Glycine has a universal anti-viral effect

Kvothe

If the human dosage is 0.5g/kg then gelatin is probably a way cheaper source of getting 40g-50g glycine daily. Most capsules products probably do not contain 50g glycine in an entire bottle. Also, gelatin has other amino acids like proline, hydroxyproline, phenylalanine, etc that also have antiviral effects.

Glycine can be bought quite cheaply, if you buy it in bulk. Plus, I have yet to meet a person not reacting badly to gelatine. I have never encountered any product that isn't heavily contaminated with endotoxin and other junk.

Lollipop2

ive listened to it like 5 times and personally interviewed him about it on Primitive Initiative Podcast. Im not misinterpreting. Viruses exist, they can be passed on but they alone can not cause disease. Im not saying Ray said the last part verbatim but he implies it multiple times through all of his COVID related interviews and before. If you want to be more specific i can break it down.
You do not need to break it down I have listened to every Ray Peat interview, some multiple times. What was interesting was Peat saying that to suggest viruses do not exist like the known players Timpone mentioned was misguided. Of course disease is is a multi layered problem and viruses can contribute.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Glycine can be bought quite cheaply, if you buy it in bulk. Plus, I have yet to meet a person not reacting badly to gelatine. I have never encountered any product that isn't heavily contaminated with endotoxin and other junk.

Even grass fed gelatin? How do you know these products are contaminated? I've personally tolerated great lakes collagen hydrolysate as well as a few others quite well.

boris

@Soren @Kvothe I think Great Lakes is special since they use only skins and no bones. I haven’t tried it yet, but all other gelatin powders I used give me bad reactions.

Great Lakes has a very low heavy metal content because they don’t use the bones.

Great Lakes GelatinDr. Oetker GelatinNOW Gelatin
Lead<.10 ppm<5 ppm<1 ppm
Chromium<.50 ppm<10 ppm
Mercury<.01 ppm<.15 ppm<.40 ppm
Cadmium<.05 ppm<.50 ppm<.82 ppm
Arsenic<.25 ppm<1 ppm<2 ppm

Kvothe

Even grass fed gelatin? How do you know these products are contaminated? I've personally tolerated great lakes collagen hydrolysate as well as a few others quite well.

It doesn't matter what the animals were fed. Gelatine is generally made from the skin of the animals. Decaying skin is an ideal environment for gram negative bacteria, and so all gelatine products are going to contain a significant amount of endotoxin, even if the animals were fed organic grass, and roamed freely under the open sky.

Velve921

ive never had issues with gelatin and been doing 15-20 tbsp per day for almost 7 years now.

been using Great Lakes.

Perry Staltic

@Soren @Kvothe I think Great Lakes is special since they use only skins and no bones. I haven’t tried it yet, but all other gelatin powders I used give me bad reactions.

Great Lakes has a very low heavy metal content because they don’t use the bones.

Lead<.10 ppm<5 ppm<1 ppm
Chromium<.50 ppm<10 ppm

I think I'm going to start taking my encapsulated vitamins without the capsule.

Kvothe

ive never had issues with gelatin and been doing 15-20 tbsp per day for almost 7 years now.

been using Great Lakes.

I know many people sensitive to endotoxin that reported feeling absolutely terrible after a few teaspoons of gelatine. I am mostly free of digestive issues, but if there is still one thing that will absolutely wreck my gut for days it's gelatine. The amount of endotoxin in it is probably enough to trigger very bad reactions in a lot of people. Even special, pharmaceutical-grade gelatine sometimes contains still enough endotoxin to be dangerous for very sensitive people, the standard commercial junk can probably be life threatening in certain situations, for very sick people.

1609031333798.png

jmojo

If the human dosage is 0.5g/kg then gelatin is probably a way cheaper source of getting 40g-50g glycine daily. Most capsules products probably do not contain 50g glycine in an entire bottle. Also, gelatin has other amino acids like proline, hydroxyproline, phenylalanine, etc that also have antiviral effects.

Glycine is actually quite cheap these days. On Amazon you can get the Now Foods brand of glycine pure powder 1lb (454 grams) for about $12.50. Bulk Supplements is probably the best deal though. You can get 1 Kilo of it for $22.

Last edited:
B

Braveheart

Have you tried taking with some pregnenolone? I know several people who reacted similar to magnesium, niacinamide, glycine, and other GABA activators and taking with 30mg-50mg pregnenolone apparently removed that depressing effect. Btw, how do you distinguish depressing from sedating? All of these substances have known sedating effect, but it is not the same as making you depressed. Are you getting sad/desperate from taking them or just sleepy/lazy?
Excellent point....

Velve921

I know many people sensitive to endotoxin that reported feeling absolutely terrible after a few teaspoons of gelatine. I am mostly free of digestive issues, but if there is still one thing that will absolutely wreck my gut for days it's gelatine. The amount of endotoxin in it is probably enough to trigger very bad reactions in a lot of people. Even special, pharmaceutical-grade gelatine sometimes contains still enough endotoxin to be dangerous for very sensitive people, the standard commercial junk can probably be life threatening in certain situations, for very sick people.

View attachment 20900

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had bad reactions to it. By me sharing my experiences over 7 years of testing I am not endorsing it for anyone else, I am just responding to the question on the thread.
Thanks for sharing some new information my friend.

Mito

Lead<.10 ppm<5 ppm<1 ppm
Chromium<.50 ppm<10 ppm
Vital Proteins is much lower
2AC3F450-8BDF-413A-9E93-B41900463C27.jpeg

boris

@Mito Great tip, thank you! I‘ll definitely try it out. Although I was looking to make some jello ? ....

@Perry Staltic I’m not sure, but I think the capsules are such a small amount that it shouldn‘t cause harm.

I‘m still not sure if it‘s heavy metals or endotoxin or something else that is causing bad reactions for me.

tankasnowgod

Gelatine is generally made from the skin of the animals.
I don't know that this is true at all. Feet are insanely gelatin rich. When I've made it at home, beef or chicken feet are easily one of the richest sources.

Perry Staltic

I don't know that this is true at all. Feet are insanely gelatin rich. When I've made it at home, beef or chicken feet are easily one of the richest sources.

I would think that hides would bring more money being used for clothing and upholstery than gelatin.

Vileplume

It doesn't matter what the animals were fed. Gelatine is generally made from the skin of the animals. Decaying skin is an ideal environment for gram negative bacteria, and so all gelatine products are going to contain a significant amount of endotoxin, even if the animals were fed organic grass, and roamed freely under the open sky.
So I assume if the bacteria on the decaying skin is the issue in gelatin products, then gelatin-rich bone broths would not have this same issue?

Kvothe

So I assume if the bacteria on the decaying skin is the issue in gelatin products, then gelatin-rich bone broths would not have this same issue?

Yeah, I think oxtail soup is a very good gelatine source, or, as @tankasnowgod mentioned, soup made from chicken feet. Never noticed any issues with these sources.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals