Getting Plenty Of Magnesium Without Supplements: Tough But Possible

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

This is a great find. However the challenge in cooking is finding the sweep spot where enough antinutrients are destroyed or gotten rid of, but nutrients are retained and made more assimilable.

Nitric Oxide, Nitrates, Nitrites, And Fluoride, KMUD, 2015
RP: Around 1970, there were studies of these nitrosamines compounds, mostly involving proline or other amino acids reacting with nitrates in the stomach. And it came out they were very powerful carcinogens, and that they were formed in cigarette smoke. They were one of the majors carcinogens in cigarette smoke. But the Farm industry was forcing greater production by using artificial fertilizers (high nitrates fertilizers). And spinach produced with this fertilizer will grow very quickly, produce a lot of mass. But forcing it with a high nitrate causes it to contain several times as much nitrate as normal vegetables would. And the cooking process alone forms the nitrosamines.

HD: Even when you’re boiling a vegetable in water, rather than in high heat, they typically associate nitrosamines with like bacon, or...

RP: Yeah. But even vegetables, which have a reputation for being associated with a low cancer incidence because the many good nutrients they contain, it happens if you choose the vegetables that are industrially over-fertilized with nitrate, and then cook them thoroughly, so that they are digestible, you’re producing the same sort of carcinogens than tobacco smoke.

Last edited:

paymanz

Once i checked some studies, most people excreting just 100-150 mg a day , in urine.

B

Braveheart

This is a great find. However the challenge in cooking is finding the sweep spot where enough antinutrients are destroyed or gotten rid of, but nutrients are retained and made more assimilable.

Nitric Oxide, Nitrates, Nitrites, And Fluoride, KMUD, 2015
You can't win for loosing!...but, fortunately my spinach is not commercially grown and I boil for 1 minute only, to remove oxilate....am I doing right?...at this moment, who knows?

it's actually really easy to get magnesium, just boil kale or collard greens in a glass pot for like 10 or 15 minutes and then drink the liquid.

Now if you want to talk about something very tough to get, bring in calcium. This has been been the biggest issue for me. Supplements are horrible because there is usually something else in it and most of them are intestinal irritants. Eggshell calcium can cause the same issue, leading to very poor digestion. Milk/cheese can be a problem if you are metabolically messed up. What else is there? Lol. Forced to move onto vegan sources now like Kale or collard greens pretty much, but it's kind of hard to hit the limit with those. Also many other calcium sources in the vegan world are anti thyroid, like nuts.

Orius

I take 3mL of 500mg/mL of magnesium sulfate by IM injection every day. My doctor gave me an Rx for it. My RBC magnesium test showed up very low and this has caused me to re-evaluate my mag intake. I also take 3mg of boron in the morning.

The mag helps me a lot.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

You can't win for loosing!...but, fortunately my spinach is not commercially grown and I boil for 1 minute only, to remove oxilate....am I doing right?...at this moment, who knows?
It's likely that a diet high in magnesium is also high in oxalate:
Oxalate - Wikipedia

Grass-fed spinach has lower nitrate content but it makes no difference for oxalate:
Effect of Organic and Conventional Cropping Systems on Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin C, Flavonoids, Nitrate, and Oxalate in 27 Varieties of Spinach (Spinacia oleracea L.)

upload_2019-1-2_8-36-59.png
upload_2019-1-2_8-37-14.png

"The accumulation of oxalate in spinach depends upon variety, fertilizer application, light intensity, and growing season.[18,28,31,32] However, herein cultivation had no significant effect on the oxalate content of spinach (Table 2 and Figure 5)."

In your link, the guys cooked those foods for 12 min, but apparently (contrary to what I read) shorter times also work:

Effect of Cooking on the Soluble and Insoluble Oxalate Content of Some New Zealand Foods

upload_2019-1-2_8-37-43.png

"The cooking times taken from when the water began to boil were, NZ spinach and spinach 2 min; silverbeet leaves, 6 min; silverbeet stems, rhubarb stalks, broccoli, carrot and parsnip 10 min."​

I guess the best bet is letting oxalic acid react with calcium outside the body, because it will form insoluble salt that's more difficult to be adsorbed:

If magnesium appears encased in chlorophyll and the leaves keep the original color after cooking, its content must still be high. Here's the effect of length of scalding on minerals in a produce that resembles spinach:

Magnesium and potassium: :wavingyellow

B

Braveheart

It's likely that a diet high in magnesium is also high in oxalate:
Oxalate - Wikipedia

Grass-fed spinach has lower nitrate content but it makes no difference for oxalate:
Effect of Organic and Conventional Cropping Systems on Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin C, Flavonoids, Nitrate, and Oxalate in 27 Varieties of Spinach (Spinacia oleracea L.)

View attachment 11733

"The accumulation of oxalate in spinach depends upon variety, fertilizer application, light intensity, and growing season.[18,28,31,32] However, herein cultivation had no significant effect on the oxalate content of spinach (Table 2 and Figure 5)."

In your link, the guys cooked those foods for 12 min, but apparently (contrary to what I read) shorter times also work:

Effect of Cooking on the Soluble and Insoluble Oxalate Content of Some New Zealand Foods

View attachment 11734

"The cooking times taken from when the water began to boil were, NZ spinach and spinach 2 min; silverbeet leaves, 6 min; silverbeet stems, rhubarb stalks, broccoli, carrot and parsnip 10 min."​

I guess the best bet is letting oxalic acid react with calcium outside the body, because it will form insoluble salt that's more difficult to be adsorbed:

If magnesium appears encased in chlorophyll and the leaves keep the original color after cooking, its content must still be high. Here's the effect of length of scalding on minerals in a produce that resembles spinach:

Magnesium and potassium: :wavingyellow

"I guess the best bet is letting oxalic acid react with calcium outside the body, because it will form insoluble salt that's more difficult to be adsorbed:"...HUH?

"Overall these results imply that it would be difficult to
ingest an excessive amount of oxalate from eating grilled
spinach in a normal diet and the consumption of a high
calcium containing food, such as sour cream, at the same time
would cause little oxalate from the spinach to be absorbed.

The results have a greater implication for the availability of
calcium in the spinach, 76.7% of the total calcium in spinach
is bound to oxalate as insoluble oxalate. The remaining
calcium in spinach and calcium in any calcium containing
foods consumed at the same time have the potential to be
made unavailable by binding to the soluble oxalate released
from the spinach as it is digested in the small intestine."

So, forget the Ca in spinach and any in dairy... eaten at the same time... I don't eat spinach for the Ca anyway?

managing

I take 3mL of 500mg/mL of magnesium sulfate by IM injection every day. My doctor gave me an Rx for it. My RBC magnesium test showed up very low and this has caused me to re-evaluate my mag intake. I also take 3mg of boron in the morning.

The mag helps me a lot.
Interesting. Can you tell us anything about how you experience the effects? What symptoms brought you to it? Where in the world are you (what health system)?

D Man

Anyone consider/have experienced making a home made magnesium spray by dissolving Epsom salts in water?

Or you could just swim in the ocean every other day.

Works for me :):

The salt water Combined with Ice cold temperatures. Incredibly powerful

Orius

Interesting. Can you tell us anything about how you experience the effects? What symptoms brought you to it? Where in the world are you (what health system)?

Magnesium is a co-factor in over 300 functions in the body. I have noticed so many improvements from taking it... anxiety and depression gone, better sleep, better muscle tone and flexibility, more stable hormones, more daytime energy, higher metabolic rate, teeth have been remineralizing (I had 6 cavities: all gone), my body odor doesn't stink anymore, my hands and feet are always warm (they were cold before), all bodily membranes like nose, mouth, intestines are less dry, etc etc... the list goes on.

The most important thing is that my auto-immune disease has improved drastically.

managing

Magnesium is a co-factor in over 300 functions in the body. I have noticed so many improvements from taking it... anxiety and depression gone, better sleep, better muscle tone and flexibility, more stable hormones, more daytime energy, higher metabolic rate, teeth have been remineralizing (I had 6 cavities: all gone), my body odor doesn't stink anymore, my hands and feet are always warm (they were cold before), all bodily membranes like nose, mouth, intestines are less dry, etc etc... the list goes on.

The most important thing is that my auto-immune disease has improved drastically.
Thanks. Still curious about the health system you are in? Where a doctor would bother to look at something like this and would consider a therapy like this. I venture to guess its definitely not the US? Or maybe you are saying you figured this out and adopted the IM Mg yourself, not by doctor's prescription?

Hairfedup

I eat cassava, yams and plantain pretty much everyday. I hope my magnesium levels are fine lol.

Orius

Thanks. Still curious about the health system you are in? Where a doctor would bother to look at something like this and would consider a therapy like this. I venture to guess its definitely not the US? Or maybe you are saying you figured this out and adopted the IM Mg yourself, not by doctor's prescription?

Why is a system necessary? My RBC magnesium was very low, well below normal. It made sense to start supplementing. My doctor gave me an RX for IM magnesium at my request because it was unlikely that I'd be able to get the RDA + extra through diet without causing gastrointestinal upset. It also didn't make sense to go to her office daily to receive mag injections.

No, I'm not in the U.S... but IM ampules are available in the U.S. I know people there who do what I do.

FWIW though, if you're interested in a magnesium based protocol, the Root Cause Protocol by Morley Robins is probably the most comprehensive remineralization protocol I have ever come across, which is based in eliminating toxic unbound iron from the body. From my own self-experiments and years of research, I firmly believe that magnesium, bioavailable copper, and whole food vitamin C are critical to human health and their widespread lack is the root cause of many ills of our society.

managing

Why is a system necessary? My RBC magnesium was very low, well below normal. It made sense to start supplementing. My doctor gave me an RX for IM magnesium at my request because it was unlikely that I'd be able to get the RDA + extra through diet without causing gastrointestinal upset. It also didn't make sense to go to her office daily to receive mag injections.

No, I'm not in the U.S... but IM ampules are available in the U.S. I know people there who do what I do.

FWIW though, if you're interested in a magnesium based protocol, the Root Cause Protocol by Morley Robins is probably the most comprehensive remineralization protocol I have ever come across, which is based in eliminating toxic unbound iron from the body. From my own self-experiments and years of research, I firmly believe that magnesium, bioavailable copper, and whole food vitamin C are critical to human health and their widespread lack is the root cause of many ills of our society.
Thanks. I'll look into that.

FWIW, I think you misunderstood what I meant by system. The answer is probably just your country. Here in the US, getting a doctor to look at something like that is very difficult. I am sure its not impossible, just very, very difficult. The entire health system is based on get them in, write a common prescription, get them out.

Orius

Thanks. I'll look into that.

FWIW, I think you misunderstood what I meant by system. The answer is probably just your country. Here in the US, getting a doctor to look at something like that is very difficult. I am sure its not impossible, just very, very difficult. The entire health system is based on get them in, write a common prescription, get them out.

Ah yes, sorry I did misunderstand you.

In the U.S. most of the private labs do RBC magnesium tests, but getting insurance to cover it may be iffy. It's not a very expensive test, but paying for the blood draw and shipping could make it expensive.

IM mag sulfate is very common and dirt cheap to make. It's basically epsom salts in a buffered, sterile solution. The benefit of injection is obviously that 100% is delivered, but also that it bypasses the GI tract and therefore any irritation.

If you know how to do IM injections and have access to insulin syringes, then getting an RX for the multi-dose vial shouldn't waste much of your doctor's time. They come in 50mL vials usually.

managing

Ah yes, sorry I did misunderstand you.

In the U.S. most of the private labs do RBC magnesium tests, but getting insurance to cover it may be iffy. It's not a very expensive test, but paying for the blood draw and shipping could make it expensive.

IM mag sulfate is very common and dirt cheap to make. It's basically epsom salts in a buffered, sterile solution. The benefit of injection is obviously that 100% is delivered, but also that it bypasses the GI tract and therefore any irritation.

If you know how to do IM injections and have access to insulin syringes, then getting an RX for the multi-dose vial shouldn't waste much of your doctor's time. They come in 50mL vials usually.
Thanks. Its an angle I've never previously considered.

The bolded is why it would be uncommon in the US for a doctor to think of it, or proactively pursue it. Unfortunately.

sunraiser

"In the animal model used, magnesium deficiency is created when an inflammatory condition is produced."

From Magnesium and the Inflammatory Response: Potential PhysiopathologicalImplications." Archives of Biochemistry & Biophysics 458, no. 1 (February 1, 2007): 48–56.

So simply getting sunshine (as long as it feels good) on as much of your body as possible or doing tolerable exercise that you have the energy for can help stop a magnesium deficiency. (both things can have huge inflammation lowering properties)

I feel that insulin resistance and lymph stagnation are two huge inflammation sources in society in general.

Adding magnesium may be necessary, especially for those that have used supplemental vitamin D, but it can also be quite imbalancing to other minerals.

My experience is consistent with the above.

If you can find a way to directly address the inflammation then the magnesium deficiency will right itself via an okay diet. It does mean reducing refined sugar, though (if insulin resistance is an issue) as it'll just increase your magnesium need.