glycine gelatin question

chris

I am wanting to incorporate gelatin in my diet, which will bring in glycine. I have seen a lot of positive things about glycine but can't find any specific figures on what a good amount would be? How many grams a day should be eaten to develop benefits? Thanks and happy christmas!

J

j.

chris said:
I am wanting to incorporate gelatin in my diet, which will bring in glycine. I have seen a lot of positive things about glycine but can't find any specific figures on what a good amount would be? How many grams a day should be eaten to develop benefits? Thanks and happy christmas!

If I recall correctly, 10, 15 grams.

OP
chris

chris

Thank you j, slightly higher than I had hoped but I am sure some is better than none. :)

kettlebell

A tablespoon of Great Lakes Gelatin is 6gm so two of those a day will do it. If you are eating muscle meat, having it with that meal is ideal.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Is there an upper limit of gelatin that can be eaten in a day over a long period of time?

J

j.

Charlie said:
Is there an upper limit of gelatin that can be eaten in a day over a long period of time?

would "going by feel" be safe?

kiran

BCAAs (leucine, isoleucine and valine) will block uptake of both tryptophan (serotonin) and tyrosine, phenylalanine (necessary for dopamine). Low dopamine might not be so great, but I guess it will differ, depending on how much serotonin is an issue. Since gelatin has a relatively large fraction of BCAAs, it might do something similar, although it comes with some tyrosine and phenylalanine...

I've found a tablespoon of gelatin to trigger sleep in the day, and make it harder for me to wake if taken at night, and this is the mechanism that perhaps explain it.

kettlebell

Charlie said:

Good question Charlie,

I can only speak for myself here but day to day I get 30gm+ gelatin by using great lakes or broth soups (Oxtaqil, lamb shanks etc) with no issues. I add a tablespoon or two to most of my OJ's throughout the day. I tend to just free pour these days so its probably a lot more than a tablespoon each time (I pour for several seconds).

I have not used the un-hydrolysed gelatin from great lakes so cannot say if that would cause issue in the amounts I have been using but the hydrolysed certainly doesn't cause me issue.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
Charlie said:

would "going by feel" be safe?

I dunno. :confused

kiran said:
BCAAs (leucine, isoleucine and valine) will block uptake of both tryptophan (serotonin) and tyrosine, phenylalanine (necessary for dopamine). Low dopamine might not be so great, but I guess it will differ, depending on how much serotonin is an issue. Since gelatin has a relatively large fraction of BCAAs, it might do something similar, although it comes with some tyrosine and phenylalanine...

I've found a tablespoon of gelatin to trigger sleep in the day, and make it harder for me to wake if taken at night, and this is the mechanism that perhaps explain it.

I have taken a lot of gelatin the last couple of days and it hasnt made me more tired then usual.

kiran

Charlie said:
I have taken a lot of gelatin the last couple of days and it hasnt made me more tired then usual.

Hmm, what kind and brand of gelatin?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Great Lakes hydrolysate.

Combie

I am trying to eat gummi's equalling about 20g pork gelatin a day.

I have also been adding a tablespoon of powdered collagen to my coffee. Its great as long as you allow it to dissolve in a little cold water before adding hot water etc. Doing it aqpprox 4 times a day, so an additional 22g of protein from this source.

Then chicken feet stock - dont know how much im geting from this, but a decent bit i would think.

I only seem to get mild digestive grief from beef gelatin.

Bluebell

kiran said:

I just found this comment - very interesting.

Low dopamine wouldn't be good, right?

I'm taking 50g gelatin per day, and no meat at the moment (just some liver and shellfish), but lots of milk & cheese. I remember Ray said perhaps even around 100g gelatin per day might not be too much?

In some of the older studies, therapeutic results improved when the daily gelatin was increased. Since 30 grams of glycine was commonly used for treating muscular dystrophy and myasthenia gravis, a daily intake of 100 grams of gelatin wouldn't seem unreasonable, and some people find that quantities in that range help to decrease fatigue. For a growing child, though, such a large amount of refined gelatin would tend to displace other important foods. The National Academy of Sciences recently reviewed the requirements for working adults (male and female soldiers, in particular), and suggested that 100 grams of balanced protein was needed for efficient work. For adults, a large part of that could be in the form of gelatin.

If a person eats a large serving of meat, it's probably helpful to have 5 or 10 grams of gelatin at approximately the same time, so that the amino acids enter the blood stream in balance.

... but maybe is 50g gelatin per day too much for me?

4peatssake

Bluebell said:
Are you having issues with it?

The key is to get at least 80 g of protein and Ray has said that for adults a large portion of it can come in the form of gelatin. It is extremely healing.

You can also make bone broth from which to get good amounts of gelatin, or supplement with it in bulk.

I don't think there is any cause to worry unless you are having issues that you know are from eating it.

kiran

Bluebell said:

I don't know. Right now I'm taking about 40-50g of gelatin + about a liter of milk daily, and I'm not feeling very sleepy at all. So perhaps my earlier response was mistaken. Or perhaps its the coffee, or perhaps its that I split the gelatin across the day.

So I wouldn't worry unless you're having issues with it.

Bluebell

Thank you very much 4peatssake and kiran! It's now the next day and I feel a lot better, I think I was just overtired and it wasn't the gelatin after all. That's good to hear you don't have problems kiran.

I will watch out for any issues, but otherwise I'll continue on with it. I'm also going to try making concentrated jello (solid) to eat as a dessert after my meals to see if that digests better.

Is there any problem with taking hydrolyzed gelatin? It's an enzyme process they use for it.