Glutamic Acid In Bone Broth/Gelatin

Elize

Greetings from Elize

Since doing gelatin and bone broths find that my body seems to ache and developed constipation.

Making the bone broth I use my slow cooker and simmer the bones with water and apple-cider vinegar for 72 hours. Could this cause too much calcium or could the glutamic acid found in bone broths cause reactions with some of us.

Would meat broths cooked or simmered for about 5 hours be better?

Thanks for any comments

sele

Greetings from Elize

Since doing gelatin and bone broths find that my body seems to ache and developed constipation.

Making the bone broth I use my slow cooker and simmer the bones with water and apple-cider vinegar for 72 hours. Could this cause too much calcium or could the glutamic acid found in bone broths cause reactions with some of us.

Would meat broths cooked or simmered for about 5 hours be better?

Thanks for any comments
RP said not to cook bone broth over 3 hours as it will release histamines.

OP
Elize

Elize

Thanks. Would gelatine then be high in histamine. ?

Kyle M

How are you supposed to make ramen with broth only cooked for 3 hours? Does it even get gelatinous enough that it would solidify in the fridge?

OP
Elize

Elize

My question too? Making my own broths do no see any gelatine or colagin after 3 hours. 24 to 72 yes.

Waynish

How are you supposed to make ramen with broth only cooked for 3 hours? Does it even get gelatinous enough that it would solidify in the fridge?

I thought RP said 6h, but exactly right... The only way I know to reduce it is to make meat stock instead of bone broth.

sele

Thanks. Would gelatine then be high in histamine. ?
Homemade gelatin is not high in histamine if cooked for 3 hours or less.

:) You can cook it longer for ramen occasionally or if histamine doesn't bother you.
My broth does not solidify in the fridge like jello but it has a very thick gelatinous consistency not watery. It gives me the same effect as eating solid jello.

My question too? Making my own broths do no see any gelatine or colagin after 3 hours. 24 to 72 yes.
If good beef bones are chosen it should get gelatinous in a few hours. You can also try chicken feet for quick gelatin.

scarlettsmum

i find stock made from chicken bones never solidifies unless you can find some chicken feet to go in as well. eek!

yurt

I also find that extracting gelatin from bones takes a very long time -- although I've read that the minerals they contain are liberated much more quickly.

In my experience, broths are best made at home using gelatinous parts, such as knuckles, feet, tail and skin, because useful amounts of gelatin are released in only a few hours -- and the taste is quite good, too. Reducing the broth (after straining) can help boost the taste, if desired.

Commercial gelatine unavoidably contains some amines; some people are quite sensitive to amines in food. Taste is probably a rough guide to amine content; higher flavour (umami-like) means higher amines. According to Dr Siebecker, some people with SIBO may be sensitive to the mucopolysaccharides in cartlidge; in this case, gelatin from skin and bone (but not feet, knuckles and tail) should be okay.

For those actively avoiding fluoride: I speculate that factory-farmed animals drinking fluoridated water may have significant levels of fluoride in their bones, so it's possible that some of this will end up in broths made from bone; broths from skin and joints could have much less, but I haven't seen a study that confirms this.

On a related note, high calcium intake (as recommended by Dr. Peat) helps to protect from the effects of fluoride (and lead) in the diet.

Birdie

Peat's answer on how long to cook bone broth from peatarian:

It's mostly for the attached cartilage, ligaments, and tendons, and most of the gelatin is released in 3 or 4 hours. Excess cooking oxidizes nutrients, especially if there's marrow in the bone.

Birdie

Thanks for the information.

Elize
Welcome darlin'.
I was kinda surprised at first encountering his theory on this. :rotatinglight:

OP
Elize

Elize

Gosh me too. I have done the 72 hours broths and stock for years not realizing that they're not as healthy as I thought. Always great to learn more. Thanks again.