Glycine Increases Aspirin Absorption

haidut

Forum Supporter
Glycine is known to protect the gastric mucosa against any potential irritation by aspirin and other known irritants like alcohol and phosphoric acid. According to this study, glycine increases aspirin absorption 3-fold and as such people having issues with high doses aspirin can reduce their dose by a factor of 3 when taking with glycine (or gelatin) and get the added benefit of mucosa protection.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24779202

"...The increase in absorbance of aspirin in the presence of tartaric acid and aspartic acid was non-significantly (p > 0.05) greater than that in the presence of other amino acids like glycine, tyrosine and glutamic acid. The absorbance of aspirin in the presence of tartaric acid and aspartic acid was 3.23 and 3.28, respectively, while the absorbance of aspirin in the presence of glycine, tyrosine and glutamic acid was 2.98, 2.96 and 2.92, respectively. This study elaborates that the solubility of aspirin increases with concomitant administration of amino acids, thus the use of amino acids (proteinous foods) with aspirin should be prohibited or low dose of aspirin should be recommended in such situation."

Gl;itch.e

Re: Glycine increase aspirin absorption

Would it then perhaps be worth experimenting with aspirin in a gelatin based gummy candy you think? (;

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Gl;itch.e said:
Would it then perhaps be worth experimenting with aspirin in a gelatin based gummy candy you think? (;

Sure, but in absence of blood testing the only thing you can measure is temperature / pulse, and compare taking aspirin with and without gelatin.

Gl;itch.e

Im wondering if the gelatin might also slow the digestion and "ease" the aspirin into the system over a longer period of time. I could see the enhanced uptake and slower release as being quite beneficial.

Might try this tonight if I remember. I dont use aspirin habitually but find that it improves my sleep if I havent used it for awhile (wish that would last but it only seems to work for a night or two in a row)

RealNeat

So have gummy bears with a coke that contains phosphoric acid.

Maverick

Glycine is known to protect the gastric mucosa against any potential irritation by aspirin and other known irritants like alcohol and phosphoric acid. According to this study, glycine increases aspirin absorption 3-fold and as such people having issues with high doses aspirin can reduce their dose by a factor of 3 when taking with glycine (or gelatin) and get the added benefit of mucosa protection.

Interaction analysis of aspirin with selective amino acids. - PubMed - NCBI

"...The increase in absorbance of aspirin in the presence of tartaric acid and aspartic acid was non-significantly (p > 0.05) greater than that in the presence of other amino acids like glycine, tyrosine and glutamic acid. The absorbance of aspirin in the presence of tartaric acid and aspartic acid was 3.23 and 3.28, respectively, while the absorbance of aspirin in the presence of glycine, tyrosine and glutamic acid was 2.98, 2.96 and 2.92, respectively. This study elaborates that the solubility of aspirin increases with concomitant administration of amino acids, thus the use of amino acids (proteinous foods) with aspirin should be prohibited or low dose of aspirin should be recommended in such situation."
Does it still chelate iron taking it with Glycine?