Goal: Reversing My Receding Hair Line With Hair Like A Fox. Let's Try!

Mufasa

I want to log my progress on my receding hair line in this thread.

So a little history, I already noticed my hair line kind of receding when I was 16 or 17. Basically, when I started a roaccutane treatment for acne. Back then, being so young, I thought it may grow back, but it never did, I guess it just kind of kick started the common male pattern hair loss pattern.

I never really had much hair loss in the sense that I would find huge amount of hair in my bed or the shower. I just have been seeing the hair on my temples and front kind of receding over the years.

After stopping roaccutane, I think for years after that, it didn't went as fast. But after some periods of intense stress, the process intensifies again. I don't notice it with seeing much direct hairs in my bed. It just that I notice some hair cuts that I could do in the past, doesn't look good anymore, because the "gaps" in the front of my hair widened a bit more than before.

Also, the hairs on the hair line, are "weaker" and "lighter", and with some hair cuts, this is much more visible, than with other hair cuts.

Now, I read Hair Like a Fox and I started seriously doing Ray Peat around February this year (I tried some Weston Price/Ray Peat hybrids diets since 2014 on and off before that, but without any success). I didn't expect much for my hair, because I figured if Ray Peat hasn't regrown his frontal hair in all those years, why would I?

Non-hair related progress (skip this section if you want)

I have had an abnormal low heart rate and temps since I'm 18. I don't know my heart rate or temps before that, because I never measured it. But my morning heart rate was around 30-40 when I was 18. I'm now 26, and it was still like that until a couple of months ago. This is the main reason I do Ray Peat, because something in me hoped that many of my "abnormal" behaviour could be related to that. So basically, I suffered to some degree from the following symptoms, some I have all my life, some got worse through out the years:

- ADD symptoms, not able to organize my life (I moved back to live at my parents home after some failures living on myself)
- much faster tired than others
- delayed sleep phase syndrome, and needing more than 9 hours of sleep, often 10 or 11 hours
- constipation and diarrhea at the same time
- pale skin
- not able to handle the sun, I just see moles popping up if I'm naked in the sun for a couple of hours
- nail and foot fungus
- puffy face
- constant inflamed skin around my neck and lungs
- low libido
- little interest in social activities (mainly because I get so tired from it)
- addictive/obsessive behaviour (mainly addicted to video games)
- dry/red eyes
- gingivitis
- reacting very badly to fast food, I get super tired, and itchy all over the place
- reacting badly to perfume and shampoo etc.

So after reading Hair Like A Fox and much information here, and way too much experimentation and failure, I have been able to get my heart rate to around 70 and my temps to 37 degrees. Sometimes in the morning it is 50 BPM and 36 degrees. So it is not perfect yet, and I'm crying when saying this, but many of the symptoms I list above are gone or greatly diminished.

I have no puffy face, much higher libido, much more interest in social contacts, no dry or red eyes. Gingivitis is 80% gone. I can handle the sun again!! The last time I was so tan, I was 12 years old. Stools are better, but not perfect yet. I have grown a good looking beard. In the past, I always had gaps in my beard, and they are all filled now.

Best of all, I have constant energy. My brain is working. I'm creative again. I think if I keep making progress like this, at some point I could live on myself, I get in tears writing that really.

Only recently, after taking 50.000 IU of vitamin A for a week daily, my delayed sleep phase syndrome is getting better. I have fallen asleep before 12 PM for two days in the last week, which is a personal record from 10 years old. I also wake up, refreshed after 8 or 9 hours. So I need around 2 hours less sleep. Well, if there is something that improves the quality of my life, it is this, because I used to fall asleep around 2am-4am.

So, I actually didn't plan to write all this, a bit off topic from my hair goal, but I'm literally in tears writing all this. I have tried to fix those "abnormal" symptoms with dieting and exercise since I'm 20. I was convinced that I could make progress initially, but nothing really seemed to work, and at 24-25 years of age, I just kind of given up, and I began to accept that I was doomed. Now since March this year, everything has gotten better. Very slowly, but consistently. Thank you Ray Peat, Haidut, Danny Roddy, and all people that teached me stuff on this forum!!!

My Hair Goal!

So back to my hair. So last week, I was looking closely at my hair line, and I saw a couple of shorter dark hairs. I won't claim this is regrown hair, because I'm not totally sure. Therefore I want to make this log, with pictures and all, so that if I really regrow hair, I can say it for sure. I like try to stay anonymous, because otherwise I don't feel comfortable being so "naked" on the internet so to say. So if you happen to know my real name, I would like it if you keep that for yourself.

I still doubt a bit if I will make real progress. To play the devil's advocate, if you can regrow hair on this diet, why hasn't Ray Peat regrown his frontal hair? In my advantage, I'm only 26, so let's hope that this increases my changes.

Some people will think that my receding hair line may actually get worse, because my testosterone levels seem to have gone higher. To be honest, if I can keep my hair line like this, and get the hairs on the hair line to look strong again, I'm already happy. Actually, even if I get bald, and can keep feeling like this, I would probably sign for it.

But for the sake of an independent experiment, and especially for the fun, I'm going to give this a real shot. Let's see if Danny Roddy's theory actually works! So here is my protocol:

1. Logging temps and pulse, in the morning, after lunch, and in the evening. Trying to keep them around 36.7-37.3 degree celsius and 75-85 BPM.

So this is the hardest part, and according to Danny Roddy the most important part. The last time I measured, it was 36.5 in the morning, 37.0 after lunch, and 36.8 in the evening. Heart rate in the morning 55, and around 65-75 during the day.

I follow pretty much the same diet as Danny Roddy. I take a bit less milk (2 quarts) and bit more orange juice (3 quarts). For the rest it is basically the same.

I take a lot of supplements. Much more than Danny Roddy would advice probably, but I have failed to get my temps up and stress low without it. I hope to need less in the future, because it is quite expensive.

I will try to log the temperature and pulse a couple of times a week. And probably post all of it, once a week.

2. Shining Red Light on my hair line for 10 minutes each day.

I haven't actually done this yet consistently. I actually shine it on my thyroid. I use the Red Light Device from Red Light Man • Light Therapy & Grow Lights. To increase my changes of success in this experiment, I will also shine it on my hair line from now on.

3. Applying Solban (caffeine, niacinamide, aspirin) to my hair line

I think haidut posted a study that topical caffeine can be helpfull with hair loss. So I will apply solban to my hair line every morning. I also haven't done this consistently yet, but I will start today.

4. Getting adequate sleep

I want to sleep from around 11PM-12PM until 8AM. This is one of my struggles, but I'm sure that sleep is one of the most important aspect of health. The problem is that which increased energy and social activities, I have the tendency to go to bed late. For the sake of this experiment, I will try to keep those nights to a minimum.

5. Measuring insulin resistant every once in a while

Every time I have a meal in public, often people come tell me that I will get myself insulin resistant if I continue to do this. In reality, my blood sugar readings have only improved. Most of the times, it is less than 140 within 45 minutes after a meal. But I will continue to measure this, if only, to prove the world wrong and that you can eat 500 gram of sugar daily, and have perfect blood sugar readings.

Okay, so that's all. I will start my protocol today. And I think I will post the "before" pictures, or the "first month" pictures somewhere this week, after I get a shorter haircut.

whodathunkit

@Mufasa, how old are you? Also, tracking your weight (atlhough you're not obliged to post it unless you want to) or measurements (waistline, etc.) might be helpful.

I'm interested, and wishing you the best of luck! :)

CoolTweetPete

Most of my success with reversing hair loss has come from topical caffeine, aspirin, and niacinamide used in conjunction with red light (and sunlight). I also added a few drops of T3 into my homemade Solban and this seems to be helping even more.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Congrats, and good luck!

FacelessMan

Following! I have been working on this too. I took Accutane also and experienced this. I took it at 16 and I'm now 27. My hair line is not receded much, its just thin on the sides in the front (early stage of recession I suppose) but thick other than that. I have been doing daily scalp massages and red light. Also, I have dermarolled the front thinning areas with 1mm dermaroller, and applied t3, sugar water, and red light after. Other than that, I started supplementing Taurine, after reading Haiduts post that 5g/day ingested gets levels up to the point of being effective for hairloss. I am also taking Lysine again, which has helped in the past. I actually have small vellus hairs that are showing up between the terminal ones already---hoping the turn into real hairs.

I'm excited to see your progress! Good luck to you! ACCUTANE SUCKS!!!!

OP
M

Mufasa

@Mufasa, how old are you? Also, tracking your weight (atlhough you're not obliged to post it unless you want to) or measurements (waistline, etc.) might be helpful.

I'm interested, and wishing you the best of luck! :)

Thanks! I'm 26 year old. My weight has been very consistent around 75-80 kg for years. I could track that, but I don't think it will change much, unless I will grow muscles out of nowhere hehe. I don't seem to be able to gain any fat on this high sugar diet.

Most of my success with reversing hair loss has come from topical caffeine, aspirin, and niacinamide used in conjunction with red light (and sunlight). I also added a few drops of T3 into my homemade Solban and this seems to be helping even more.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Congrats, and good luck!

Cool! I'm not sure if I'm able to get my hands on T3, but I will make sure I apply Solban consistently.

Following! I have been working on this too. I took Accutane also and experienced this. I took it at 16 and I'm now 27. My hair line is not receded much, its just thin on the sides in the front (early stage of recession I suppose) but thick other than that. I have been doing daily scalp massages and red light. Also, I have dermarolled the front thinning areas with 1mm dermaroller, and applied t3, sugar water, and red light after. Other than that, I started supplementing Taurine, after reading Haiduts post that 5g/day ingested gets levels up to the point of being effective for hairloss. I am also taking Lysine again, which has helped in the past. I actually have small vellus hairs that are showing up between the terminal ones already---hoping the turn into real hairs.

I'm excited to see your progress! Good luck to you! ACCUTANE SUCKS!!!!

Yes, accutane sucks hard! My mother says my personality changed for the worse after taking roaccutane, I always denied that, but I guess she could see it better than me.

I do actually take 8-12 gram taurine since February. So I'm sure I will keep doing that. I was also thinking about maybe adding some taurine to the solban bottle, so that I can apply it topically, not totally sure about the dosages and how good idea that is.

OP
M

Mufasa

I've been measuring since yesterday, and I get my haircut tomorrow and will post some pictures then.

About my diet plan, I've been writing it down a bit:

- 6 meals, in 2.5 hour intervals
- each meal consists of: 500 ml OJ, 333 ml skim milk (0.5% fat), 10 gram gelatin sheet
- with each meal I eat sometimes an egg, sometimes an oyster, sometimes mushroom soup, sometimes nothing
- I eat a carrot daily
- I sometimes take a teaspoon of coconut oil if I feel like it
- to each 1000 ml of skim milk I add 50 gram of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 4 gram taurine, 650 mg niacinamide
- to each 1000 ml of OJ, I add 600 mg thiamin
- I don't drink coffee, but sometimes I add 200-600 mg of caffeine to a meal
- I sometimes add 1000 mg of lysine to a meal
- I apply 10 drops of kuinone, and 10 drops of lapodin to my arms twice a day
- 50.000 IU of vitamin A daily, and some vitamin E with it
- 5mg biotin

marteagal

@Mufasa, you said that you cannot maintain a high body temperature unless taking supplements and, as derived from your posts, you use SolBan, taurine, thiamine, niacinamide, biotin, lysine, kuinone, lapodin, caffeine, vitamins A and E.
Were you able to track down which of those were the most powerful supplement(s) to raise temperature? Likely not, but still curious.

OP
M

Mufasa

@Mufasa, you said that you cannot maintain a high body temperature unless taking supplements and, as derived from your posts, you use SolBan, taurine, thiamine, niacinamide, biotin, lysine, kuinone, lapodin, caffeine, vitamins A and E.
Were you able to track down which of those were the most powerful supplement(s) to raise temperature? Likely not, but still curious.

I have done some experimentation, in the sense that I try to leave out things so now and then. It is a little bit of a guess, but this is what my experimentation and "gut" feelings says.

Kuinone and especially lapodin raise my temperature to 37.0 degree during the day. For me, applying that to my skin feels like injecting pure youth to my veins. If I don't take lapodin, I sometimes can't go over 36.5 even after lunch. If I take it in the morning, I'm 36.8+ after breakfast.

I take taurine, for stress reduction. I seem to be more patient and more easy going with it. I used to take theanine as well, which also works great, but expensive and I think I don't need it as much anymore.

Without biotin, niacinamide and thiamin, my insulin sensitivity is a bit worse. Because I'm eating 80 gram of sugar every 2 and half hour, I'm afraid that I will develop insulin problems. So this week, I'm on average 15 min after a meal around 8.0 mmol/L. Below 7.0 mmol/L (125 mg/dl) within 30 min. Below 6.0 (106) within 45 min. This has really improved. When I began measuring it was still around 7.0 mmol/L after 2 hours. I think that is considered "normal", but just to be sure, I like to keep insulin sensitivity as good as possible.

This is one reason, why I like to eat kind of the same in every meal (500 ml OJ, 333 ml skim milk), because in that way I can more easily measure my insulin sensitivity and compare results.

By the way, if sleep too little, my insulin sensitivity becomes much worse in the afternoon and evening. Just something that I noticed, and I find interesting. Also, if I do reduced breathing, my insulin sensitivity seems to improve. I think that is one reason why it is so good this week.

My pulse was always low, even if my temps are high, and only recently since I take very high dosage vitamin A, it seems to get to 70-80 BPM. I don't understand why people say it is anti thyroid, because it seems to me one of the most pro thyroid substances I have ever touched. I take Retinil from idealabs btw. And I take some Tocovit (vitamin E) with it.

So that is kind of the reasoning behind all my supplements :)

OP
M

Mufasa

Do you eat them 'raw'? I was wondering if I could simply put some 'raw' gelatin sheet in my mouth without negative effects.

I put them in cold water for 10 min. and then eat them "raw".

Ukall

I put them in cold water for 10 min. and then eat them "raw".
Hmm, I see. So the water becomes a little jelly? But if you put in your mouth it also dissolves. However, I still don't know if this is a healthy way to eat gelatin xD

Last edited:

tara

Congratulations Mufasa. Looks like you've had some really important improvements.

marteagal

@Mufasa, thank you very much for your detailed reply!!! Great to read that kuinone and lapodin made the biggest difference to your temps. Never tried them before, but I have put them on my shopping list.

EDIT: I just saw that both supplements contain DMSO. Right now, I don't want to touch this agent, but perhaps at a later point in time.

Last edited:

johnwester130

Honestly, I do believe DHT causes hair loss.

But does this mean you should block DHT ? No, it doesn't. This is the problem and predicament.

OP
M

Mufasa

@Mufasa, thank you very much for your detailed reply!!! Great to read that kuinone and lapodin made the biggest difference to your temps. Never tried them before, but I have put them on my shopping list.

EDIT: I just saw that both supplements contain DMSO. Right now, I don't want to touch this agent, but perhaps at a later point in time.

The DMSO is added so that the topical absorption is much better. I think this is especially beneficial with lapodin. If you want to try out vitamin K2, I think healthnatura and thorne also sell good quality vitamin K2 products.

Congratulations Mufasa. Looks like you've had some really important improvements.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
OP
M

Mufasa

First photos

So here are the first pictures.

Left front:
55lxI1S.jpg

So this a the place where I suspect regrowth to have happened. I see a couple of smaller hairs on the hair line

K34QZGO.jpg

With longer hair, this is more visible, but the hair on the temples are much weaker and lighter than the other hairs on the side. I don't know if this has improved, since before I started this diet, but there use to be constant inflamed skin around the hairs of the temple, also sometimes acne in my actual hair line. The skin on my temples seems to be better now.

Right front:

87fSNlm.jpg

I used to have a constant itch around this place, I think this side is a bit worse than the other side, you can more see the skin around the hair line, and the hairs here look weaker.

ojdtJE2.jpg

The temples here are pretty much the same as the other side.

Frontal hair:

PJioMD1.png

I'm pretty sure that there are some new hairs on the frontal area. It is actually a bit ugly, because those hairs don't stay in model hehe.

1nJ3UJc.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-17_11-36-16.png
    upload_2016-6-17_11-36-16.png
    256.4 KB · Views: 55
  • upload_2016-6-17_11-36-29.png
    upload_2016-6-17_11-36-29.png
    256.4 KB · Views: 47
OP
M

Mufasa

Okay, little update.

If I take photos from the same angle with the same lighting, my hairline looks pretty much the same, but I was taking photos now in bright sunlight, and I noticed a lot of allmost invisbile very small light hairs:

1rIsksh.jpg

YKwWIoY.jpg

I guess this I kind of good news, because apparently, there are hairs follicles there :) Now I only need to find a way to get those hairs follicles alive again, and make them grow into thick pigmented hairs.

About my metabolism. It's around 37.0-37.3 degrees (orally) from around 11:00 until 23:00. Right when I wake up (around 9 am), it is around 35.-36.4. And when I go to bed, it is also around 36.0-36.4.

My morning temperature seems to be increasing lately, so I will make sure to keep tracking that.

My pulse is super strange, I was wearing a band that constantly measured my pulse for a day. And it super fluctuating, in the morning around 50-70, some what later 55-75, and in the afternoon around 60-85. But it is constantly going up and down, within 5 min really. So for example, I'm meditating, and I just watch my pulse, and it is around 75. Then 5 min later it is around 60. Then 2 min later it is around 75 again.

I'm finally having regular bowel movements, 1 or 2 daily :) Fingers crossed haha, because I don't want to curse myself :) My stools are still kind of stinky though. Surely not watery, but I won't say they are as perfect as they should be. Sometimes I need a lot of toilet paper.

EIRE24

Okay, little update.

If I take photos from the same angle with the same lighting, my hairline looks pretty much the same, but I was taking photos now in bright sunlight, and I noticed a lot of allmost invisbile very small light hairs:

1rIsksh.jpg

YKwWIoY.jpg

I guess this I kind of good news, because apparently, there are hairs follicles there :) Now I only need to find a way to get those hairs follicles alive again, and make them grow into thick pigmented hairs.

About my metabolism. It's around 37.0-37.3 degrees (orally) from around 11:00 until 23:00. Right when I wake up (around 9 am), it is around 35.-36.4. And when I go to bed, it is also around 36.0-36.4.

My morning temperature seems to be increasing lately, so I will make sure to keep tracking that.

My pulse is super strange, I was wearing a band that constantly measured my pulse for a day. And it super fluctuating, in the morning around 50-70, some what later 55-75, and in the afternoon around 60-85. But it is constantly going up and down, within 5 min really. So for example, I'm meditating, and I just watch my pulse, and it is around 75. Then 5 min later it is around 60. Then 2 min later it is around 75 again.

I'm finally having regular bowel movements, 1 or 2 daily :) Fingers crossed haha, because I don't want to curse myself :) My stools are still kind of stinky though. Surely not watery, but I won't say they are as perfect as they should be. Sometimes I need a lot of toilet paper.

What helped best with the bowel movements?