Getting Fat

yerrag

IMHO, this post, and the previous one, are absolutely brilliant.

I,ve been thinking for some time, that endotoxin somehow messes up the body's energetic system, so that we become insulin resistant and can't use the fat stores properly. If this is the truth, there is a great hope for guys like us, despite, as you mentioned, very difficult to achieve.

Yerrag, until my stearic acid and cocoa butter arrived, can you tell me how to dance with the dry fast (I don't need supervision, I,m a big boy, lol)? And also, how come you take food (sugar) while on it? If it,s a fast, shouldn't be a full one (otherwise it turns into diet)?
Thanks
Looking back early this year, around March, I had two 24 hr dry fasts, and I was able to maintain a blood sugar of 75 throughout the fast. That was before my endotoxin storm, which occurred in July. Now, when I fast, my blood sugar would go down to 60. At this low level, I have a good chance of getting sick - colds, fever, or even flu. Years back, I struggled with these. That was from childhood to twenty years ago. I was very sickly because I had not realized it was my blood sugar goes down to hypoglycemic levels 3 hours after a meal. But that was then. I have corrected my blood sugar regulation and have not had a fever since, and I attribute this to a very good blood sugar regulation in place.

But with the endotoxemia I'm in now, I could not maintain the blood sugar I had earlier this year. On a dry fast, it would reach 60. I had to take a tsp sugar each time I felt low blood sugar. It could be every 2 hours, but I try to hold out until I felt I had to take it. Hopefully, as I do my dry fasts over time, I would notice that I won't need the sugar assist anymore. This would mean that I'm getting the endotoxins out of my system. The fasts are intended to destroy endotoxins, and if I'm seeing improvement on my blood sugar levels, it's a good sign the fasts are doing their job.

I don't want to shock my system though. I rather proceed cautiously and gradually build up the length of my dry fasts. I've done two 24hr dry fasts, and currently on the 2nd day of a 48hr dry fast. I'm holding up well. It helps to have a glucometer on hand to test oneself, but it's not a must, as we can usually feel blood sugar lows.

I hope to get my blood sugar level back to 75 on a 24hr dry fast, as that would mean my glycogen stores, which last for a day, are doing their job, and that my insulin is kicking in just at the right moment and in the right quantity, and is regulating not just my blood sugar level, but also the other metabolic processes involving lipolysis, proteolysis, gluconeogenesis, and glycogenolysis - such that they are in tune with one another and providing an orderly flow of energy to my body. When there is mayhem and discoordination, overweight and obesity is a result.

I agree with the other posters like @ecstatichamster and @Nicole W. though, that being overweight is better than being thin . It is protective over running out of energy stores, being that fat is an energy store, and that being thin at the expense of having energy is worse. Having said that, if one could get that balance in energy, having a constant supply of it endogenously and externally, and minimizing stress while at it, as well as minimizing excessive energy stores in fat accumulation, it would be expressed as being in normal weight and not in overweight or obesity.

Carnivore diet is maybe a more natural and healthier version of the tried and true (intermittent) fasting/keto craze that is empirically found to work very well for most people. The additional magic that Peat offers is to understand the whole picture, and realize that these are interventions/treatments to restore normal metabolism, not diets for life.

carnivore/fasting/keto all do their magic through the same pathway: when glucose is restricted you simply must oxidize fat to stay alive. This means new mitochondria are generated, badly functioning ones are recycled etc. Which might many-fold increase the amount of active centers that partake in glucose metabolism once it is re-introduced and stress metabolism stopped. Without glucose restriction the body adapts to stress by keeping mitochondria broken and simply ferment the sugar for hibernation level energy needs.
It is a big "if" when you say "when glucose is restricted you simply must oxidize fat to stay alive."

Not all body tissues can survive on fatty oxidation. The brain is one tissue. Our red blood cells is another. So the body has to break down protein to produce sugar. In a fast, the body is forced to break down old tissues and convert them to sugar. In so doing, there is renewal and old mitochondria gets replaced by new mitochondria. But in a carnivore diet, I doubt this process is at play. I may be wrong, but won't the body simply use dietary protein and convert this protein to sugar. If it does this, it won't be using old tissues and breaking them down for conversion to sugar. And this would still leave old and broken mitochondria intact. If this were the case, eating a carnivore diet would not necessarily produce the effect of mitochondria renewal.

Another issue I have with carnivore diets is acid-base balance. Meat is acidic in nature and needs to be balanced by alkaline content which comes from another macronutrient- carbohydrates. Such as fruits, yams, potatoes, sweet potatoes, vegetables, leaves - without which it would be harder to maintain an ideal environment for the body to be in homeostatis. I don't know if milk is included in the carnivore diet, but without it would there be a calcium imbalance that robs the bones of calcium? Leaves have a lot of calcium. What about magnesium, which meat does not provide enough of? And potassium? Although meat has potassium, is it enough? Consider that the heart's efficiency in pumping is dependent on the ionic action of these minerals, with calcium needing to get in and out of heart muscle cells to induce the regular pumping action.

I'm just afraid that going carnivore as an answer to getting fat will just bring another set of problems.

Looking back early this year, around March, I had two 24 hr dry fasts, and I was able to maintain a blood sugar of 75 throughout the fast. That was before my endotoxin storm, which occurred in July. Now, when I fast, my blood sugar would go down to 60. At this low level, I have a good chance of getting sick - colds, fever, or even flu. Years back, I struggled with these. That was from childhood to twenty years ago. I was very sickly because I had not realized it was my blood sugar goes down to hypoglycemic levels 3 hours after a meal. But that was then. I have corrected my blood sugar regulation and have not had a fever since, and I attribute this to a very good blood sugar regulation in place.

But with the endotoxemia I'm in now, I could not maintain the blood sugar I had earlier this year. On a dry fast, it would reach 60. I had to take a tsp sugar each time I felt low blood sugar. It could be every 2 hours, but I try to hold out until I felt I had to take it. Hopefully, as I do my dry fasts over time, I would notice that I won't need the sugar assist anymore. This would mean that I'm getting the endotoxins out of my system. The fasts are intended to destroy endotoxins, and if I'm seeing improvement on my blood sugar levels, it's a good sign the fasts are doing their job.

I don't want to shock my system though. I rather proceed cautiously and gradually build up the length of my dry fasts. I've done two 24hr dry fasts, and currently on the 2nd day of a 48hr dry fast. I'm holding up well. It helps to have a glucometer on hand to test oneself, but it's not a must, as we can usually feel blood sugar lows.

I hope to get my blood sugar level back to 75 on a 24hr dry fast, as that would mean my glycogen stores, which last for a day, are doing their job, and that my insulin is kicking in just at the right moment and in the right quantity, and is regulating not just my blood sugar level, but also the other metabolic processes involving lipolysis, proteolysis, gluconeogenesis, and glycogenolysis - such that they are in tune with one another and providing an orderly flow of energy to my body. When there is mayhem and discoordination, overweight and obesity is a result.

I agree with the other posters like @ecstatichamster and @Nicole W. though, that being overweight is better than being thin . It is protective over running out of energy stores, being that fat is an energy store, and that being thin at the expense of having energy is worse. Having said that, if one could get that balance in energy, having a constant supply of it endogenously and externally, and minimizing stress while at it, as well as minimizing excessive energy stores in fat accumulation, it would be expressed as being in normal weight and not in overweight or obesity.

It is a big "if" when you say "when glucose is restricted you simply must oxidize fat to stay alive."

Not all body tissues can survive on fatty oxidation. The brain is one tissue. Our red blood cells is another. So the body has to break down protein to produce sugar. In a fast, the body is forced to break down old tissues and convert them to sugar. In so doing, there is renewal and old mitochondria gets replaced by new mitochondria. But in a carnivore diet, I doubt this process is at play. I may be wrong, but won't the body simply use dietary protein and convert this protein to sugar. If it does this, it won't be using old tissues and breaking them down for conversion to sugar. And this would still leave old and broken mitochondria intact. If this were the case, eating a carnivore diet would not necessarily produce the effect of mitochondria renewal.

Another issue I have with carnivore diets is acid-base balance. Meat is acidic in nature and needs to be balanced by alkaline content which comes from another macronutrient- carbohydrates. Such as fruits, yams, potatoes, sweet potatoes, vegetables, leaves - without which it would be harder to maintain an ideal environment for the body to be in homeostatis. I don't know if milk is included in the carnivore diet, but without it would there be a calcium imbalance that robs the bones of calcium? Leaves have a lot of calcium. What about magnesium, which meat does not provide enough of? And potassium? Although meat has potassium, is it enough? Consider that the heart's efficiency in pumping is dependent on the ionic action of these minerals, with calcium needing to get in and out of heart muscle cells to induce the regular pumping action.

I'm just afraid that going carnivore as an answer to getting fat will just bring another set of problems.
I think supplementing with bicarbonates would be really important on a carnivore diet. Gluconeogenesis will certainly take place on a zero- carb diet, which means ammonia production. Ammonia can only turn into urea( which is pretty much non-toxic as well as very beneficial) if the body has enough CO2/ bicarbonate ions. Low carb diets cause CO2 levels to drop significantly. Meanwhile, there is Mikhaila Peterson ingesting a bunch of chlorides from salt and magnesium and potassium chloride. Seems like a recipe for acidosis. I don't think that will end well.

Magnesium bicarbonate comes to mind.

baccheion

But why does it have to be calories? We are in the midst of a 40+ year uncontrolled dietary experiment, where iron intake and PUFA intake have gone up dramatically (independent of total calories consumed), and both closely match the rise in obesity.
What does the graph reflecting change in vitamin D sufficiency show? Does vitamin D counter effects of PUFA (due to increased T3, potentially lowered lipid peroxidation, etc)?

yerrag

I think supplementing with bicarbonates would be really important on a carnivore diet. Gluconeogenesis will certainly take place on a zero- carb diet, which means ammonia production. Ammonia can only turn into urea( which is pretty much non-toxic as well as very beneficial) if the body has enough CO2/ bicarbonate ions. Low carb diets cause CO2 levels to drop significantly. Meanwhile, there is Mikhaila Peterson ingesting a bunch of chlorides from salt and magnesium and potassium chloride. Seems like a recipe for acidosis. I don't think that will end well.

Magnesium bicarbonate comes to mind.
It's hard when you don't know enough of what you're doing, especially when you don't know the science. Like Mikhaila taking magnesium chloride regularly, for example. It doesn't alkalize to counter the acidity of heavy meat consumption; in fact it worsens by adding an acidic load on her.

Vinny

Ok, very well put, as always.
So, dry fast is basically no food, no liquid? That's easy. We,ll see if it makes any difference.

Yerrag, let me ask you something else:
What do you think about infrared sauna as a way to destroy and excrete endotoxin?
Thanks

yerrag

Ok, very well put, as always.
So, dry fast is basically no food, no liquid? That's easy. We,ll see if it makes any difference.

Yerrag, let me ask you something else:
What do you think about infrared sauna as a way to destroy and excrete endotoxin?
Thanks
Infrared sauna? I don't know if it helps. I have a Biomat which does infrared heating and I've used it before. It helps lower blood pressure but it doesn't do it permanently. I don't know if it does anything to endotoxins though. Back then I wasn't yet aware of the large part endotoxins play in affecting our well-being.

Vinny

Infrared sauna? I don't know if it helps. I have a Biomat which does infrared heating and I've used it before. It helps lower blood pressure but it doesn't do it permanently. I don't know if it does anything to endotoxins though. Back then I wasn't yet aware of the large part endotoxins play in affecting our well-being.
Yerrag,
Think about all those ancient traditions:
Banya, in Russia
Sauna, in Finland
Hamam, in the Otomans
Roman baths,
Etc.,
I think, it all comes down to getting rid of toxins, no?
The infrared, what does it do - it increases the body's temperature, which is known that destroys the bad guys....
Thoughts?

boris

Doesn't really make sense that any fruit juice would be too "calorie dense" on a diet where fruit sugar is considered the ideal source of carbs/energy and fiber is generally shunned except to get it in the (unique fiber) carrot. All that could mean is that he feels the ratio of sugar to vitamins in grape juice is not good -- too much sugar not enough vitamins/minerals - in other words grapes are not a well designed human food. But that would only make logical sense to a person who never consumes pure cane sugar as ray does. You cant consume pure sugar or cokes and then say grape juice is to calorie dense... makes no sense.

Peat mentions it mostly in the context of weight loss (grape juice).

As in: be cautious of the extra calories when drinking grape juice. If you want to lose weight.

Peat is easier to understand if you take his uprinbing into account. His parents made the conscious effort of solely answering his questions when he was a kid, without imposing any personal opinion on him.
So he mostly does the same now. He answers what he is asked.

yerrag

Yerrag,
Think about all those ancient traditions:
Banya, in Russia
Sauna, in Finland
Hamam, in the Otomans
Roman baths,
Etc.,
I think, it all comes down to getting rid of toxins, no?
The infrared, what does it do - it increases the body's temperature, which is known that destroys the bad guys....
Thoughts?
Speaking of sauna, I did hot and cold therapy for a year, about 3x/ week. After that, I lost a lot of weight. Too much in fact. My weight went from 150 to 127, gradually over a 6 month period, already after I finished my one year of hot cold therapy. I did the therapy to help me detox. The hot and cold therapy involved doing 6 reps of 15 min. sauna followed by a 1-min. dip in a 12 C bath. I became so thin I reached my weight when I was a freshman in college.

As for the infrared, it does increase the temperature a lot. It probably could have killed some bacteria inside me. Maybe I should try it again next year and see what it does.

Such_Umami

Since following RP principals, I have noticed my weight increased from 165 to 185lbs. However, I think this is mostly muscle mass because my gut would protrude at 175lbs embarrassingly but now at 185lbs, it is just like it was at 155 (my lowest). One person asked if I went to the gym, other people have mentioned my physique in other ways, I never had that before. So before people write weight gain off as fat, it might be an increase in muscle mass, hydration and glucose storage.

Yerrag, I have had many dry fasts also, including three 5 day ones and countless shorter dry fasts. I do believe that Rap Peat's principals need supplementing with detoxification efforts however my understanding has come to view dry fasts as less necessary until almost completely detoxed. I think a better way would be to keep your salt intake up along with your glucose (with fruit) and perhaps iodine intake and basically fruit fast for a few days/weeks. The reasoning behind that is that you won't create cortisol through dehydration, low glucose and low salt. This means that you will keep burning fat and help your thyroid whilst detoxing. The point where I will start to water fast would be when my tongue clears up completely on this protocol. Then once my tongue is clear water fasting, I will then move onto dry fasting. But jumping the gun can be very stressful and it's unlikely that you will detox completely through dry fasting alone because it's so hard and there's so much toxicity. And of course after every detox, make sure that you regain all you've lost and more through RP principals.

yerrag

Thanks @Such_Umami . Can you clarify some statements please?
however my understanding has come to view dry fasts as less necessary until almost completely detoxed.

I don't understand. Why would I need to dry if I'm already completely detoxed?

The reasoning behind that is that you won't create cortisol through dehydration, low glucose and low salt.

Can you tell me why this is so?
This means that you will keep burning fat and help your thyroid whilst detoxing.
Do you mean "not help your thyroid"

The point where I will start to water fast would be when my tongue clears up completely on this protocol.
What is meant by tongue clearing up?
But jumping the gun can be very stressful and it's unlikely that you will detox completely through dry fasting alone because it's so hard and there's so much toxicity.

In what way is it going to be stressful?

Why is it so hard and what toxicity are you talking about?

I had no difficulty with 1 day fasting as glycogen stores are sufficient for a day. But past a day, dry fasting becomes more difficult as I don't seem to be getting much sugar from proteolysis and gluconeogenesis, where I source sugar from amino acids from tissue.

Such_Umami

Thanks @Such_Umami . Can you clarify some statements please?

I don't understand. Why would I need to dry if I'm already completely detoxed?

I would define detoxed (still not completely detoxed) at the point where your tongue doesn't get any mucoid coating even after day 5 of a dry fast. I believe this to be stage one of the detox. Dry fasting will still have benefits after this but it's certainly a marking point.

Can you tell me why this is so?

Your body secretes cortisol when low on water, salt and glucose. If you detox whilst avoiding those pitfalls, not only will it be easier but you're going to be burning more fat during the detox.

Do you mean "not help your thyroid"

no.

In what way is it going to be stressful?

In many ways. Not only are you limiting carbs/salt/water but fasting can be stressful as toxins are pulled out of the fat and lymph system which also causes stress.

Why is it so hard and what toxicity are you talking about?

I had no difficulty with 1 day fasting as glycogen stores are sufficient for a day. But past a day, dry fasting becomes more difficult as I don't seem to be getting much sugar from proteolysis and gluconeogenesis, where I source sugar from amino acids from tissue.

Well, we are talking about more than 1 day dry fasting here. I'm talking at least three because two days is pretty easy. But after that point there's like a wall. It gets easier each time but it is very hard. The body is very toxic from all kinds of things. This is something RP doesn't talk about much but a herbalist called Dr Morse goes into it extensively. Either one of them does not have the complete picture but they both have incredible insights into their field. It's highly unlikely that you will be able to detox from 1 day dry fasts unless you do it very often however, that sounds like a good protocol. I thought you knew about it because you talked about acids and endotoxins so I wasn't very clear with my language. Regardless, I would still recommend looking into detoxing the way I pointed out because the RP protocol seems to create quite a bit of mucus that needs eliminating.

yerrag

This means that you will keep burning fat and help your thyroid whilst detoxing.

How does burning fat help the thyroid?

I would define detoxed (still not completely detoxed) at the point where your tongue doesn't get any mucoid coating even after day 5 of a dry fast. I believe this to be stage one of the detox. Dry fasting will still have benefits after this but it's certainly a marking point.
Tell me if I understand what you're saying: A 5-day dry fast would show that the first stage of detox has been accomplished if the tongue become clear of mucoid. At this point, any more dry fasting won't produce further beneficial results. At this point, other forms of fasting would be able to complete the detox.
Your body secretes cortisol when low on water, salt and glucose. If you detox whilst avoiding those pitfalls, not only will it be easier but you're going to be burning more fat during the detox.
So you're saying its better to keep the body from producing cortisol so that the body would rely on fat burning during a fast, right? But how can you keep cortisol from being produced?

Well, we are talking about more than 1 day dry fasting here. I'm talking at least three because two days is pretty easy. But after that point there's like a wall. It gets easier each time but it is very hard. The body is very toxic from all kinds of things. This is something RP doesn't talk about much but a herbalist called Dr Morse goes into it extensively. Either one of them does not have the complete picture but they both have incredible insights into their field. It's highly unlikely that you will be able to detox from 1 day dry fasts unless you do it very often however, that sounds like a good protocol. I thought you knew about it because you talked about acids and endotoxins so I wasn't very clear with my language. Regardless, I would still recommend looking into detoxing the way I pointed out because the RP protocol seems to create quite a bit of mucus that needs eliminating.

What are the toxins being released in a dry fast? I can think of heavy metals from fat stores. What other toxins are there that I missed? Would bacteria and endotoxins be among them. You mentioned acids. How are acids released during detox?

Such_Umami

How does burning fat help the thyroid?

It's not burning fat. It's not creating as much cortisol as you would if you fasted for a long period.

Tell me if I understand what you're saying: A 5-day dry fast would show that the first stage of detox has been accomplished if the tongue become clear of mucoid. At this point, any more dry fasting won't produce further beneficial results. At this point, other forms of fasting would be able to complete the detox.

If you are dry fasting for 5 days and there's no coating on the tongue, it is likely you are highly detoxed. However, more fasting would produce additional benefits as long as you are building back correctly between each fast. Dry fasting is the most powerful detox but also can be the most stressful on the body. This is why I thought I'd recommend easier ways to detox first.

So you're saying its better to keep the body from producing cortisol so that the body would rely on fat burning during a fast, right? But how can you keep cortisol from being produced?

Your body will always produce cortisol but to keep it to a minimum during a detox, if you get sufficient carbs so your liver doesn't signal to secrete cortisol, if you get enough salt and you drink enough water, your body will detox with minimum cortisol creation.

What are the toxins being released in a dry fast? I can think of heavy metals from fat stores. What other toxins are there that I missed? Would bacteria and endotoxins be among them. You mentioned acids. How are acids released during detox?

All kinds of things from alcohols, other things which have putrified, bacteria and acids in it's many forms, every cell in your body creates toxins as a bi-product of combustion and age, they all need to excrete these toxins as well, usually into the lymph system. The body releases them through the bladder. Here's a video you might find interesting:

Here's what is meant by kidney filtration:

https://inspiredbyhilde.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Kidney-filtration-latest-300x300.jpg

Vinny

Anyone considered before/after DEXA scan to verify fat vs. lean mass accumulation?
don't know what's dexa scan, i,ve got a body composition measuring scale that shows me exactly what's happening (bought it for 8 euro) but even without it, i can see the process with my own eyes ....

baccheion

don't know what's dexa scan, i,ve got a body composition measuring scale that shows me exactly what's happening (bought it for 8 euro) but even without it, i can see the process with my own eyes ....
It would be good if people got the scan, as it would show what sort of weight is being gained.

How much gain was as lean vs. fat mass?

Such_Umami

I kind of believe that the calories in/out value is slightly out of whack when it comes to an anabolic metabolism. It may take less energy to reach energetic needs because a stressed metabolism is less efficient and moving toward an anabolic metabolism while keeping food intake equal might result in weight-gain. I would think everything should reach a homeostasis however since muscle mass would likely be built slower and then fat be consumed by that once you've reached a certain state at a more efficient metabolism.

yerrag

It's not burning fat. It's not creating as much cortisol as you would if you fasted for a long period.

If you are dry fasting for 5 days and there's no coating on the tongue, it is likely you are highly detoxed. However, more fasting would produce additional benefits as long as you are building back correctly between each fast. Dry fasting is the most powerful detox but also can be the most stressful on the body. This is why I thought I'd recommend easier ways to detox first.

Your body will always produce cortisol but to keep it to a minimum during a detox, if you get sufficient carbs so your liver doesn't signal to secrete cortisol, if you get enough salt and you drink enough water, your body will detox with minimum cortisol creation.

All kinds of things from alcohols, other things which have putrified, bacteria and acids in it's many forms, every cell in your body creates toxins as a bi-product of combustion and age, they all need to excrete these toxins as well, usually into the lymph system. The body releases them through the bladder. Here's a video you might find interesting:

Here's what is meant by kidney filtration:

https://inspiredbyhilde.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Kidney-filtration-latest-300x300.jpg

Thanks!

I'll do a 3-day dry fast soon. I think it's gonna be much harder. I just concluded my 2-day dry fast but towards the end, I was starting to get a slight headache. And a headache is rare for me.

Such_Umami

Thanks!

I'll do a 3-day dry fast soon. I think it's gonna be much harder. I just concluded my 2-day dry fast but towards the end, I was starting to get a slight headache. And a headache is rare for me.

You will probably achieve kidney filtration either during or after.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals