Glycine Vs Powdered Gelatin

aquaman

Some people react better to one or the other. Only solution is to perceive, think, act: ie see what works for you.

cyclops

I'd don't have a negative reaction to either thankfully. I only prefer glycine because it is simpler I just scoop it out of the bag. With the powdered gelatin, I get the Great Lakes Red Can and actually make it into gelatin by adding it to water and stirring it. I should have included that in the original post: I want to compare Glycine to Powdered Gelatin that has actually been "jellied."

I'm guessing the Gelatin has the benefit of a few other beneficial amino acids, but it also goes bad after a few days it seems once its been jelled. I would also rather not have to prepare it. You have to eat more of it and I don't enjoy the taste. So the question becomes is glycine pretty much just as good?

I like to take some when I eat muscle meat and would rather just use the glycine if it's pretty much the same benefit.

Kartoffel

I don't know of any commercially available gelatine that is safe. They are all full of endotoxin. Glycine is a very safe supplement because it is such a simple substance

cyclops

I don't know of any commercially available gelatine that is safe. They are all full of endotoxin. Glycine is a very safe supplement because it is such a simple substance

This is a good point. Think I'll stick with glycine then. It's simpler and no endotoxin.

yerrag

Could you explain about the endotoxin in gelatin? I'm more concerned about the glyphosate in gelatin, preferring now glycine (although I haven't used it) because I'm assured I'm getting glyphosate-uncontaminated glycine.

Kartoffel

Could you explain about the endotoxin in gelatin? I'm more concerned about the glyphosate in gelatin, preferring now glycine (although I haven't used it) because I'm assured I'm getting glyphosate-uncontaminated glycine.

Gelatine is mostly made from animal skin, the perfect breading ground for the gram-negative bacteria that release endotoxin. Skin cells constantly shed and die quickly so any product made from dead animal's skin is likely to contain significant amounts of it. That's why companies are trying to develop low-endotoxin gelatine for medical purposes.

Development of low endotoxin gelatin for regenerative medicine. - PubMed - NCBI

yerrag

Dobbler

Glycine powder gives me huge and long lasting nausea , where as gelatin has never done that even at 60g dosage at once

Fractality

I just asked Ray but I think he would say glycine supplements have manufacturing contaminants too.

nad

Zint Unflavored Gelatin Powder - Kosher Beef Gelatin - Pasture Raised 2 Lb, $35, from Wallmart online order

Mountain

Gelatine is mostly made from animal skin, the perfect breading ground for the gram-negative bacteria that release endotoxin. Skin cells constantly shed and die quickly so any product made from dead animal's skin is likely to contain significant amounts of it. That's why companies are trying to develop low-endotoxin gelatine for medical purposes.

Development of low endotoxin gelatin for regenerative medicine. - PubMed - NCBI

I think that's more of an issue in that case because raw/exposed tissue will be exposed directly to the gelatine. Any endotoxin present will act as a Pathogen-Associated Molecular Pattern (PAMP) where it will trigger an immune response -- like how endotoxin exerts its negative effects in sepsis. I don't think it will have such a pronounced affect when eaten, because the barrier first line of defence is still intact. Could be wrong though, I'll look into it more and update.

sladerunner69

Interesting point there. Do you have a source on this, or is it an observation made from your own experience with gelatin? I ask because Dr Peat has recommended gelatin on many occasions, and he makes a habit of researching all of his foods for potential dangers. Furthermore, I had thought endotoxin was a bacteria that fed upon carbs, not protien. That is why starch in particular can raise endotoxin.