on that.
I will try to donate blood again once i feel totally healthy.
If someone has low body temperature, donating blood will lower it .
Did they take your temp before taking blood?

Pre-donation (I had just eaten a Loaded Potato Griller -potato, cheese, bacon in flour tortilla, from Taco Bell and had Dr. Pepper)
Temp was in the 98s (I forget exactly)
BP was 120/67 (I was nervous which is prob why top number higher)
Pulse was in low 80s (which surprised me - thought it would be higher)

OP
Peata

Peata

I noticed I had no excessive bleeding from either the fingersticks or the blood draw site, despite taking aspirin daily. I only take about 1/4 to 1/3 aspirin daily though. I don't really measure, I just take nibbles off a tablet.