Glycine May Treat Type II Diabetes In Humans

kitback

So it's been about two weeks since I increased my glycine dose to 15 g per day. I have lost about 5 pounds, so that's good. Interestingly, low-dose glycine helped with my sleep but at this higher level, I am actually feeling wired and somewhat breathless. It reminds me of the way I felt when I started taking niacinamide in 2012, and was taking too large a dose. Once I cut back, the wired feeling and breathlessness stopped. So this makes me wonder if I am converting more tryptophan to niacin and less to serotonin. My blood sugar is no lower and actually somewhat higher but this also happened when I took the too large dose of niacinamide. I am diabetic type 2. I may try lowering my dose of niacinamide to see if that helps.

One observation I find interesting is that my snow white hair is becoming much less white, more of a grayish black color. I recall Ray saying that white hair contains the highest level of tryptophan. So I wonder if the glycine is lowering my tryptophan and that is causing the change in my hair color.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So it's been about two weeks since I increased my glycine dose to 15 g per day. I have lost about 5 pounds, so that's good. Interestingly, low-dose glycine helped with my sleep but at this higher level, I am actually feeling wired and somewhat breathless. It reminds me of the way I felt when I started taking niacinamide in 2012, and was taking too large a dose. Once I cut back, the wired feeling and breathlessness stopped. So this makes me wonder if I am converting more tryptophan to niacin and less to serotonin. My blood sugar is no lower and actually somewhat higher but this also happened when I took the too large dose of niacinamide. I am diabetic type 2. I may try lowering my dose of niacinamide to see if that helps.

One observation I find interesting is that my snow white hair is becoming much less white, more of a grayish black color. I recall Ray saying that white hair contains the highest level of tryptophan. So I wonder if the glycine is lowering my tryptophan and that is causing the change in my hair color.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I have tried high dose glycine (from gelatin) and it does lower my blood sugar quite well. It also inhibits the absorption and metabolism of tryptophan so the effect on hair is quite expected. If you keep this regimen and see more hair changes please report more as quite a few people on the forum are asking about reversing grey/white hair color.

beachbum

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I have tried high dose glycine (from gelatin) and it does lower my blood sugar quite well. It also inhibits the absorption and metabolism of tryptophan so the effect on hair is quite expected. If you keep this regimen and see more hair changes please report more as quite a few people on the forum are asking about reversing grey/white hair color.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but would bone broth be the same as taking glycine, of course you woud have to drink a hell of a lot. If yes would it cause ammonia build up as well, if yes how would you counteract that..drink less I guess

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sorry if this is a dumb question but would bone broth be the same as taking glycine, of course you woud have to drink a hell of a lot. If yes would it cause ammonia build up as well, if yes how would you counteract that..drink less I guess

Any good source of glycine should do - bone broth, gelatin powder, sea food, etc.

WestCoaster

Interesting. Nobody would argue glycine is critical in the diet, but if the claim or hope of the study is that Glycine treats Type 2 Diabetics, that would have to mean that Glycine somehow reduces the need for insulin in the blood. Either by forcing glucose to be uptaken in the cells, or somehow making insulin more efficient at doing so. End result would be lowing blood glucose to lower insulin levels.

Now if elevated blood sugar levels are solely due to stress, because cortisol elevates blood sugar, and Glycine is supposed to create a calming effect lowing cortisol levels, I can see how this would be a very efficient means of dealing with Type 2 diabetics given they are diabetic due to excess stress. I'm not so sure Glycine can trump a bad diet meaning one that either chronically keeps the blood sugar levels either elevated or yo-yo'ing. It makes me wonder though, can Glycine counter-act the effects of cortisol release due to lack of (or poor) sleep.

Makes me want to break out my Great Lakes Gelatin again and perhaps double down a spoonful of that in some bone broth and see what happens.

Tourist

I'm wondering if you did double up and what the results were? Did u try it and have any positive Impact on sleep?

Interesting. Nobody would argue glycine is critical in the diet, but if the claim or hope of the study is that Glycine treats Type 2 Diabetics, that would have to mean that Glycine somehow reduces the need for insulin in the blood. Either by forcing glucose to be uptaken in the cells, or somehow making insulin more efficient at doing so. End result would be lowing blood glucose to lower insulin levels.

Now if elevated blood sugar levels are solely due to stress, because cortisol elevates blood sugar, and Glycine is supposed to create a calming effect lowing cortisol levels, I can see how this would be a very efficient means of dealing with Type 2 diabetics given they are diabetic due to excess stress. I'm not so sure Glycine can trump a bad diet meaning one that either chronically keeps the blood sugar levels either elevated or yo-yo'ing. It makes me wonder though, can Glycine counter-act the effects of cortisol release due to lack of (or poor) sleep.

Makes me want to break out my Great Lakes Gelatin again and perhaps double down a spoonful of that in some bone broth and see what happens.

Nighteyes

According to the study in the OP glycine treatment increased interferon-gamma by more than 40% compared to control group. Is this a good thing in the context of being diabetic as the authors make it out to be? I am not sure I fully understand the role of interferon-gamma in relation to immune resonse when glycine is administered. Interferon-gamma also stimulates hair loss right? @Travis any ideas?

Dezertfox

Lowering glucose and rising (endogenous) insulin is considered a good thing in type II diabetes. It means you are not as insulin resistant as before.
in this case someone whose fasting insulin is already high, it wouldn't be good for them right?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
in this case someone whose fasting insulin is already high, it wouldn't be good for them right?

It would, as it would allow for less insulin to have the same effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals