Glycine Powerfully Lowers Cortisol

yurt

The question of purity often comes up in reference to glycine and other isolated aminos.

Glycine is manufactured by chemical synthesis from formaldehyde or monochloroacetic acid and ammonia. Are any of the substances or their reaction byproducts present in the final product? Who knows?

Joe Brind reported one sample of glycine to be contaminated with the industrial solvent pyridine.

Having experimented with various glycine supplements, I have found the AjiPure product to be the most agreeable subjectively (no headaches in moderate doses).

Some researchers have speculated that glyphosate and glufosinate can substitute for glycine in the connective tissue of animals with nasty results. If this is true, a daily glycine supplement could be a very good idea.

Gadsie

Haven't read the full thread but has nobody noticed the high dose? 225mg/100g bodyweight. That's 180 grams for an 80kg man. In addition, 57mg/100g (45 grams for an 80kg man), appears to hardly show cortisol lowering effects.

Gadsie

Furthermore, glycine is a calorie source. 170g of glycine (680 calories) will obviously lower cortisol just like 680 calories of sugar will do, and perhaps even 170g of tryptophan, especially compared to fasting.

ddjd

i can definitely support this view that glycine lowers cortisol. however ive noticed after supplementing 5g a day for a few years now, it no longer has that effect. any ideas why @haidut

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haven't read the full thread but has nobody noticed the high dose? 225mg/100g bodyweight. That's 180 grams for an 80kg man. In addition, 57mg/100g (45 grams for an 80kg man), appears to hardly show cortisol lowering effects.

It needs to be converted to human dose. You can't just take the animal dose and multiply by the human weight. There are a few threads on converting animal to human dose so just search or Google it.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
i can definitely support this view that glycine lowers cortisol. however ive noticed after supplementing 5g a day for a few years now, it no longer has that effect. any ideas why @haidut

Have you measured cortisol? If it is back to normal that would explain why it is not working any more.

Rickyman

@haidut if one is already low in cortisol per Dutch cortisol test, I'm assuming glycine is not ideal. ? But I was under the impression that it helps lower elevated cortisol.

It does not make sense that it would make a low cortisol even en lower`?

Then again everything peat is based on lowering cortisol. So I'm confused here

ddjd

@haidut do you think the quality of glycine products can vary hugely? or is glycine powder generally pretty easy to do right

Kartoffel

@haidut do you think the quality of glycine products can vary hugely? or is glycine powder generally pretty easy to do right

It's very easy to make and therefore probably much safer than other supplements. It is one of the very few supplements that I can take without getting a digestive reaction

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut if one is already low in cortisol per Dutch cortisol test, I'm assuming glycine is not ideal. ? But I was under the impression that it helps lower elevated cortisol.

It does not make sense that it would make a low cortisol even en lower`?

Then again everything peat is based on lowering cortisol. So I'm confused here

Why would glycine elevate cortisol? By what mechanism? The only way I can think of it doing that is if you ingest like 10g - 20g of pure glycine on empty stomach and it triggers insulin response and then sugar crash and then raised cortisol. But among the amino acids glycine is the one that has the least insulinogenic effect so it would have to be a hefty dose glycine, which most people would not like even by taste alone.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I have had good experience with glycine powder sold in vitamin shops. Did not irritate my gut and did not give allergic symptoms. So, I suppose if the person is not too sensitive some of the isolated glycine products can be helpful.

Rickyman

Why would glycine elevate cortisol? By what mechanism? The only way I can think of it doing that is if you ingest like 10g - 20g of pure glycine on empty stomach and it triggers insulin response and then sugar crash and then raised cortisol. But among the amino acids glycine is the one that has the least insulinogenic effect so it would have to be a hefty dose glycine, which most people would not like even by taste alone.

Sry I meant to say would it lower it even more which is certainly not good. Eating it with proper carb/protein and fast ratio of course to maintain blood sugar

Since it is ideal for someone in a high cortisol state I'm thinking of someone who had crashed or exhausted adrenals.
And thanks for your swift reply

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sry I meant to say would it lower it even more which is certainly not good. Eating it with proper carb/protein and fast ratio of course to maintain blood sugar

Since it is ideal for someone in a high cortisol state I'm thinking of someone who had crashed or exhausted adrenals.
And thanks for your swift reply

Yes, if it is low already I would not try to lower it even more. Maybe adding some pregnenolone can help with the low cortisol issue.

Regina

Yes, if it is low already I would not try to lower it even more. Maybe adding some pregnenolone can help with the low cortisol issue.
Hi haidut, I'm back at light training aikido--testing the waters over the last couple of weeks. Going well. I have a lot of color in my face (instead of pallor) and am not experiencing the scary breathless (fainting goat) episodes. I'm a bit weak but getting through 1 hour classes without a hitch. I think my cortisol is low and is to blame for my slowness getting up from throws and from the kneeling position.
I'm looking for a "mat stack" for rats. What about 30mg pregnenolone and 2-3 drops androsterone for rats who need some cortisol and strength? Thank you.

schultz

I'm thinking this may be useful peri-workout? Combining it with some sugar milk would make a pretty awesome workout drink. Non of that protein powder crap. Milk was good enough for Paul Anderson, so it's good enough for me :cool (with some sugar and gelatin)

Thoughts?

So much talk here of status, height, MPB. Guys, WE DON'T CARE!

I had to chuckle at this comment.

Regina

Okay. Got through training tonight. The 1 hr wednesday class has the school's toughest instructor and, as usual, he taught a highly aerobic class. Very crowded. I think perhaps my brush with anemia may have passed.
I took 30mg pregnenolone and 2 drops androsterone and 2 drops lisuride before leaving for class. I'm still slow getting up from our kneeling position (achy feet low cortisol), but feeling less despondent. :cool:

walker_in_aus

great find. I was wondering about amino acids like taurine and glycine/gelatin. It seems like you dont have to eat them bit sugar for them to cause a positive effect ? like with other protein you have to balance it out witu sugar because else it will cause blood sugar respons and stress response.
Seems like taurine/glycine/gelatin is different?

Advice From Personal experience: Don't take taurine without food/sugar. Also don't just start taking it without lowering your PUFA and improving health and metabolism a bit before! It might be an amazing depression cure but it sure makes you depressed if you don't eat enough!

milk_lover

@milk_lover are you still done with glycine? you don't take a low dose or anything now? just thought to check.
No, I am not done with it. Since I got the new glycine from Pure Bulk about two months ago and switching Pepsi to Coke, I have been taking around one gram 3x a day. Morning, after lunch, and dinner. And I don't take taurine anymore. Glycine can help me digest food similar to taurine by increasing HCL but without too much lowering my blood sugar. I ordered the plastic tubs from Pure Bulk which comes with a little plastic spoon of 1 g, which is handy.

EIRE24

No, I am not done with it. Since I got the new glycine from Pure Bulk about two months ago and switching Pepsi to Coke, I have been taking around one gram 3x a day. Morning, after lunch, and dinner. And I don't take taurine anymore. Glycine can help me digest food similar to taurine by increasing HCL but without too much lowering my blood sugar. I ordered the plastic tubs from Pure Bulk which comes with a little plastic spoon of 1 g, which is handy.
Same one I use. I find it good too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals