Glutamine Powder Good For Constipation?

serling78

Curious if glutamine is good for constipation. I've been having constipation /slow motility issues for most of the year now and I've been using glutamine powder for about 6 months. I'm not sure if it's helping at this point or not. Basically it seems like it's better than nothing. I know glutamine is good for IBS but I'm not sure if IBS usually involves diarrhea VS constipation.

Wondering if I've been blindly using this under the wrong assumptions up until now.

YourUniverse

Coffee, apples, orange juice, coconut oil, milk fat, vitamin K, hydration and most generally thyroid relieve constipation. Glutamine is a precursor to glutamate IIRC which is something to avoid

Maljam

What is your diet and lifestyle like? Constipation can be a tricky one to work out but if you give me a bit more information I'll share my thoughts. Coming from a previously chronically constipated person that is no longer constipated.

Are you consuming cow dairy? Travis wrote many great posts on this but cow dairy has the opioid potential to cause constipation in susceptible people. I suffered with this for genuinely years until I read his posts and made the switch to goat dairy, it was life changing.

OP
S

serling78

Why not just use magnesium

Unfortunately I discovered over the course of years that any form of magnesium kills my libido (also causes shrinkage down there...). I've tried to make magnesium work for me many different times but I always get the same result.

Frankdee20

How about more Fiber ? Coffee ? Milk ?

OP
S

serling78

What is your diet and lifestyle like? Constipation can be a tricky one to work out but if you give me a bit more information I'll share my thoughts. Coming from a previously chronically constipated person that is no longer constipated.

Are you consuming cow dairy? Travis wrote many great posts on this but cow dairy has the opioid potential to cause constipation in susceptible people. I suffered with this for genuinely years until I read his posts and made the switch to goat dairy, it was life changing.

I don't consume any cow dairy. I'm lactose intolerant so I do drink lactose free milk. Not sure how that fits in with cow dairy. I've never tried goats milk. I have tried different types of dairy in the past that are supposedly OK for people with lactose intolerance, like certain types of yogurt, but it had the same effect as other dairy on me.

I lift 4x a week, I have two young children so I'm typically active and on the go most of the time.

For my slow transit constipation Ive tried adding fiber, recently using Metamucil and that helps a small amount , but not enough. I've also been trying cascara for the past week and a half or so and I see no results at all from that. As a one-off I've experimented with things like a salt flush or magnesium citrate (I Def don't want to use magnesium long term per my previous comment) and I have found that even if I force myself to have diarrhea that still doesn't result in a substantial evacuation. It's more like instead of doing a small amount of solid poop it's a small amount of diarrhea.

My stomach and pelvic area are always bloated and I feel full most of the time.

YourUniverse

I don't consume any cow dairy. I'm lactose intolerant so I do drink lactose free milk. Not sure how that fits in with cow dairy. I've never tried goats milk. I have tried different types of dairy in the past that are supposedly OK for people with lactose intolerance, like certain types of yogurt, but it had the same effect as other dairy on me.

I lift 4x a week, I have two young children so I'm typically active and on the go most of the time.

For my slow transit constipation Ive tried adding fiber, recently using Metamucil and that helps a small amount , but not enough. I've also been trying cascara for the past week and a half or so and I see no results at all from that. As a one-off I've experimented with things like a salt flush or magnesium citrate (I Def don't want to use magnesium long term per my previous comment) and I have found that even if I force myself to have diarrhea that still doesn't result in a substantial evacuation. It's more like instead of doing a small amount of solid poop it's a small amount of diarrhea.

Are you lifting in a structurally sound way? Breathing, bracing (Valsalva maneuver)? Is it possible that you are reinforcing a suboptimal alignment of your intestine?

Maljam

Lactose free... cows milk by any chance?

Maljam

Good question. I'll have to check it out. Is goat milk OK for lactose intolerance?

Goat milk contains less lactose than cows milk, but not zero. There are anecdotal reports of people that struggle with lactose being fine with goats milk. It depends if you have a true lactose intolerance. If you are still constipated I would suggest that the lactose free isn't doing you any good anyway.

I would also say you should consider not drinking any milk at all, if you can't tolerate any milks. Constipation susceptible people often struggle with cows milk IMO.

tallglass13

I think glutamine works against constipation, I don't think it works for constipation. So using glutamine helps the intestine have fuel to keep peristalsis adequate and with energy to do its job. Cheese, bread, opioids are things that are for constipation. Things that are against constipation would be emodin, movement, glutamine, magnesium.