Glyphosate In Cereal And Oats

OP
alywest

alywest

It really is sad to see all this play out. Now Florida is in a state of emergency because no one has done anything about the excessive fertilizers being dumped in the ocean. Corporate interests matter more than even the tourism!
I feel that all the innocence of this world is gone. The still innocent are just like sheep to the slaughter unless we protect them, and yet there's little we can actually do because we are not the ones with power. Or at least we have convinced ourselves that that's true, so we let this continue. I'm grateful that there are organic options available, although I hardly even trust those anymore. And of course, the poor and even the dwindling middle class can barely afford organic foods. We have to work for these corporations so we don't have the time to research our foods and shop locally as you pointed out, Janelle. I have thought so much lately about taking a lesser paying job and living in a smaller house so we have the time and energy to perhaps grow some of our own food, make more of it at home, and shop locally or at least organic. We are all so busy pushing ourselves to keep getting more and more that we have become slaves to these corporations! They own us! Let's not fool ourselves!

Frankdee20

Oats are estrogenic anyway. Must be why horses sow their wild oats

zewe

Millions Against Monsanto

Need I say more:
Monsanto was unyielding, saying its position is supported by the EPA, the National Institutes of Health and agencies around the world.

InChristAlone

I'd really like more publicity on atrazine and 2,4-D. Everyone knows Monsanto is evil. What about Dow and Syngenta? Atrazine is literally contaminating most drinking water and messsing with endocrine function and I hear diddly squat about it. Anyway, I'm just pissed how we now have corporate fascism and yet people just argue over left and right wing politics. Back and forth. Divide and conquer.

InChristAlone

I feel that all the innocence of this world is gone. The still innocent are just like sheep to the slaughter unless we protect them, and yet there's little we can actually do because we are not the ones with power. Or at least we have convinced ourselves that that's true, so we let this continue. I'm grateful that there are organic options available, although I hardly even trust those anymore. And of course, the poor and even the dwindling middle class can barely afford organic foods. We have to work for these corporations so we don't have the time to research our foods and shop locally as you pointed out, Janelle. I have thought so much lately about taking a lesser paying job and living in a smaller house so we have the time and energy to perhaps grow some of our own food, make more of it at home, and shop locally or at least organic. We are all so busy pushing ourselves to keep getting more and more that we have become slaves to these corporations! They own us! Let's not fool ourselves!
Absolutely correct!

Badger

With the truckloads of money they make from it, they have little or no choice but to be unyielding. If they said, "Yes, you're right, it's poisonous, sorry about that," would open them up to countless law suites they would lose.

Millions Against Monsanto

Need I say more:
Monsanto was unyielding, saying its position is supported by the EPA, the National Institutes of Health and agencies around the world.

Badger

Last edited:

Badger

More bad news, based on Consumer Reports data, about toxic food products just out:
"Testing of dozens of the most popular packaged foods for babies and toddlers turned up noticeable and even “worrisome” levels of lead and other heavy metals, according to the watchdog Consumer Reports. The group said its analysis showed every product it examined had measurable levels of at least one of the heavy metals for which it tested: cadmium, inorganic arsenic, mercury and lead." Note this quote: "The analysis also found that products marketed as organic were not more likely to have lower levels of heavy metals."
Testing turns up heavy metals in baby food; what Consumer Reports says parents need to know | WTOP

Jackrabbit

More bad news, based on Consumer Reports data, about toxic food products just out:
"Testing of dozens of the most popular packaged foods for babies and toddlers turned up noticeable and even “worrisome” levels of lead and other heavy metals, according to the watchdog Consumer Reports. The group said its analysis showed every product it examined had measurable levels of at least one of the heavy metals for which it tested: cadmium, inorganic arsenic, mercury and lead." Note this quote: "The analysis also found that products marketed as organic were not more likely to have lower levels of heavy metals."
Testing turns up heavy metals in baby food; what Consumer Reports says parents need to know | WTOP
Not to mention the heavy metals we are shooting into their arms and putting in their mouths in the form of dental fillings

dbh25

Looks like 1974 is when Monsanto brought it to market
I used to eat all those processed foods in the 80s- instant oats, cereal, cookies, frozen pizza, white bread, crackers, etc.
How terrible no one knew back then.

