Gf Flour Substitute For Macaroons?

Tourist

Would love to make some coconut macaroons and wondering what can I use for flour as I see Ray doesn't like coconut flour either

Any suggestions?

LucH

Any suggestions?
There is no suitable recipe because these recipes are based on coconut flour or almond powder. Almond is worse because rich in MUFA's. Try 1/3 buckwheat flour, 1/3 arrow-root / cassava starch and 1/3 rice flour (gluten-free). I would use eggs and cocoa as binder, rapadura as sugar. Use cranberries to lower sugar.

HLP

You could add grated carrot finely and squeeze excess juice from them.. I'd also use an egg and a small amount of arrowroot to bind them. I'm wondering about Tigernut flour. Tigernuts are a tuber but also very resistant starch so I'm not sure if they are Peat friendly or not.

OP
Tourist

Tourist

There is no suitable recipe because these recipes are based on coconut flour or almond powder. Almond is worse because rich in MUFA's. Try 1/3 buckwheat flour, 1/3 arrow-root / cassava starch and 1/3 rice flour (gluten-free). I would use eggs and cocoa as binder, rapadura as sugar. Use cranberries to lower sugar.

Yeah, I don't eat almonds but I didn't realize --till I just looked it up--that buckwheat is a seed. There has to be a small amount of pufa in there, right? I'd like to make stictly cocount so I think I'll play around to see if I can make them flourless?

OP
Tourist

Tourist

You could add grated carrot finely and squeeze excess juice from them.. I'd also use an egg and a small amount of arrowroot to bind them. I'm wondering about Tigernut flour. Tigernuts are a tuber but also very resistant starch so I'm not sure if they are Peat friendly or not.
Have you tried using the carrots? That's an interesting idea but I wonder about the taste with cocount? I've never heard of tigernut flour but I'm curious enough and I'll look it up. Thanks for the suggestions!

Elize

Hi

I use no flour.

3 egg whites
Pinch salt
3/4 cup sugar of choice
1 1/2 or more gluten free unsweetened shredded coconut.

Beat egg whites slightly
Add sugar gradually whilst beating
Fold in coconut

Drop spoonfuls on baking tray / parchment paper.

Bake till brown about 20 min 375 oven

Add more coconut if needed when mixing and vanilla extract is optional

Enjoy

Elize

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Appreciate the recipe--do you know what changes if I use whole eggs vs the white only?

Hi

I use no flour.

3 egg whites
Pinch salt
3/4 cup sugar of choice
1 1/2 or more gluten free unsweetened shredded coconut.

Beat egg whites slightly
Add sugar gradually whilst beating
Fold in coconut

Drop spoonfuls on baking tray / parchment paper.

Bake till brown about 20 min 375 oven

Add more coconut if needed when mixing and vanilla extract is optional

Enjoy

Elize

Elize

You can beat the egg whites and fold in the beaten egg yolks and coconut lol mine did not work as well
I used.the yolks in my smoothie

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Okay interesting and I hate to waste so I'll just stick to the recipe

You can beat the egg whites and fold in the beaten egg yolks and coconut lol mine did not work as well
I used.the yolks in my smoothie

barbparadise

I found a recipe using sweetened condensed milk and tapioca starch along with the usual coconut and egg white. It turned out good. Only 3 T tapioca starch in place of arrowroot.

J

jb116

Would love to make some coconut macaroons and wondering what can I use for flour as I see Ray doesn't like coconut flour either

Any suggestions?
Can anybody point me to a quote by Peat stating he doesn't like coconut flour either?

nwo2012

masa harina ?

oats ?

rice flour ?

Yes, non-GMO white masa harina flour is a complete blessing. RP says it doesnt cause persorption iirc.
My wife makes so many things from this, doesnt have the strong corn-flour taste like the tellow masa does.
Pizza, sponge cakes, pancakes, biscuits, even custard is possible. And yes macaroons.

Luk3

Cassava is the best grain-free flour I’ve used; it seems to resemble wheat better than the others I’ve tried. No doubt someone will say it’s unheathhy and ruin my GF pancakes I regularly eat for breakfast!