Getting Jacked And Muscular While Keeping A Full Head Of Hair

GreekDemiGod

I have truly come to terms that being lean and muscular makes a man significantly more attractive.
Last year, I was at my heaviest after 1.5 years of consistent lifting.170 lbs at 6ft tall.
I was running on stress hormones, doing IF high protein, high PUFA, cold showers. My hair started getting worse at this time, experienced thinning and some recession (NW 1.5). Probably due to poor thyroid, bacterial overgrowth, emotional stress.

I started peating this summer, my hair stopped getting worse, new baby hairs appeared and I started to reverse some of the thinning. I credit Aspirin and Taurine for that.
To the untrained eye, I'm a NW1 full head.
Right now, I'm at a lower bodyweight and muscle mass than before (155 lbs barely)
I want to start putting on new muscle once again, but my hair is a priority looks-wise.
How to reconcile both? Any strategies to pursuit?

Beastmode

I have truly come to terms that being lean and muscular makes a man significantly more attractive.
Last year, I was at my heaviest after 1.5 years of consistent lifting. I was running on stress hormones, doing IF high protein, high PUFA, cold showers. My hair started getting worse at this time, experienced thinning and some recession (NW 1.5). Probably due to poor thyroid, bacterial overgrowth, emotional stress.

I started peating this summer, my hair stopped getting worse, new baby hairs appeared and I started to reverse some of the thinning. I credit Aspirin and Taurine for that.
Right now, I'm at a lower bodyweight and muscle mass than before.
I want to start putting on new muscle once again, but my hair is a priority looks-wise.

If you get sore, you're probably overdoing it. It's worked as a great feedback for me with how I approach trying to gain muscle.

My first experiment was a 5 x 5 that you can find on Strength Training, Lifting Weights, and 5×5 Workouts | StrongLifts. It was pretty incredible how many workouts I did initially that felt like I didn't do much afterwards b/c the weights were so low, but after 4-6 weeks of slow progression of load I was surprised how much muscle I gained. Plus I never got sore. I'm not suggesting the program, but the overall concept of it seems aligned.

Diet wise I made sure to have a lot of calcium, extra magnesium and plenty of protein.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Last year, I was at my heaviest after 1.5 years of consistent lifting.170 lbs at 6ft tall.
I was running on stress hormones, doing IF high protein, high PUFA, cold showers. My hair started getting worse at this time, experienced thinning and some recession (NW 1.5). Probably due to poor thyroid, bacterial overgrowth, emotional stress.

Right now, I'm at a lower bodyweight and muscle mass than before (155 lbs barely)
Eating in a surplus and making sure to consume all your micros is the best idea. Several times over the RDA is best for the B-vitamins and most other nutrients if it comes from food and is mainly balanced (example, too much beef liver can provide too much copper and vitamin A, and is not balanced with zinc. Oysters are balanced with zinc and copper.)
Train 3 weeks with progressive overload and then take the 4th week off. Optimize sleep and recovery. Avoid stress. Get sunlight, red light and gelatin as low hanging fruit.
Eat a moderate protein diet for now, around 120-150g protein, moderate fats, around 60-80g and the rest of your calories from carbs. Eat only easy digestible carbs.
Probably the most important thing is just to avoid excess stress. Eat enough, avoid gut upset, don't over-train and optimize recovery then you should be good.

As a side note, I don't think 5x5 is the best approach. 1 AMRAP set and a few drop back sets are more than enough to stimulate adequate hypertrophy and strength. It's much easier that way instead of busting yourself set after set after set. With drop back sets you're already autoregulated, because you only add as many drop back sets as you can handle that workout. For smaller muscle groups you can just do straight sets (no AMRAP sets).

So in summary, my number one tip, avoid stress and if you can't learn to deal with it as best as you can.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

@Hans I'm pretty much doing everything you touched on, except eating consistently in a surplus, and I know that's No.1. I've had success with bulking in the past, so I know I'm stalling as long as I don't raise my intake.
About the RDS's, I am clocking on most, not sure if several times though.

I seem to have gained 0.8 kg in the past month. Still holding abs definition if flexed and in good lighting.
I am used to the bigger version of me (2018), so compared to that, I'm not as impressive

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans I'm pretty much doing everything you touched on, except eating consistently in a surplus, and I know that's No.1. I've had success with bulking in the past, so I know I'm stalling as long as I don't raise my intake.
About the RDS's, I am clocking on most, not sure if several times though.

I seem to have gained 0.8 kg in the past month. Still holding abs definition if flexed and in good lighting.
I am used to the bigger version of me (2018), so compared to that, I'm not as impressive
Milk, organ meat (kidney, chicken liver (much lower in copper and vitamin A), etc) and starches will quickly give you a few times the RDA on most of your micros. With a good surplus and protein intake, you can add mass very rapidly especially if it's regaining lost mass.

YUPEATER

Milk, organ meat (kidney, chicken liver (much lower in copper and vitamin A), etc) and starches will quickly give you a few times the RDA on most of your micros. With a good surplus and protein intake, you can add mass very rapidly especially if it's regaining lost mass.

Hans, you don’t eat vegetables?

MitchMitchell

Milk, beef, eggs, salmon, fruit juices, optimum nutrition serious mass and avoid overtraining like the plague

I’m pretty sure making gains is about getting close enough to failure and I’d rather get there doing the least amount of reps. I think it’s terrible for a natural trainee to do drop sets and whatnot with a bunch of junk volume. I’d focus on some sort of Bulgarian training except you don’t go heavier than 80-85% for a couple of singles and focus on perfect technique and calmly obliterating the lift (speed is paramount)

MitchMitchell

6’3 got from 145 to 185 natural without shedding a hair, then up to 225 on trt and some orals still very little receding at 28yo. I only started receding when chasing gains after I hopped off everything which got my stress hormones on fire. I suppose I should’ve stayed on Testosterone, idk I don’t care enough.

my point is most guys (and women) lose hair because of overtraining. I’m skeptical that it’s the androgens although some tend to cause hypoglycemia and adrenaline spiking.

5/3/1 is another very solid very low volume routine especially if you stick to boring but big. The 5 sets of 10 @50-60% are nice to get some blood flowing and nothing more.

Hans

Forum Supporter
When is your Alpha Energy Course coming out? I would like to buy :happy:
(I’m signed up already to your mailing list)
It's coming soon, thanks for your interest. Hopefully early next year. :)