OP
alywest

alywest

I'd really like more publicity on atrazine and 2,4-D. Everyone knows Monsanto is evil. What about Dow and Syngenta? Atrazine is literally contaminating most drinking water and messsing with endocrine function and I hear diddly squat about it. Anyway, I'm just pissed how we now have corporate fascism and yet people just argue over left and right wing politics. Back and forth. Divide and conquer.
Yes, as well as the more well-known companies; will they ever be held accountable? Are we to believe that they are totally ignorant of the fact that Roundup is not something that should be in their finished product? Like General Mills, etc. Shame on them! Monsanto does get the lion's share of the blame for marketing the product roundup for sure, but just because it's for sale doesn't mean that these companies need to use it. And that goes for the other, equally horrendous chemicals you have mentioned! Now are they just going to "innocently" turn to those?
The farmers aren't to blame because they are being pushed by the companies for which they are providing their produce (ie. wheat, oats, etc.) If they can't produce x amount by a certain date for a certain price then General Mills will find another farmer who will. And since the finished product isn't being marketed as "organic" the General Mills of the world are somehow justified? I mean, I guess I always knew that there was a certain amount of all these chemicals in non-organic foods, but who could have known the extent of it? I don't understand why the major food companies aren't being held accountable. And the FDA! Imagine the poor kids who pretty much live on cereal and as if the ingredients listed on the label weren't bad enough. Why aren't they covering this around the clock on the news? Oh yeah...advertising dollars!

Badger

If you google around,you will find frozen pizzas typically contain aluminum.

I used to eat all those processed foods in the 80s- instant oats, cereal, cookies, frozen pizza, white bread, crackers, etc.
How terrible no one knew back then.

zewe

Well, you could organize, right here, with members, boycotts of companies with contaminated products. You'll all have to write the companies and tell them why you're boycotting and get as many friends and family to write and have them get their friends and family and so on.....Boycotts work because money is the only thing these people understand.

Then you'd have to start writing letters to your representatives and the FDA and the EPA and maybe flood the White House with letters demanding a stop to it all.....getting your friends and family and their friends and family to do the same.
And you'll have to keep this up year after year....

Ready to start? Let's go........

You see moaning and complaining never changes anything.

OP
alywest

alywest

Well, you could organize, right here, with members, boycotts of companies with contaminated products. You'll all have to write the companies and tell them why you're boycotting and get as many friends and family to write and have them get their friends and family and so on.....Boycotts work because money is the only thing these people understand.

Then you'd have to start writing letters to your representatives and the FDA and the EPA and maybe flood the White House with letters demanding a stop to it all.....getting your friends and family and their friends and family to do the same.
And you'll have to keep this up year after year....

Ready to start? Let's go........

You see moaning and complaining never changes anything.
I agree that complaining isn't going to change anything. However, I'm not sure that writing letters is going to, either. I agree that the almighty dollar is all they care about. I'm thinking more along the lines of class action lawsuits, but until they make a concrete connection between these chemicals and actual resulting illnesses, how can we do that? The lawsuit by the school groundskeeper was a great win because it showed that a jury will find for the victim, but that is one person. And he had a clear connection between the cancer and the direct use of roundup. Any lawyers on this forum?

zewe

I agree that complaining isn't going to change anything. However, I'm not sure that writing letters is going to, either. I agree that the almighty dollar is all they care about. I'm thinking more along the lines of class action lawsuits, but until they make a concrete connection between these chemicals and actual resulting illnesses, how can we do that? The lawsuit by the school groundskeeper was a great win because it showed that a jury will find for the victim, but that is one person. And he had a clear connection between the cancer and the direct use of roundup. Any lawyers on this forum?

Boycotts work.....I know from experience. Are any willing to put the time and work into it, raising public awareness and getting more support?

And yes you have to write letters, not emails which are easy to make go away or ignore.
Write to your local papers too.

Ask your schools to stop serving any of these products.....get other parents involved....Go to school board meetings and demand they take them out of the schools....and tell the papers what you're doing at the school board meeting....ask they send a reporter.....You don't need kids in school to attend....You just need to be concerned for humanity.

There are many ways an individual can take action.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
have thought so much lately about taking a lesser paying job and living in a smaller house so we have the time and energy to perhaps grow some of our own food, make more of it at home, and shop locally or at least organic
I think that's a great idea @alywest.

That's what we've been working toward for a while now. We got the downsizing accomplished last year and a garden going this year. We still have a ways to go and it takes some planning and effort but it's well worth it. One step closer to freedom.

I do worry about roundup being in our well water because there are multiple seed corn fields near us. Does anyone know if that's possible?

OP
alywest

alywest

But you see, it's not just the products that are being mentioned. It's everywhere! Basically any non-organic grain or fruit or vegetable is inundated with toxic chemicals. And what to boycott? As Janelle525 mentioned, as soon as they stop using glyphosate there are several other possibly worse alternatives that are set to take its place. Acting at the local level perhaps to convince the schools to only serve organic fruits and veggies and to use organic ingredients in the foods they prepare...I think it's worth a try. But it won't work if people don't see the value in spending the extra money on the organic products, and as it stands, people are so in debt and have so many expenses in their lives that organic food is a luxury and not a necessity. You seem really knowledgeable about this, so my question to you is wouldn't targeting the FDA specifically be the way to go?

Boycotts work.....I know from experience. Are any willing to put the time and work into it, raising public awareness and getting more support?

And yes you have to write letters, not emails which are easy to make go away or ignore.
Write to your local papers too.

Ask your schools to stop serving any of these products.....get other parents involved....Go to school board meetings and demand they take them out of the schools....and tell the papers what you're doing at the school board meeting....ask they send a reporter.....You don't need kids in school to attend....You just need to be concerned for humanity.

There are many ways an individual can take action.

zewe

Here, if any want to get these foods away from schools serving them......cherrios are always on the menu.....Maybe you could work to get these products off the WIC [Women Infants and Children] lists of free food for the poor....doesn't matter if you don't eat them....help those who don't have a voice before they're poisoned with your tax dollar support.
----------------
How to Start a Petition That Will Make the Right Impact

Learning how to start a petition is valuable for a neighborhood or community activist, even if you're new in that role today! Seriously, it's easy. We'll walk you through it.

Petition writing isn't time-consuming or especially demanding. But there are a few do's and don'ts that will make your petition drive have more impact on its recipients.

When you consider how to start a petition, don't be too creative. Stay with a format that decision makers will recognize instantly.

Start your petition writing with the words "We the undersigned…" Then ideally you can complete the sentence with your main point in five to ten words. For example, you might write, "We the undersigned oppose the zoning proposal of ABC Corporation at 123 Main Street."

If your drive is primarily the project of one well-respected organization, it is all right to include that fact. For example you might begin with, "We the undersigned members and friends of the West Side Neighborhood Association respectfully request that you consider our position against the multi-family zoning

Many people arriving at this site are searching for information on writing a legal petition. In addition to following these tips, if you are creating a petition that has to conform to legal rules, be very clear on the pertinent law. Have an attorney draft the petition if you are not sure what is required. An attorney in your neighborhood may be willing to do this work free (called "pro bono" work) if it is not very time-consuming.

On this site we are concentrating on drives that are intended to influence, but not to force an action in a legal sense. In that event, you do not need an attorney ....

Continue Reading:
How to Start a Petition to Change Policy