Glycoalkaloid Content Of Potatoes – A Cause For Concern For People With Arthritis, AS, Crohn’s And

Logan-

Do you think high glycoalkaloid content of potatoes is a cause for concern for people with chronic inflammatory conditions like RA, AS, Crohn’s etc.?

I know avoiding the green parts of the potatoes is a way of reducing the glycoalkaloid amount we ingest. Peeling the potatoes before cooking is another helpful method. Are there any other methods to employ to reduce the glycoalkaloids we ingest when eating potatoes? Does different cooking methods affect the glycoalkaloid structure and reduce the amount?

Wagner83

There are posts by amazoniac and Travis on it, you can search for "potatoes" posted by "_" . Off the bold top of my head: sunlight affects them negatively, if you steam them don't drink the broth, different varieties have different amounts (travis had a nice table from a study) , if one has green parts then the whole potatoe is likely concentrated in toxins.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Glycoalkaloids are found throughout the potato tubers, but concentrate in the sprouts, peel and the area around the potato ‘eyes' (Figure 2). In normal tubers, glycoalkaloids are concentrated in a small 1.5 mm layer immediately under the skin (i.e. 30 to 80% of the glycoalkaloids are found in the outer peel). According to a study conducted by the CFS in 2007, the glycoalkaloid content (alpha-solanine and alpha-chaconine) of five cultivars of tubers available in the Hong Kong market ranged from 26 to 88 mg/kg fresh weight. While glycoalkaloids were below 10 mg/kg in the flesh of these potatoes, glycoalkaloids in the peel varied between 90 and 400 mg/kg. Peeling of potatoes will greatly reduce the levels of glycoalkaloids present.