getting tired after cups of coffee?

Steffi

How would you guys interpret the fact that I got extremly tired despite having ingested probably at least the equivalent of 4 cups of coffee between noon and 15:00 and eaten lots of sugar with it?
After a very short bike ride for some groceries I came home and felt extremly tired and lay down. Didn't fall asleep though. Just depleted glycogen stores / low blood sugar?
Had no appetite whatsoever, rather the opposite. But after eating I feel more awake now.

I used to get that too! Do you have muscle ache, and what are your temperature and pulse at these times?

aguilaroja

Steffi said:
..I got extremly tired despite having ingested probably at least the equivalent of 4 cups of coffee between noon and 15:00 and eaten lots of sugar with it?...

I have experienced this from time to time. The metabolic stimulation of coffee subjectively seems to increase "hunger" for many nutrients.

Also, in some people and in some contexts, the relatively high magnesium content of coffee has a sedating effect.

pboy

its probably just that, low blood sugar. Combo from the stimulation of coffee and probably not enough protein and over all calories to balance. The sugar is huge, probably the most important factor to accompany coffee, but going 3 hours on just coffee and sugar will likely obstruct metabolism unless you had like a large balanced meal a little before it. Make a latte or something, or just have the coffee and sugar less often, more around meals or larger more balanced intakes

natedawggh

Protein. If you're increasing your metabolism you also need extra protein for the body to synthesize hormones and turn over cells. Try some cottage cheese at the time of coffee consumption—it has 13 grams of protein per serving (only Daisy brand is additive free).