Go-to for a cold / sore throat / cough?

FredSonoma

Hi all,

I've been sick for a while now - getting close to three weeks. My sore throat is bad enough that it sounds like I've almost completely lost my voice - I'm whispering most of the time. I generally feel kind of feverish - my legs feel really achy. My roommate is also sick - he got sick about 4 days after me and we have similar symptoms. He is generally healthy as far as I can tell - low body fat, no facial edema, lots of energy all day, and can focus for long hours at a time (he doesn't Peat).

I suspect that this might have to do with a change I made about a week before getting sick - I started eating roasted red peppers (in large amounts, and they contain some vinegar) because I was craving sht out of them - I know the vinegar isn't good because the lactic acid but I was craving them so strongly that I thought it must mean something. I also completely cut out raw milk. Between these two things, my bloating has improved somewhat and I generally feel better. I'm thinking a lot of bacteria in my intestine may have died from this, weakening my immune system / giving me these symptoms? I'm not sure.

What can I do now to get over this cold? I'm trying high doses of Vitamin D right now.

D

Derek

Is there lactic acid in vinegar? If peppers have vinegar as an ingredient it's usually acetic or malic acid.

Here is a good tea for sore throat: Cup hot water, 2tbsp ginger juice, 1tbsp honey

Lilac

Peat writes about people getting sick at Christmas. We're not quite there yet, but I have, over the years, often gotten a cold in early December. Can you get sun in a south-facing window or use artificial lights?

I had a two-day headache (unusual) about a week ago, and it felt as if a cold was coming on. The second day I woke up with the headache, I finally had time to go under my big lightbulb. About a half hour after that, the headache was gone and for good.

Peata

Gargling with salt water can help with a sore throat.

tara

FredSonoma said:
post 113350 I know the vinegar isn't good because the lactic acid
Derek said:
post 113360 If peppers have vinegar as an ingredient it's usually acetic or malic acid.
Yeah, I think the acid in vinegar is mainly acetic and/or malic (esp. ACV), not lactic. Whether that's a problem depends on the the rest of the system, but it's not necessarily a burden for everyone. Peat recommends a little vinegar on carrot salad.

Last time I got a cold, I attacked it with raw garlic in my carrot salad, warm lemon and honey drink, a couple of gargles with zinc, a little supplementary vit-C, and when my nose got congested I taped my mouth at night for a couple of days till it cleared to help keep CO2 levels up. I think those things helped a bit. I don't now whether Peat would recommend any of them, except maybe keeping mouth shut.

But if you've got a significant fever and achy body and it's gone on for a while, maybe it's a flu? I reckon I had one of those for a couple of days earlier this year (first one in a long time). Wasn't much I could do except lie in bed for two days and try to keep hydrated and get a little juice in.

Lilac said:
post 113373 I finally had time to go under my big lightbulb. About a half hour after that, the headache was gone and for good.
Nice. :)

Last edited by a moderator: