GOATA (Protect your joints for life)

Dave_Fit

"The study of the innate patterns displayed in locomotion and rest amongst the most durable humans on the planet."

GOATA was developed by looking at what humans who move injury free and in many cases with high performance have in common. GOATA was developed studying and analyzing slow motion video of some of the worlds greatest athletes, how babies move, how indigenous people move and rest. They discovered some very striking commonalities between all of these groups. They move for the most part the same way.

I have had hip pain for many years (15+) on my right hip, and some recent knee pain on the same side (8+ months). Through doing some of the GOATA movements for the past few weeks the pain has greatly subsided, in a way I have not experienced with all of the other things I have tried (chiropractic, physical and massage therapy, stretching routines, exercise routines, and many more too numerous to list.) I really think these guys are onto something with body mechanics in a way similar to Ray with Endocrinology and nutrition.

You can check more here:

Some of the concepts are a bow landing with your foot, knee, and hip complex when landing from walking, running, or jumping. Keeping the inside ankle bone high, and the heels moving away and out when driving forward. Ensuring you are back chain dominant which is not common among most modern people due to Cell phones, computers, desks, shoes, sitting in chairs, and weight lifting.

goata_bow.jpg

image showing the bow shaped landing, with trailing leg heel away.

Heel_away.jpg

another

and resting postures that heal:

sitting.jpg

sitting with toes in heels out, if you have the mobility on the floor, if not on a Seiza chair.

postures.jpg

or sitting in a squat, head up, on outside front of foot ankle bone high.

indigenous.jpg

standing with stacked columns, inside ankle bone high. Weight is toward 4th and 5th (pinky) metatarsals.

Anyway check out GOATA if you are interested in pain free knees, back, hips etc. tons of info online.

Last edited:
OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

Proper movement, and maintaining that ability to move is so fundamental for health, yet so overlooked.

Ben.

OMG thats the website i was trying to find a few weeks/months back!

Thank you! Thank you!

I still haven't gotten to it, but i was planning on comparing Hyperarch Fascia Training, functional patterns and GOATA with eachother

I remember i've read quite a interesting blog post on there too called Science vs. Scientism which i found very good and would recommend.

People have no idea how valuable these kind of resources are! Thanks again.

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

I really think they have stumbled onto something huge. The thing I like is that GOADA is a cohesive system, way of thinking, very much in keeping with the way Ray's ideas are cohesive and comprehensive. There is certainly some older work that predates GOATA but they have done the work with trail and error for many years to develop a comprehensive way to get from WOATA to GOATA.

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

OccamzRazer

Are you guys familiar with Ido Portal at all?

Seems to be overlapping concepts at work here.

Ben.

Yes i've seen quite some stuff from him on youtube, checked his old blod and homepage he is crazy when it comes to movement and i realy like his philosophy. On his blog i also found many great tips in how to start or progress with certain excercises to learn and build strength for calisthenics/gymnastic movements.
However he is not realy a sympathetic person ... atleast infront of the camera. Maybe the success got to his head.

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

Maybe so I mean if the movement fundamentals are universal why would no one else have found them. From what I have read so far there is less of a system in place at least that is visible with Ido, admittedly have only taken a cursory look. I will dig a little further. I do/did understand the concepts of GOADA inside ankle bone high, bow landing and corner with heels away, very quickly with just a few videos. I understand the concept of everything being a pivot system and not a lever and fulcrum system. I also get why we loose these movement abilities, with shoes, posture, sitting etc. making us front chain dominant which I am certain I am after lifting weights for 35+ years. Movement mechanics is something lacking in the health spectrum, there is more to vibrant health than eating an ancestral diet, or whatever you choose, You will likely need to relearn to move in an ancestral way. Id say as an example is PUFA is one of the worst things for a diet, sitting is one of the worst things for posture and joint health. I am excited about being healthy not only in diet, but in my ability to move well and not be injured also.

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

The book "Muscles and Meridians" copywrite 2010, is pivotal in this area of movement as well.

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

I have seen others recommend primal movement patterns before, what was new at least for me was the comparison of the greatest injury free athletes and seeing that they had these movement patterns as well. Injury free (for the most part), long career types that lasted at a high level much longer in their respective sports. The slow motion video of these athletes and indigenous peoples movement patterns is interesting in that they are basically the same. Seeing Usain Bolt, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Rafael Nadal, inside ankle bone high, setting a bow on the lead foot, and going heels away when the foot is behind and then seeing indigenous people move the same way really spoke to me. Watching them rehab people and make them better after nothing else worked was fascinating too. Then just doing a few of the drills myself and finding relief that I never have after only a few days was mind blowing. Its not just the lower body movement pattern of course but the foot is of first importance, without it responding/moving properly everything else falls apart.

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

I am just a week and a half into GOATA. Amazed by the change in posture, walking gait, and the reduction in hip, IT band, knee, low back and ankle pain. Nothing was severe but it was always there, some areas worse than others but I'd say a 60% reduction in pain more in some areas. I have been doing very little as i dont know enough to do more or if it would be recommended.

All I have done is child rocker pose (sitting on heels toes pointed toward each other and rocking front to back and side to side) I cant get my butt all the way to my heels because of the knee stiffness but I am getting a lot closer. I follow these up with some bowed and cornered hip stretches, then some bowed and cornered wall sits, always inside ankle bone high.

OccamzRazer

I am just a week and a half into GOATA.
Great stuff Dave! Just started trying some of these movements.

Nothing more to add - just commenting so more people will see this.

Movement therapy is seriously underrated on this forum!!

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

Great stuff Dave! Just started trying some of these movements.

Nothing more to add - just commenting so more people will see this.

Movement therapy is seriously underrated on this forum!!
I agree so many in our modern world have poor body mechanics causing chronic pain, me included, from years of front chain dominance, desk sitting, bad shoe choices etc. It's nice to find another piece of the puzzle for living a bullet proof life. Let me know what you find, and how it's working out for you. The Mark Bell Power Project YouTube vids with the founders of GOATA have been great, I really like Marks reaction to the information. I cant get a link to it to open at work to paste it here. MBPP EP 667

Spartan300

This makes a lot of sense to me too. Years of lifting weights and I suspect mainly squatting means my ankles are noticeably 'rolled inwards'.
Inflexibility due to low back and knee pain means I can no longer squat with weights and freestanding squats have a limited range of motion.
I'll update with results

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

This makes a lot of sense to me too. Years of lifting weights and I suspect mainly squatting means my ankles are noticeably 'rolled inwards'.
Inflexibility due to low back and knee pain means I can no longer squat with weights and freestanding squats have a limited range of motion.
I'll update with results
I’m right there with you. My entire right side is hosed up. I had a hip injury years ago that messed me up but kept squatting, deadlifting etc. eventually the knee, ankle and shoulder on that side joined. I’m certain my favoring that hip caused me to lock in bad movement patterners and over time all that WOATA front chain stuff took it’s toll, it really makes sense if you look at it and it’s really eye opening. I’m happy to be improving. I’d really love to get video analysis done cause I know I’m WOATA now. Id like to see what they would prescribe for recode as they call it.

Last edited:
A

Adf

I'll update with results
You may want to simply try incorporate the 'horse stance' in your daily routine. A static hold in the squat position, bodyweight only, trying not to have a wide stance and trying to have your toes pointing forward. You would likely have to work your way to accomplishing that, but it works wonders for many people to reduce joint pain, and increase flexibility, strength and endurance.

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

You may want to simply try incorporate the 'horse stance' in your daily routine. A static hold in the squat position, bodyweight only, trying not to have a wide stance and trying to have your toes pointing forward. You would likely have to work your way to accomplishing that, but it works wonders for many people to reduce joint pain, and increase flexibility, strength and endurance.
Thanks for the tip!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals