Glycerol Extends Lifespan By Inhibiting Glycolysis

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written several times about calorie restriction and I am a bit confused on his views. On one end he says that restricting calories enhances metabolism, on the other hand he says it is bad b/c it lowers thyroid hormone and promotes fatty acid oxidation, which is a hallmark of stress.
Either way, this study shows that glycerol is able to extend lifespan of worms by about 40%-50%. Apparently, the extension is due to the fact that glycerol administration inhibits glycolysis and enhances oxidative metabolism, which the authors say is the mechanism for the beneficial effects of calorie restriction as well.
Since glycerol is released when fat is broken down I wonder if fatty acid oxidation due to fasting may have some beneficial effects after all.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 6514001442

Has anyone confirmed with Peat directly what is his view on calorie restriction? I would like to know since it seems that occasional fasting does have many recorded benefits, and some studies controlled for PUFA intake, which is what Peat claims is the primary benefit behind CR.

johns74

Peat mentioned that restricting heavy metals has the same effects as calorie restriction.

messtafarian

Calorie restriction can also mean restriction of bad stuff, like PUFA or endotoxic starches. My understanding of Peat is that he believes that adequate daily protein is essential for good health, but if you are sick, stressed, or aging due to PUFA and endotoxin, eating absolutely nothing is better.

I think he really privately thinks that people should be a on a lowfat diet of sugar and good proteins. This feeds the endocrine system without stressing the gut.

Kasper

Where does he say that restricting calories enhances metabolism ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

jaa

That's interesting. So the weight loss associated with intermittent fasting may not just be from calorie restriction but also increased metabolism.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jaa said:
That's interesting. So the weight loss associated with intermittent fasting may not just be from calorie restriction but also increased metabolism.

Yes, I think if it is short term CR then the majority of the weight loss would be from the uncoupling of mitochondria and maybe water loss. But longer fasting would raise cortisol to the point that your body would adapt to the stress mode and slow the weight loss as a protective mechanism, and in fact may even make you gain weight. Ray wrote in another article how chronic "dieting" induced weight GAIN in women even at the meager intake of 700 calories a day. So, I guess it's all about keeping fasting short as to avoid the adaptation response.

hmac

haidut said:
jaa said:

Yes, I think if it is short term CR then the majority of the weight loss would be from the uncoupling of mitochondria and maybe water loss. But longer fasting would raise cortisol to the point that your body would adapt to the stress mode and slow the weight loss as a protective mechanism, and in fact may even make you gain weight. Ray wrote in another article how chronic "dieting" induced weight GAIN in women even at the meager intake of 700 calories a day. So, I guess it's all about keeping fasting short as to avoid the adaptation response.

This seems like something that would only be useful in the context of the person having a high functioning metabolism and relatively low stress levels. I don't think it would be something to use to try and get to that state.

dand

Is this still your opinion? Does this maybe indicate the intermittent fasters out there? Thank you for your thoughts :). Just tried a skin spray that was niacinamide and glycerol that led me to this :)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is this still your opinion? Does this maybe indicate the intermittent fasters out there? Thank you for your thoughts :). Just tried a skin spray that was niacinamide and glycerol that led me to this :)

Yes, I still think that skipping more than a single meal tends to have more harm than benefit. The reduction on endotoxin, which seems to be the biggest benefit of CR can be mimicked with drinking OJ, as per the study showing it blocked completely endotoxin rise after a meal. A serotonin antagonist as per the recent thread on benefit of 5-HT antagonists for obesity/diabetes/etc can probably do the same.

dand

Ahh, yes, skipping more than a single meal. Most of the "intermittent fasters" seem to just skip breakfast so perhaps they're in a sweet spot there. I think the primary benefit they get out of it is it makes it easier for them to manage their calorie intake if they're restricting. I don't think there are magic metabolic switches being turned on really, but maybe the uncoupling of mitochondria that you point out moves the needle. I know when I did it almost ten years ago I did get quite lean, however, I think I was severely underrating and my athletic performance suffered a great deal.

bump

Luckytype

Glycerol monostearate is in a lot of pump style body building products. I believe there is a "load" phase right before the workout however following that its apparently pretty decent stuff

Eric Yim

Glycerol monostearate is in a lot of pump style body building products. I believe there is a "load" phase right before the workout however following that its apparently pretty decent stuff
Hi there fellow lifter.

mirc12354

eating products with glycerol in them is probably the worst thing I ever did for my intestines... so much pain and gaSSSSS....

Luckytype

I wonder how much the glycerol liberated from fat mobilization and utilization affects metabolism in comparision to just FFA when
fat->glycerol + 3ffa