Glycine Powerfully Lowers Cortisol

belcanto

The 5-AR enzyme is crucial for females as well. It's what gives you allopregnanolone and that is the neurosteroid protecting both men and women from depression. You won't make much DHT as its synthesis depends on how much T you make and women make a lot less than men. So, the higher 5-AR is not a concern. I am not aware of any woman growing stache from using glycine/gelatin.

Haidut, what about women whose bodies make too much testosterone? Am I shooting myself in the foot by taking 1000 mg of glycine with my 4 TBSP of Great Lakes Collagen in coffee in the morning? Could this be contributing to facial hirsuitism and coronal hair loss?

Thanks - you always help everybody. :santa:

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut, what about women whose bodies make too much testosterone? Am I shooting myself in the foot by taking 1000 mg of glycine with my 4 TBSP of Great Lakes Collagen in coffee in the morning? Could this be contributing to facial hirsuitism and coronal hair loss?

Thanks - you always help everybody. :santa:

I don't think glycine would contribute to overandrogenism in females. Since progesterone is the dominant steroid in healthy females, the extra glycine should simply increase allopregnanolone levels. If a woman makes too much testosterone then there is another issue that should be looked at. High serum T in a female is very rare and associated with adrenal/ovarian pathology, so worrying about the extra DHT you will make from the T is one of the last things I would worry about. If T and/or DHEA in female are high then I would ask for adrenal/ovarian ultrasound.

milk_lover

From all the supplements I have taken, I think glycine might be the best really for skin and hair quality. My face can't stop glowing and my hair is shining. I think I did it the wrong way the last couple of months and that's why I got stomach issue from it. I was heating it with milk and coffee and there is something in that method that always bloats me. Now I just take it with Pepsi! Clean and simple and it works like magic! Recent conclusion, glycine >>> taurine. Sorry taurine, bye for now!

Lee Simeon

From all the supplements I have taken, I think glycine might be the best really for skin and hair quality. My face can't stop glowing and my hair is shining. I think I did it the wrong way the last couple of months and that's why I got stomach issue from it. I was heating it with milk and coffee and there is something in that method that always bloats me. Now I just take it with Pepsi! Clean and simple and it works like magic! Recent conclusion, glycine >>> taurine. Sorry taurine, bye for now!
With glycine, do you mean pure gelatin?

Peata

How are you taking it with Pepsi? (if you meant gelatin powder instead of glycine capsule or powder)

milk_lover

How much do you add to pepsi?
I take about 3g with a can of Pepsi that has 40g of sugar. Sometimes two cans. Similar to what I take per 100g of meat. If I eat 500g of meat, I take 5x3 (15g) of glycine with plenty of sugar of course.

milk_lover

You don't get drowsiness from 3 g. at a time? Has it affected moods or anything else?
Not really, I think the caffeine in Pepsi helps a little. Plus, usually I take it with lunch that I usually drink coffee after.

Peata

Not really, I think the caffeine in Pepsi helps a little. Plus, usually I take it with lunch that I usually drink coffee after.
OK, thanks. Since Friday I've been using glycine powder I had around here. I don't get sleepy from it either. Do you recall how long you took it before you noticed the good effects with hair and skin?

milk_lover

OK, thanks. Since Friday I've been using glycine powder I had around here. I don't get sleepy from it either. Do you recall how long you took it before you noticed the good effects with hair and skin?
Almost the next day I've noticed the good effects. It's similar to when you wake with a very restful restorative sleep. Sometimes, I take it before sleep if that helps. But I prefer to take it with my lamb and steak with the 3g per 100g of meat rule.

Peata

Almost the next day I've noticed the good effects. It's similar to when you wake with a very restful restorative sleep. Sometimes, I take it before sleep if that helps. But I prefer to take it with my lamb and steak with the 3g per 100g of meat rule.
I started using smaller amounts and worked up to the 3 grams over those 3 days, so hopefully see a difference soon. I've already felt a difference -calmer.

milk_lover

I started using smaller amounts and worked up to the 3 grams over those 3 days, so hopefully see a difference soon. I've already felt a difference -calmer.
Oh that's great to hear! Please give us any updates on your glycine experiment. I am still tweeting things when it comes to glycine.

TibRex

Now, you've got curious and interested in testing out the glycemic response to glycine but decided to first read up some reviews from glycine users posted at www.iherb.com. What I discovered was that many reported the sedative and unexpected sleep-inducing effects, "powerful dreams" which all made them "slept like a baby" !! One review caught my attention as it seems to have the opposite effect to what you said here!! The review is as follows:

Good for hypoglycemia
Posted by Reviewer1239444 on Sep 22, 2010

Every morning I add a hefty spoonful of this stuff [glycine] to my shake and it has made a difference! I've noticed that the hypoglycemia attacks are much less frequent, and when they do occur they're not as severe. However, I do need an entire spoonful to make a difference. When I first started taking it I'd use less than a teaspoon, but that didn't help much. You may not need as much as I do though; my hypoglycemia can be pretty bad.

Could you kindly explain the paradoxical effects of glycine, Haidut? It appears to have a bilateral- modulatory, rather than a unilateral, effect. Thanks

Oh, I've supplemented on Taurine before... bought a whole tub of it from iherb.com... but the glucose-lowering effect is zilch. Worse, it made my skin itch even when taken in small doses.

This dose is surprisingly close to the 1mmol/kg (75mg/kg) glycine that acutely lowered the glycemic response in humans by more than 66% without changing insulin levels... In general, anything that lowers cortisol will lower blood sugar, so it is quite plausible that the cortisol-lowering effects of glycine are behind its beneficial effects on blood glucose, diabetes, obesity, bone health, and aging which I have posted about in separate threads on this forum.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Now, you've got curious and interested in testing out the glycemic response to glycine but decided to first read up some reviews from glycine users posted at www.iherb.com. What I discovered was that many reported the sedative and unexpected sleep-inducing effects, "powerful dreams" which all made them "slept like a baby" !! One review caught my attention as it seems to have the opposite effect to what you said here!! The review is as follows:

Good for hypoglycemia
Posted by Reviewer1239444 on Sep 22, 2010

Every morning I add a hefty spoonful of this stuff [glycine] to my shake and it has made a difference! I've noticed that the hypoglycemia attacks are much less frequent, and when they do occur they're not as severe. However, I do need an entire spoonful to make a difference. When I first started taking it I'd use less than a teaspoon, but that didn't help much. You may not need as much as I do though; my hypoglycemia can be pretty bad.

Could you kindly explain the paradoxical effects of glycine, Haidut? It appears to have a bilateral- modulatory, rather than a unilateral, effect. Thanks

Oh, I've supplemented on Taurine before... bought a whole tub of it from iherb.com... but the glucose-lowering effect is zilch. Worse, it made my skin itch even when taken in small doses.

Glycine also has an insulin-sparing effects so if the person was releasing a lot of insulin before and it was resulting in a crash then with added glycine less insulin is needed to disposed of the sugar and thus less of a chance of a hypoglycemic event.

milk_lover

@Peata and if anybody interested, I stopped glycine although it had given me good skin and shiney hair. I went back to taurine.
There are some reasons behind the switch back. It does slightly decrease my good mood and I want to be happy and receptive to people. Taurine is the opposite; it makes me cheerful and playful. Second reason, I gained a little bit weight which it didn't happen with taurine. I think to people who want to lose weight (I do) taurine may be more appropriate. That's my update on glycine.