"Ginger supplementation also led to a significant decrease in body weight, body mass index, waist circumference, serum TSH"

Mathgirl

"Ginger supplementation also led to a significant decrease in body weight, body mass index, waist circumference, serum TSH, FBS, TG, and TChol levels compared to the placebo. In summary according to preliminary results of this study, ginger supplementation can help relieve persistent hypothyroid symptoms. Also, it may have beneficial effects in terms of weight reduction and regulation of the FBS and lipid profile in hypothyroid patients."

Efficacy of Ginger Supplementation in Relieving Persistent Hypothyroid Symptoms in Patients with Controlled Primary Hypothyroidism: A Pilot Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial - PubMed

Momma

Because it supported the liver.

EvanHinkle

Interesting study. It should be noted that in addition to 500mg of ginger given twice daily, the participants were also on thyroid hormone. So this study is really looking at “non-responders” to thyroid, and showing that ginger ameliorated many of the remaining symptoms for those already on thyroid.

Helpful information for the many non-responders of the forum!

supercoolguy

In 2020 Ray replied to my email asking about ginger's effects. He said it would "Stimulate the Intestine".
Therefore I add it to my carrot salad, in moderation.

OP
M

Mathgirl

Interesting study. It should be noted that in addition to 500mg of ginger given twice daily, the participants were also on thyroid hormone. So this study is really looking at “non-responders” to thyroid, and showing that ginger ameliorated many of the remaining symptoms for those already on thyroid.

Were they on thyroid medication? I only saw that they were hypothyroid but had normal TSH. But I don't have access to the whole study.

EvanHinkle

OP
M

Mathgirl

Thank you!

FitnessMike

that's whats happening to me I think, will be sure after some time, my pulse is way higher for now.

EvanHinkle

that's whats happening to me I think, will be sure after some time, my pulse is way higher for now.
In their most recent podcast Danny and Georgi spoke about thyroid non-responders showing a response when they speed up their intestinal transit time. Maybe ginger, (which has been shown in some studies to reduce serotonin) is working on this mechanism?

FitnessMike

In their most recent podcast Danny and Georgi spoke about thyroid non-responders showing a response when they speed up their intestinal transit time. Maybe ginger, (which has been shown in some studies to reduce serotonin) is working on this mechanism?
If anything is slows down the transit in my case, but it could do something to the liver/gut we dont know about that helps out.

I buy organic candied ginger, basically small chunks covered in sugar, they are delicious and if you find the right one you still get potent ginger spiciness. Leave them in the fridge and have a small handful before or after meals is a great digestive I find.

Peater

"Ginger supplementation also led to a significant decrease in body weight, body mass index, waist circumference, serum TSH, FBS, TG, and TChol levels compared to the placebo. In summary according to preliminary results of this study, ginger supplementation can help relieve persistent hypothyroid symptoms. Also, it may have beneficial effects in terms of weight reduction and regulation of the FBS and lipid profile in hypothyroid patients."

Efficacy of Ginger Supplementation in Relieving Persistent Hypothyroid Symptoms in Patients with Controlled Primary Hypothyroidism: A Pilot Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial - PubMed

I buy organic candied ginger, basically small chunks covered in sugar, they are delicious and if you find the right one you still get potent ginger spiciness. Leave them in the fridge and have a small handful before or after meals is a great digestive I find.

Thanks both, for each suggestion. mine arrived today! Fiery and tasty!