Glycine As Prevention And Treatment For Cancer

haidut

Forum Supporter
Related to my recent post on PUFA carcinogenicity and its prevention by dietary glycine, this study makes a case for using glycine as a general method of preventing and potentially treating cancer. Glycine is one of the most potent inhibitors of VEGF and many of the current blockbuster drugs are VEGF inhibitors. However, I think the more fundamental reason for glycine's effects are its opposition to PUFA, serotonin, estrogen, endotoxin (called LPS in the study below) and their anti-metabolic effects. Given the recent study I posted on glycine reversing cellular aging, I think everybody has plenty of reasons to up their gelatin and/or glycine intake. Btw, taurine has very similar effects so those who cannot tolerate gelatin / glycine can take taurine instead.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17567469

"...Accumulating lines of evidence suggest a possibility that glycine is useful as an immuno-modulating amino acid. Glycine most likely prevents the lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced elevation of intracellular Ca(2+) concentration in Kupffer cells, thereby minimizing LPS receptor signaling and cytokine production. Moreover, it was reported that dietary glycine inhibits the growth of tumors. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) plays a critical role in cancer progression by promoting new blood vessel formation. Activation of VEGF receptor has been shown to result in activation of phospholipase C-gamma and increases in intracellular Ca(2+) concentration. The VEGF-induced cell proliferation is dependent on intracellular Ca(2+) concentration. The effects of glycine on VEGF-induced increases in intracellular Ca(2+) concentration in endothelial cell line (CPA) were studied. The VEGF increased intracellular Ca(2+) concentration rapidly, but glycine blunted increases in intracellular Ca(2+) concentration due to VEGF. Further, the inhibitory effects of glycine were prevented by low concentrations of strychnine (1 micromol/L) or incubation with chloride-free buffer. Moreover, glycine increased influx of radiolabeled chloride into CPA cells approximately 10-fold. Furthermore, mRNA 92% identical to the beta-subunit of the glycine-gated chloride channel from spinal cord was identified in endothelial cells using reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. Finally, glycine significantly diminished serum-stimulated proliferation and migration of endothelial cells. These data indicate that the inhibitory effect of glycine on growth and migration of endothelial cells is due to activation of a glycine-gated chloride channel. This hyperpolarizes the cell membrane and blocks influx of Ca(2+), thereby minimizing growth factor-mediated signaling. Therefore, glycine can be used not only for treatment of inflammation, but also for chemoprevention and treatment of carcinoma."

narouz

Thanks, haidut!

I'm kinda losing track of what I am trying to do with all these aminos. :lol:
I can tolerate glycine fine.
And taurine.
Not gelatin.
Do you have a guessimate as to what might be a good dosage
if I wanted to take glycine (and taurine?) as a cancer preventative?
I also take lysine regularly for reasons you've explored in your threads.
Could I take all three regularly?
Could you suggest a dosage?

aguilaroja

haidut said:
.. this study makes a case for using glycine as a general method of preventing and potentially treating cancer. Glycine is one of the most potent inhibitors of VEGF and many of the current blockbuster drugs are VEGF inhibitors. ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17567469

"...Therefore, glycine can be used not only for treatment of inflammation, but also for chemoprevention and treatment of carcinoma."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24390398

Glycine inhibits angiogenic signaling in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells.
Bruns H1, Petrulionis M, Schultze D, Al Saeedi M, Lin S, Yamanaka K, Ambrazevičius M, Strupas K, Schemmer P.
Amino Acids. 2014 Apr;46(4):969-76. doi: 10.1007/s00726-013-1662-2.

"Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is a highly vascularized tumor with limited susceptibility to chemotherapy. Modern targeted therapies are aimed at specific properties of this neoplasm. Glycine is a simple non-essential amino acid with potential antiangiogenic effects."

"Glycine decreases GlyR-dependent, VEGF-A-mediated, angiogenic signaling in human HCC and thus might be a promising additive to chemotherapy treatment strategies for highly vascularized tumors."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96407/ Thanks, haidut!

I'm kinda losing track of what I am trying to do with all these aminos. :lol:
I can tolerate glycine fine.
And taurine.
Not gelatin.
Do you have a guessimate as to what might be a good dosage
I also take lysine regularly for reasons you've explored in your threads.
Could I take all three regularly?
Could you suggest a dosage?

Taurine and glycine have some very similar properties. So, if you are taking one then there is probably no need to take the other one. I would not take lysine unless there is a known problem with serotonin. There are studies showing benefit from as little as 100mg glycine per day, so maybe taking one capsule of 500mg daily with aspirin would be an excellent prevention tactic.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiran

narouz said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96407/

glycine can cause taurine deficiency. and vice versa.
I seem to recall reading somewhere a while ago
im now taking both and it does seem to help
right now im taking 2g of taurine+3g glycine split over the day with food

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
kiran said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96697/
narouz said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96407/

glycine can cause taurine deficiency. and vice versa.
I seem to recall reading somewhere a while ago
im now taking both and it does seem to help
right now im taking 2g of taurine+3g glycine split over the day with food

Can you provide a reference please? I have never seen anything suggesting glycine would cause taurine deficiency or vice versa. I have seen studies about beta alanine and taurine depleting each other but it only happens in very high doses like taking 50g - 60g of each amino for a month.

RPDiciple

Maybe i should switch 50g of my milk protein to 50g gelatin instead. so i get 100g protein from milk and 50g from gelatin

aguilaroja

haidut said:
...Can you provide a reference please? I have never seen anything suggesting glycine would cause taurine deficiency or vice versa...

