Glycine May Treat Type II Diabetes In Humans

haidut

Forum Supporter
Human study, with a moderate dose of glycine. Ray wrote several times about the usage of gelatin as treatment for even type I diabetes. Unfortunately, the practice was abandoned in the early 20th century in favor of more toxic therapies or insulin injections.
This human study shows that a moderate dose of glycine (15g) for 3 months reduced the A1C levels almost back to normal and also lowered fasting blood glucose. None of the newly approved hypoglycemic drugs on the market can boast such an effect and a few of them have pretty bad side effects like pancreatitis and even cancer.

Glycine treatment decreases proinflammatory cytokines and increases interferon-gamma in patients with type 2 diabetes. - PubMed - NCBI
"...RESULTS: A1C levels of patients given glycine were significantly lower after 3 months of treatment than those of the placebo group. A significant reduction in TNF-receptor I levels was observed in patients given glycine compared with placebo. There was a decrease of 38% in the interferon (IFN)-gamma level of the group treated with placebo, whereas that of the group treated with glycine increased up to 43%. These data showed that patients treated with glycine had a significant decrease in A1C and in proinflammatory cytokines and also an important increase of IFN-gamma.
CONCLUSION: Treatment with glycine is likely to have a beneficial effect on innate and adaptive immune responses and may help prevent tissue damage caused by chronic inflammation in patients with Type 2 diabetes."

Ahanu

Treatment with glycine is likely to have a beneficial effect on innate and adaptive immune responses and may help prevent tissue damage caused by chronic inflammation in patients with Type 2 diabetes.
Great. Thank you. What else would you recomment for a diabetes II patient?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Great. Thank you. What else would you recomment for a diabetes II patient?

Have you searched the forum? There must be hundreds of threads discussing supplements and chemicals for this issue.

Ahanu

There must be hundreds of threads discussing supplements and chemicals for this issue.
Yes, there is too much. This study was different though. There is a lot of speculation at this forum. Self Reports that actually proove nothing. but thanks fot taking time to reply.

jyb

This human study shows that a moderate dose of glycine (15g) for 3 months reduced the A1C levels almost back to normal and also lowered fasting blood glucose. None of the newly approved hypoglycemic drugs on the market can boast such an effect and a few of them have pretty bad side effects like pancreatitis and even cancer.

If true that's actually a bomb. A shame the study is not freely accessible, I'm unable to get an idea for myself.

Ahanu

Look at these search results:
Thank you Giraffe.
Actually i hoped to get an answer based on haiduts knowlege and how He would Interpret All the information. But its ok i will read though all the threads my self. Sorry to ask.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
The abstract says 5 g per day, not 15 g.

It says 5g t.i.d which meand three times daily. If you open the actual study itself it says 15g total daily dose.

kitback

Sorry, missed the TID part. Is there a way to view the study without purchasing it ?

kitback

I read nothing but good things about glycine. I notice many benefits myself. I take 3 g/d. I am diabetic type 2. My fasting blood sugar is always in the 200s.
I might consider trying the 5/g tid.

Haidut, do you know of any studies showing any harmful effects from taking glycine, especially long term?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I read nothing but good things about glycine. I notice many benefits myself. I take 3 g/d. I am diabetic type 2. My fasting blood sugar is always in the 200s.
I might consider trying the 5/g tid.

Haidut, do you know of any studies showing any harmful effects from taking glycine, especially long term?

The only harmful effect would be for people with severe kidney disease or other conditions leading to build up of ammonia. Glycine is probably the only truly non-toxic amino acid. Theanine and taurine are second and third but taurine does have some toxicity through increased LPO when used in massive doses of 20g+ daily.

kitback

Thanks, Haidut! I am diabetic type 2 and I avoid doctors like the plague so I don't know if I have kidney disease. If I do, it certainly isn't severe or I believe I would have symptoms.

I will try increasing my dose and see what happens!

kitback

So far, so good! It's only been three days and I am only up to 6 g of glycine per day, 3 g twice a day. Three days ago my fasting blood sugar was 313, the next day it was 303, and today it was 255! I have noticed a major reduction in appetite. Also my brain feels a lot less "wired". I will keep you posted!

David PS

Attachments

• 9.Glycine treatment decreases proinflammaT2D.JEI.2008..pdf
    233.2 KB · Views: 77

Quality

Thanks alot for posting this David, I just had a look at the paper and in the glycine group the HOMA-IR gone down a fair bit in comparison to placebo good, thats looking good.
Fasting insulin gone up a fair bit though, not sure what to make of that :(

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks alot for posting this David, I just had a look at the paper and in the glycine group the HOMA-IR gone down a fair bit in comparison to placebo good, thats looking good.
Fasting insulin gone up a fair bit though, not sure what to make of that :(

Lowering glucose and rising (endogenous) insulin is considered a good thing in type II diabetes. It means you are not as insulin resistant as before.

Quality

Lowering glucose and rising (endogenous) insulin is considered a good thing in type II diabetes. It means you are not as insulin resistant as before.
Thanks haidut, I knew I had read that somewhere before you are right I think.

I havent seen any negative papers on glycine so far, will keep on taking it.
Having suffered from horrible sleep a few years ago, which have been improving slowly day by day and these days I get 8hours of none-interrupted deep sleep.
Part of the sleep improvement I definatly attribute to my daily glycine intake.

Quality

@haidut
Slightly off topic but what is your knowledge about Proline, it makes up a huge part of gelatin and I couldnt find much information about it on the internet.
Only thing that comes to my mind about proline ( and hydroxyproline ) is that its part of collagen and should improve skin quality.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut
Slightly off topic but what is your knowledge about Proline, it makes up a huge part of gelatin and I couldnt find much information about it on the internet.
Only thing that comes to my mind about proline ( and hydroxyproline ) is that its part of collagen and should improve skin quality.

Pretty similar to glycine - antiexcitotoxic and sedative in high doses -so beneficial like glycine. Search Ray's website for "proline", he writes about it.