Ginger May Decrease Vasopressin

paymanz

AJPGI : Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol
Abstract

Ginger has long been used as an alternative medication to prevent motion sickness. The mechanism of its action, however, is unknown. We hypothesize that ginger ameliorates the nausea associated with motion sickness by preventing the development of gastric dysrhythmias and the elevation of plasma vasopressin. Thirteen volunteers with a history of motion sickness underwent circular vection, during which nausea (scored 0-3, i.e., none to severe), electrogastrographic recordings, and plasma vasopressin levels were assessed with or without ginger pretreatment in a crossover-design, double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled study. Circular vection induced a maximal nausea score of 2.5 +/- 0.2 and increased tachygastric activity and plasma vasopressin. Pretreatment with ginger (1,000 and 2,000 mg) reduced the nausea, tachygastria, and plasma vasopressin. Ginger also prolonged the latency before nausea onset and shortened the recovery time after vection cessation. Intravenous vasopressin infusion at 0.1 and 0.2 U/min induced nausea and increased bradygastric activity; ginger pretreatment (2,000 mg) affected neither. Ginger effectively reduces nausea, tachygastric activity, and vasopressin release induced by circular vection. In this manner, ginger may act as a novel agent in the prevention and treatment of motion sickness.

AJPGI : Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol
The basal plasma vasopressin level was 2.1 ± 0.5 pg/ml. During circular vection, it rose to 5.3 ± 0.4 pg/ml (P< 0.05). The administration of ginger at 1,000 and 2,000 mg reduced the vasopressin level to 3.7 ± 0.6 pg/ml (P < 0.05) and 2.7 ± 1.2 pg/ml (P < 0.05), respectively (Fig. 5). This suggests that ginger may exert its antiarrhythmia and antinausea effects by inhibiting vasopressin release during circular vection.

Last edited:

REOSIRENS

Ginger tea is good as long as you only take low dose I mean just put a small slice of fresh ground ginger root in your tea... It seems lowering serotonin on low doses but if you take too much it causes irritable bowel movement

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Ginger tea is good as long as you only take low dose I mean just put a small slice of fresh ground ginger root in your tea... It seems lowering serotonin on low doses but if you take too much it causes irritable bowel movement

I don't understand Ginger. It drastically kills my libido. I have no idea the MOA. These are dosages in the 3-4 gram range.

Perhaps it is irritating my GI tract, therefore increasing serotonin?

OR I think it may be the 5ht1A agonism :rage:

griesburner

I don't understand Ginger. It drastically kills my libido. I have no idea the MOA. These are dosages in the 3-4 gram range.

i feel the same and wondered about that, too. all i read about ginger was like pro libido and sounds good but everytime i consumed a lot of ginger tea i felt worse and lower libido. i thought it could be a die-off reaction. otherwise i really like the taste and "heat" of a good strong ginger tea.

Dobbler

i feel the same and wondered about that, too. all i read about ginger was like pro libido and sounds good but everytime i consumed a lot of ginger tea i felt worse and lower libido. i thought it could be a die-off reaction. otherwise i really like the taste and "heat" of a good strong ginger tea.
Ginger is quite antibacterial, much more so than the famous carrot salad.

SQu

Ginger is quite antibacterial, much more so than the famous carrot salad.
I like fresh ginger tea. I get terrible motion sickness, once felt ill the whole of a 28 day overland trip ( buses are the worst ... :meh:), can't even watch go pro videos.
If it's a good alternative to carrot salad (which I do hit and miss, mostly miss...) then I'm very interested.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

It frustrates me too much, because Ginger has so many other health benefits.

I don't know what it is about Ginger, but it just makes me feel like shi*. The negative effects on libido, I wish I had an explanation for. Always open to new ideas, but I am suspecting it might be linked to the 5HT1a receptor unfortunately.

supercoolguy

:eyes: Immediately gets-up and removes Ginger Slice from Cascara Tea in Brewing Process.

Perhaps it is irritating my GI tract, therefore increasing serotonin?

OR I think it may be the 5ht1A agonism :rage:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals