Glycine Virtually Eliminates Adverse GI Effects Of Aspirin

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted a study earlier on co-administration of glycine improving the absorption of aspirin. It looks like it also prevents the negative GI symptoms of aspirin intake in some people. The ratio needed is 2:1 in favor of aspirin, which means that if you are taking 1g of aspirin, you need to take 500mg of glycine with it. I have tried it myself, and it not only removed whatever minor GI symptoms aspirin was giving me, but it also removed the insomnia effect that high doses of aspirin had for me when taken before bed. Last night I took 2g of aspirin with 1g of glycine and had the best sleep in months, without waking up even once. Previously, 2g of aspirin before bed would keep me sweating and awake for hours.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14964343

"...To determine the tolerability of a glycine (Gly)-containing acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) preparation (Gly-ASA), investigators selected 1135 patients already receiving longterm antiplatelet therapy for a noninterventional trial of Gly-ASA 50 to 300 mg daily. After an average treatment period of 42.6 days, tolerability rating scores and the frequency of 5 gastrointestinal (GI) complaints were compared with those reported for any previous treatment, including plain ASA. After treatment with Gly-ASA, the mean percentage of patients without GI complaints increased more than 2-fold, from 28.2% to 60.6%. Furthermore, the mean percentage of patients reporting any GI symptoms as "always" present decreased from 8.5% to 0.5%. Gly-ASA tolerability was rated "excellent" or "good" by 98% of the patients. "

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract
"...The relative solubility and rate of dissolution of aspirin in water and glycine solution have been measured. A technique involving a mathematical examination of the front profile of chromatograms has been used to study the extent of the adsorption of glycine from aqueous solution on aspirin. Aspirin is more soluble and more rapidly dissolved in glycine solution than water, and glycine is found to adsorb, in significant amounts, on aspirin crystals. The findings are discussed in an attempt to explain, in physico-chemical terms, differences in taste and adhesion to the oral mucosa that are discernible when aspirin tablets compounded with or without glycine are savoured."

Looks like some countries even sell a packaged combo already:
http://www.ganpatidropshippers.com/gene ... ycine.html

SQu

Re: Glycine virtually eliminates adverse GI effects of aspir

Thanks for great info! I love aspirin. I've been taking a non prescription cold remedy in the evenings which you add hot water to and drink. It's 800 mg aspirin, 50 mg caffeine, 45 mg ascorbic acid, 2.6 mg menthol and 4254 mg sucrose. I've been adding extra sugar and fructose, and 2 tablespoons gelatin to it just because it's an easy way to get gelatin. At 35% glycine if 2 tbs is 30g that's a bit over 10g of glycine .
According to this it looks like a teaspoon of gelatin would be plenty at about 1.7g but do you think taking more gelatin earlier in the evening might help with later doses of aspirin? I often take aspirin at night when I wake up. It's one of those things that sometimes helps me get back to sleep and stay asleep, but not always. Actually everything I do is like that. It's the staying asleep that's the issue.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

sueq said:
Thanks for great info! I love aspirin. I've been taking a non prescription cold remedy in the evenings which you add hot water to and drink. It's 800 mg aspirin, 50 mg caffeine, 45 mg ascorbic acid, 2.6 mg menthol and 4254 mg sucrose. I've been adding extra sugar and fructose, and 2 tablespoons gelatin to it just because it's an easy way to get gelatin. At 35% glycine if 2 tbs is 30g that's a bit over 10g of glycine .
According to this it looks like a teaspoon of gelatin would be plenty at about 1.7g but do you think taking more gelatin earlier in the evening might help with later doses of aspirin? I often take aspirin at night when I wake up. It's one of those things that sometimes helps me get back to sleep and stay asleep, but not always. Actually everything I do is like that. It's the staying asleep that's the issue.

There is a well-done, widely-cited, human study showing 3g glycine at bedtime pretty much eliminated sleep problems.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 2A8.f01t01

If you take aspirin before bed I'd definitely up my glycine/gelatin intake as well to get even better sleep and protect the stomach from aspirin. I posted another study showing glycine exerts most of its actions at "surprisingly" low doses of 500mg-1,000mg a day. So, your 30g of gelatin is plenty I think.

SQu

Ok, going to have it just before bed then. Thanks!

Suikerbuik

At the end of the week when you're tired and your sleeping is affected aspirin really helps you sleep like a baby, at least for me. Also the energy is increased, hands warm up immediately - like 5mcg T3 thyroid hormone can do.
However after I have been using it for about 3 days, 500-2000 mg/day tried different doses. I really become fatigued, also feel like it stresses the kidneys (uric acid probably - I've been tested slightly above refenrence for uric acid a few years ago without any aspirin).

Thyroid hormone doesn't introduce any of these issues. I still suspect there's more, maybe something with the antibody response and endotoxin exposure like J. mentioned. I only tried aspirin max. 5 days, but tried this a few times over again but I keep experiencing the same. I am also not convinced that aspirin really is something that's required, so I keep it with thyroid.

schultz

I've never heard of this before, but it is really interesting. Thank you for posting these.

Yesterday I stumbled upon an old Chris Masterjohn article in which he says...

"Muscle meats and eggs are very rich in methionine, which increases our need for homocysteine-neutralizing nutrients (vitamins B6, B12, folate, betaine, and choline), and also increases our need for the amino acid glycine..."

and...

"Glycine is depleted in the detoxification of excess methionine"

So would eating a lot of muscle meats - and very little gelatinous meats/gelatin - increase ones sensitivity (in a negative way) to aspirin?

I also wonder if this would also increase - or if glycine would decrease - gut sensitivity to other things such as gluten, dairy or other things that people claim to have issues with?

If the latter is true it would be kind of funny in a way because people who eat a specific paleo diet devoid of glycine would sort of make themselves intolerable to those things. This is speculation of course and I'm in no way trying to hate on the paleo community, just making conversation.

Peata

Glycine definitely stops or prevents the GI effect of aspirin for me.

Greg says

haidut said:
I posted a study earlier on co-administration of glycine improving the absorption of aspirin. It looks like it also prevents the negative GI symptoms of aspirin intake in some people.

I have just been experimenting with 600mg of aspirin a day and immediately felt its positive effects. Warmth, happier, just more healthy. BUT… after a week I could feel the ringing in my ears, gassy, bubbly stomach, brain fog and fatigue and coughing up mucus.

Im now taking glycine hoping for this to pass.

What is the aspirin doing and what is the glycine doing to correct this?

RP says that the stomach will adapt to the aspirin but its a tough decision to carry on with it if its making one sicker. I really want to carry on with the aspirin.

I read haidut saying it depleted glycine but I take tons of glycine. 1 large tbsp a night. [which really helps sleep].

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Greg says said:
haidut said:
I posted a study earlier on co-administration of glycine improving the absorption of aspirin. It looks like it also prevents the negative GI symptoms of aspirin intake in some people.

I have just been experimenting with 600mg of aspirin a day and immediately felt its positive effects. Warmth, happier, just more healthy. BUT… after a week I could feel the ringing in my ears, gassy, bubbly stomach, brain fog and fatigue and coughing up mucus.

Im now taking glycine hoping for this to pass.

What is the aspirin doing and what is the glycine doing to correct this?

RP says that the stomach will adapt to the aspirin but its a tough decision to carry on with it if its making one sicker. I really want to carry on with the aspirin.

I read haidut saying it depleted glycine but I take tons of glycine. 1 large tbsp a night. [which really helps sleep].

