Glycine Toxic At High Doses

1634938556349.png

Anyone heard of this before, I know Ray recommends rather high-doses of glycine for people that are not growing anymore.

youngsinatra

There are studies that used up to 60 grams of pure glycine per day in the treatment of schizophrenia. No significant side effects were observed, so I highly doubt it‘s toxic.

Steed

View attachment 29307

Anyone heard of this before, I know Ray recommends rather high-doses of glycine for people that are not growing anymore.
Excess can be used as energy, that is partly why Peat thinks it is safe.

Hugh Johnson

View attachment 29307

I am not finding a citation for the claim that glycine is toxic from there.

dukesbobby777

Excess amounts of any protein or amino acid will have the potential to turn into ammonia. Plus the source of what you’re buying counts for a lot (contaminants, etc).

magnesiumania

Excess amounts of any protein or amino acid will have the potential to turn into ammonia. Plus the source of what you’re buying counts for a lot (contaminants, etc).
ALL protein (or its amine group) turns to ammonia before its made less toxic by the urea cycle,

Dr. B

ALL protein (or its amine group) turns to ammonia before its made less toxic by the urea cycle,
what happens if you have excess ammonia?
would building muscles/lifting weights help get rid of ammonia? how do we get rid of excess ammonia, are there certain nutrients/supplements involved like calcium

magnesiumania

Depend why there is an excess i guess. The body can make an excess to neutralize acidity. Bicarb helps for this

Jam

Mr. La Palice would be proud. What isn't toxic at a high enough dose??

Jon2547

I've been using glycine well over a decade now, probably close to 12 years. I have never noticed anything negative from it and I am one that notices just about everything.
For example, I can't take acetyl-l-carnitine as it is just too energizing. I can't regularly take NAC. I can't take St John's Wort. That's just to name a few.
I take it in the morning and usually with food but I have been known to take it on an empty stomach. It is great for maintaining eye contact. I usually take a rounded tablespoon.

Vinny

I've been using glycine well over a decade now, probably close to 12 years. I have never noticed anything negative from it and I am one that notices just about everything.
For example, I can't take acetyl-l-carnitine as it is just too energizing. I can't regularly take NAC. I can't take St John's Wort. That's just to name a few.
I take it in the morning and usually with food but I have been known to take it on an empty stomach. It is great for maintaining eye contact. I usually take a rounded tablespoon.
A rounded tablespoon of glycine every day? Really? That makes around 10 grams, right?

Ras

What benefits have you noticed?