I am also not aware of studies suggesting taurine depleting glycine or vice versa. Taurine does influence the glycine "receptor" activity, perhaps reflecting similarity in action in some situations. (haidut has mentioned similarities in this and other threads.)

In browsing, there is an old study that suggests the time course for repleting low taurine may be around several weeks (discussed as half-life in the measures).

Many forum readers are understandably eager to get well rapidly. Some food/nutrient intake strategies are made based on judgements over hours or a few days. For sure, early response in positive or negative directions can be useful feedback.

But it is also important to take a longer view sometimes. There are still many frontiers in understanding the timing of single factors for metabolic support.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11858700

Kinetics of taurine depletion and repletion in plasma, serum, whole blood and skeletal muscle in cats.
Pacioretty L, Hickman MA, Morris JG, Rogers QR.
Amino Acids. 2001 Dec;21(4):417-27.

"The relationship between taurine concentrations of plasma, whole blood, serum and skeletal muscle during taurine depletion and repletion was investigated in cats, to identify the most useful indicators of taurine status. Sixteen cats were fed a purified diet containing either 0 or 0.15 g/kg taurine for 5 months. Treatments were then reversed and the taurine concentration was measured during repletion and depletion phases. Plasma taurine exhibited the fastest rate (slow component) of depletion (t 1/2 = 4.8 wk), followed by serum (5.3 wk), whole blood (6.2 wk), and skeletal muscle (11.2 wk). Whole blood taurine was the first to replete at a rate of 0.74 wk to 1/2 maximal repletion, followed by serum (2.1 wk), skeletal muscle (3.5 wk), and plasma (3.5 wk). Whole blood more closely reflected skeletal muscle taurine concentrations than plasma during depletion, while plasma taurine concentrations appear to be the most valuable predictor of skeletal muscle taurine concentrations during repletion. This study suggests that the best clinical method to evaluate the taurine status of the cat is the determination and interpretation of both plasma and whole blood taurine concentrations."

narouz

narouz

aguilaroja said:
I am also not aware of studies suggesting taurine depleting glycine or vice versa. Taurine does influence the glycine "receptor" activity, perhaps reflecting similarity in action in some situations. (haidut has mentioned similarities in this and other threads.)

In browsing, there is an old study that suggests the time course for repleting low taurine may be around several weeks (discussed as half-life in the measures).

Many forum readers are understandably eager to get well rapidly. Some food/nutrient intake strategies are made based on judgements over hours or a few days. For sure, early response in positive or negative directions can be useful feedback.

But it is also important to take a longer view sometimes. There are still many frontiers in understanding the timing of single factors for metabolic support.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11858700

Thanks! Very interesting.
One thing I've noticed about taurine
is that it helps abate the palpitations (thyroid dosing connected) I have sometimes experienced.

My theory so far has been that the taurine helps me assimilate or hang on to magnesium,
which I have trouble taking.

narouz

haidut said:
Taurine and glycine have some very similar properties. So, if you are taking one then there is probably no need to take the other one. I would not take lysine unless there is a known problem with serotonin. There are studies showing benefit from as little as 100mg glycine per day, so maybe taking one capsule of 500mg daily with aspirin would be an excellent prevention tactic.

Thank you, haidut!

mujuro

kiran said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96885/ Here's a study that says that glycine depletes taurine in the liver:

The effect of glycine administration on taurine concentration in the rat liver

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01606551

This is what i could find right now. This hints at some possible effect the other way too? Anyway I thought I saw some research pointing the other way, but I cant find it at the moment.

I hate that. This happens to me a lot. I store in my memory the bottom-line conclusions from studies, for many years, without remembering the title or publishing details or how to find them again. When someone asks me to reference something, sometimes it's a matter of "just trust me" because I can't find the damn thing.

jyb

mujuro said:
I hate that. This happens to me a lot. I store in my memory the bottom-line conclusions from studies, for many years, without remembering the title or details or how to find them again. When someone asks me to reference something, sometimes it's a matter of "just trust me" because I can't find the damn thing.

Evernote is becoming handy.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
kiran said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96885/ Here's a study that says that glycine depletes taurine in the liver:

The effect of glycine administration on taurine concentration in the rat liver

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01606551

This is what i could find right now. This hints at some possible effect the other way too? Anyway I thought I saw some research pointing the other way, but I cant find it at the moment.

From the first study:

"... 1. The treatment of rats with glycine (2 mg/g) produced a marked decrease in the hepatic taurine content of neonate rats but not of adult rats. 2. The decrease observed in taurine concentration in the liver of newborn rats was not found in other organs, such as brain or kidney."

So, it happened in newborn rats only and also the glycine dose used was huge - i.e. the human equivalent dose was 285mg/kg, which means a BOLUS (single) dose of 20g+ for an adult human.
I can't see the abstract of the second study so if somebody has that please send along.

kiran

Just click on the "Look Inside" button on the right, you'll get the first two pages of the study. Unfortunately they deal with with some heavy metals rather than the taurine-glycine ratio we are interested in :P

milk_lover

haidut, is there any harm of taking lysine daily if you have no serotonin symptoms? I am taking lysine as a preventive measure.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut, is there any harm of taking lysine daily if you have no serotonin symptoms? I am taking lysine as a preventive measure.

Not that I am aware of, but I personally avoid taking essential amino acids on their own for more than a a few weeks.

johnwester130

peat wrote taurine, glycine, beta alanine, proline are very similar and may do the same thing