One possible explanation is that aspirin irritates the gut in some people and Peat said the irritation manifests itself as ear ringing. Glycine is known gastro-protectant, so that could be it. In addition, aspirin depletes glycine since it conjugates with it and forms hippuric acid. That's how it is excreted from the body. So, taking extra aspirin may warrant getting extra glycine to compensate. I don't have specific info on how much aspirin will deplete how much glycine but the glycine:aspirin combo is commonly sold in 1:1 ratio in some European countries, so I guess you can take as much extra glycine as you are taking aspirin.
Drinking Alka-Seltzer, which is aspirin combined with baking soda and citric acid creates sodium acetylsalicylate and that has also been shown to completely eliminate stomach damage by aspirin. Or you can mix your own combo. The ratio is 1:3 aspirin:sodium_bicarbonate.

Milky

haidut,

What about this study comparing aspirin to aspirin+glycine preparations which mentions that, while those receiving aspirin with glycine did not complain of any side effects, intestinal damage/lesion scores were nearly identical to the non-glycine preparation? This seems to suggest a different cause or mechanism behind symptoms besides simply intestinal irritation/damage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1781803

"In a randomized double-blind study the gastroduodenal tolerability of daily 500 mg acetylsalicylic acid (ASA, CAS 50-78-2) in combination with 250 mg glycine (CAS 56-40-6) (Godamed) and 500 mg ASA without addition of glycine were evaluated in 20 healthy volunteers giving upper GI-endoscopy. Both ASA-preparations have been taken over a period of 4 weeks. Endoscopic controls were performed at entry, and repeated after 7, 14 and 28 days of treatment. Both ASA-preparations induced comparable gastroduodenal damages during the whole test period: The lesions score of both groups on day 7, 14 and day 28 was almost identical. In contrast to plain ASA, where 9 of 10 volunteers reported gastrointestinal side effects, all subjects receiving ASA in combination with glycine did not complain from any dyspeptic symptoms, i.e. epigastric pain etc. "

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Milky said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97089/ haidut,

What about this study comparing aspirin to aspirin+glycine preparations which mentions that, while those receiving aspirin with glycine did not complain of any side effects, that intestinal damage/lesion scores were nearly identical to the non-glycine preparation? This seems to suggest a different cause or mechanism behind symptoms besides intestinal irritation/damage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1781803

"In a randomized double-blind study the gastroduodenal tolerability of daily 500 mg acetylsalicylic acid (ASA, CAS 50-78-2) in combination with 250 mg glycine (CAS 56-40-6) (Godamed) and 500 mg ASA without addition of glycine were evaluated in 20 healthy volunteers giving upper GI-endoscopy. Both ASA-preparations have been taken over a period of 4 weeks. Endoscopic controls were performed at entry, and repeated after 7, 14 and 28 days of treatment. Both ASA-preparations induced comparable gastroduodenal damages during the whole test period: The lesions score of both groups on day 7, 14 and day 28 was almost identical. In contrast to plain ASA, where 9 of 10 volunteers reported gastrointestinal side effects, all subjects receiving ASA in combination with glycine did not complain from any dyspeptic symptoms, i.e. epigastric pain etc. "

Yeah, I have seen that study. Not sure what to make of it, as most people that start taking glycine with aspirin report reduction of GI symptoms. I guess if glycine does not work for you you can always try baking soda or caffeine.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1631808/
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=5819

Last edited by a moderator:

Milky

haidut said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97106/ Yeah, I have seen that study. Not sure what to make of it, as most people that start taking glycine with aspirin report reduction of GI symptoms. I guess if glycine does not work for you you can always try baking soda or caffeine.

So far glycine works great...aspirin has always produced ringing/pressure in ears and an anxious/sweaty feeling every time I've tried it orally over the last few years (whole tabs, powder, dissolved in baking soda...doesn't matter), until recently when I tried it again with glycine. I've been taking whole 325mg tablets with nothing but positive benefits. It feels similar to taking ibuprofen in terms of anti-inflammatory effects. I'm just concerned about it still causing damage (as ibuprofen is also known to do), but not being aware of it...especially in the long-term.

My gut feeling :lol: is that if it feels good do it so that's what I'll continue to go by, but I'll update if I notice any further effects either way.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Milky said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97108/
haidut said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97106/ Yeah, I have seen that study. Not sure what to make of it, as most people that start taking glycine with aspirin report reduction of GI symptoms. I guess if glycine does not work for you you can always try baking soda or caffeine.

So far glycine works great...aspirin has always produced ringing/pressure in ears and an anxious/sweaty feeling every time I've tried it orally over the last few years (whole tabs, powder, dissolved in baking soda...doesn't matter), until recently when I tried it again with glycine. I've been taking whole 325mg tablets with nothing but positive benefits. It feels similar to taking ibuprofen in terms of anti-inflammatory effects. I'm just concerned about it still causing damage (as ibuprofen is also known to do), but not being aware of it...especially in the long-term.

My gut feeling :lol: is that if it feels good do it so that's what I'll continue to go by, but I'll update if I notice any further effects either way.

I posted another thread showing that chronic intake of aspirin depletes glycine stores. Given that glycine is the primary inhibitory amino acid in the body, lower levels could explain the anxiety effects you are getting from aspirin. I think the combination of aspirin, glycine and caffeine should be good enough to block GI damage.

DaveFoster

Amazoniac

One possible explanation is that aspirin irritates the gut in some people and Peat said the irritation manifests itself as ear ringing. Glycine is known gastro-protectant, so that could be it. In addition, aspirin depletes glycine since it conjugates with it and forms hippuric acid. That's how it is excreted from the body. So, taking extra aspirin may warrant getting extra glycine to compensate. I don't have specific info on how much aspirin will deplete how much glycine but the glycine:aspirin combo is commonly sold in 1:1 ratio in some European countries, so I guess you can take as much extra glycine as you are taking aspirin.
Jorge, I was wondering about this and the taxing must be indirect, perhaps something related to mucosal protection/repair as you mentioned.

If you ingest 500 mg of this toxin, about 75% is salicylic acid. Not all undergoes conjugation with glycine for excretion, but if it did, we would have 400 mg. Glycine is a simple molecule and lighter than salycilic acid, almost half. This means that for every 400 mg of salicylic acid, about 200 mg of glycine are going to be used in the process. There has to be more involved to explain the increase in requirement.

--
- Gelatin, stress, longevity

"GABA (gamma amino butyric acid) is a close analog of glycine (alpha amino acetic acid)."​

Wow is acetic and butyric acids?

- Alpha and beta carbon - Wikipedia

- Glycine - Wikipedia

"In 1858, the French chemist Auguste Cahours determined that glycine was an amine of acetic acid."

Preferred IUPAC name
Glycine​
Systematic IUPAC name
2-Aminoethanoic acid​
Other names
Aminoacetic acid
Glycocoll​

On the ethanoic acid above..

- Carboxylic acid - Wikipedia
- Etymology Of Carboxylic Acids

- Biological oxidation of alcohols | Khan Academy

upload_2019-10-31_13-20-3.png

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Saw this not too long ago:
I now use glycine with any high dose aspirin, but the bicarbonate thing is a timing issue according to Chris.

BeBetter

That's a very helpful video. Thank you, Dave Clark, for posting it.

Does anyone know if using magnesium glycinate would accomplish what Chris says the glycine will do

Amazoniac

'GABA' is a lazy substitute for a given name, it has to fall into disuse because there's nothing meaningful in an acronym and makes things confusing. If we start using these terms for everything, soon enough we'll have a technical vocabulary that will end up being unmanageable as they start to coincide. It's akin to referring to each person we know by the initials rather than nickname.

What is better, to call glycine 'AAAA' or GABA 'fartine'? And what about getting distracted by stuff related to the American Association of Adversiting Agencies when trying to focus on Diokine-Aminoacetic Acid?

Toxic, should be regulated as drugs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals