Getting Back Into RP'ing - Feedback Kindly Accepted

OJ15

Hi guys, sorry for the long post. I hope some of you will make it through, and give me your 5 cents ;)

As the headline says, I'm back to experimenting the Ray Peat-way. In my lifetime I've been all over the map: low carb paleo, short stint as a vegan ...
I've been aware of Ray's work for maybe 4-5 years, and it really spoke/speaks to me - the whole view of the metabolism affecting every other mechanism in the body.

When I first discovered his work, I dove head first into it increasing calories from one day to the next: half a gallon of whole milk a day + 1 quart OJ (started peeing at night), liver every other day, gross tasting canned oysters, 4-5 eggs every morning etc.
I sometimes take it too far when I get caught up in something new. Sort of an 'all or nothing/no pain no gain' - mindset/approach if you will.
I've later come to realize that I thrive on balance, otherwise I become neurotic and that's when anxiety and stress often follow imo.

Anyways, back to the present.
I'm a 28 year old male, standing 6 foot 2 and weighing a meager 159 pounds. My waking temperature is around 96.8-97 fahrenheit, along with a resting pulse of around 60-70 bpm (higher in the evening).

My main issues are:
- (Lack of) weight/muscle mass (I lift weights 2 times a week)
- Cold extremities (on and off)
- Hair loss + greying
- (Mild/moderate) acne
- Consistent energy throughout the day

My current diet (100-120 g protein/300-350 g carbs/90-100 g fat):
- Slowly increasing calories (2600-2700 cals at the moment), about 100 extra each month to to avoid overwhelming appetite and digestion.
- 1 quart whole milk, 125-150 grams of sugar, 20 grams coconut oil, salt to taste, cocoa powder
- 3 cups of coffee with gelatin (about 15 g a day)
- ½ quart OJ + 2-3 oranges
- 1 raw carrot
- Vitamin D3, K2 and Vitamin E drops
- A couple ounces of hard cheese
- Some sort of meat, most often ground beef (I eat eggshell powder with the meat to balance phosphate)
- Some potatoes, pasta/rice/lentils once in a while

- 5-6 whole eggs a week
- A couple ounces of liver every 5 days or so
- Seafood (mussels, squid, shrimp) about once a week

According to Cronometer I'm hitting 90-92% on average. When I reach 3000 cals that should pass 95%, and more importantly 100% in vitamins and minerals. Not that I have to tell you guys, but Crono also takes into consideration whether you hit goals for water, fiber, pufa's etc.

If you have made it this far I'm interested to hear what you have to say - feedback, comments etc.

Maybe I should invest more in supplements - aspirin, thyroid, hormones (progesterone?). The thing is I live in Europe and I find it difficult to trace good sources of these products, without fillers, excipients etc.
Any links from European retailers? Customs can be discriminative against "hormonal" supplements imported from outside of the EU.

Have a great day guys, I hope to hear back from some of you.

tara

If you are struggling to eat enough, I wonder how you do with potatoes and rice, and whether you could have an appetite for more of them if they don't cause you particular trouble? (That might not be what Peat would suggest.)
I'd be cautious about pushing metabolism up higher until you can fuel yourself more reliably.
Similarly, I would be cautious not to overdo weight training until you can eat enough to support it - maybe keep your training short?
Does your appetite call for more?
I can see a case for increasing gradually, but maybe you could increase it a bit faster - eg 100/week instead of 100/month?

OP
OJ15

OJ15

I'm not struggling particularly at the moment consuming 2600-2700, especially since a large part of those calories come from "hot cocoa" (whole milk, sugar, salt, coconut oil mixture). I feel pretty satiated throughout the day.

During the last month I've gained about 2 pounds or so - that's a pace I would be satisfied with going foward. I'm increasing to 2700-2800 cals tomorrow, but I might consider speeding up my progression like you mention.

Any other advice?

OP
OJ15

OJ15

Bumped calories to 2800 - going to 2900 in a couple weeks. Appetite and digestion seems to be accomodating quite well. I've gained about 6 lbs since new years.

For european forum members: where do you buy aspirin (preferably powder without additives), progesterone and thyroid?

Constatine

Bumped calories to 2800 - going to 2900 in a couple weeks. Appetite and digestion seems to be accomodating quite well. I've gained about 6 lbs since new years.

For european forum members: where do you buy aspirin (preferably powder without additives), progesterone and thyroid?
I'm American but why not try haidut's products? His products are very well liked on this forum. IdeaLabs Online Store - Worldwide Ordering And Delivery - Laboratory Research Chemicals . And is it really difficult to buy pure aspirin in Europe? I can't imagine. A warning regarding thyroid and progesterone (and idealabs supplements in general), you will crash on them if you do not eat enough as your metabolism will increase rapidly. But so too will your hunger.

Herbie

I was in Scandinavia and the Bayer Aspirin from the pharmacy was pretty clean and is the same one Ray says he uses in Mexico.

I used cyproheptadine for successful appetite stimulant resulting healthy weight gain of muscle.

Not sure where you are though Turkey sell Tiromel over the counter as far as Im aware. Its the equivalent of Cytomel.

Ray Peats Progest - E makes it through ok as far as my experience goes and the idealabs as well.

OP
OJ15

OJ15

Thanks for the reply fellas.

Haidut's website doesn't seem to carry progesterone or thyroid, or is it just me?

Regarding aspirin, I haven't been able to locate a refined, powdered source of aspiring. Maybe I'll just settle for pills. How do these fillers rank in terms of harm: magnesiumhydroxid, magnesiumstearat, microcrystallic cellulose, talcum powder, macrogol 6000, acrylic resin?
Sounds poisonous to me, especially the last two :)

What do you think of the diet in general. I avg. about 100-110g protein, 350-400g carbs (~250g sugar, ~75g starch) and 90-100g fat (~5g PUFA, ~15-20 MUFA, ~50-60 saturated). Is my fat intake excessive?

Velve921

In my experience, Epsom salt baths and red light has worked wonders for temp, pulse, sleep, and muscle gain. I would consider those before choosing supplementation.

Ice cream + fruit + milk + salt + gelatin + Epsom salt baths is a great combination before bed time to oppose cortisol while sleeping. Many people see muscle
Gain through using this method.

tara

OP
OJ15

OJ15

Thank you Tara. For some reason I entered another Idea Labs website (IdeaLabs Online Store - Worldwide Ordering And Delivery), that didn't carry these hormonal supplements.
I will have a look, but would obviously prefer righting the ship with food and lifestyle alone.

I'm also interested to know if Peat recommends any particular macronutrient ratios?
I read another thread on this forum, pertaining to acne, which discussed low fat and favoring starches over sugars. Peat seems to recommend sugars over starches, right?

Also, the classic dicussion on dairy was presented which made me doubt whether or not I should cut it out. I feel like paleo and veganism (no dairy) didn't do much if anything, in terms of clearing my skin. That makes me want to continue with the milk, as I enjoy the taste and it is easily-consumed calories.

EIRE24

Thank you Tara. For some reason I entered another Idea Labs website (IdeaLabs Online Store - Worldwide Ordering And Delivery), that didn't carry these hormonal supplements.
I will have a look, but would obviously prefer righting the ship with food and lifestyle alone.

I'm also interested to know if Peat recommends any particular macronutrient ratios?
I read another thread on this forum, pertaining to acne, which discussed low fat and favoring starches over sugars. Peat seems to recommend sugars over starches, right?

Also, the classic dicussion on dairy was presented which made me doubt whether or not I should cut it out. I feel like paleo and veganism (no dairy) didn't do much if anything, in terms of clearing my skin. That makes me want to continue with the milk, as I enjoy the taste and it is easily-consumed calories.
What has helped your skin?

OP
OJ15

OJ15

What has helped your skin?

Hey Eire, it was actually your thread I was reading.

Good question, it seems to fluctuate. Quite frustrating really. I have a feeling that my mental state plays a substantial role in how my skin looks. The problem with that is, it can turn into a catch 22 situation at times. E.g. If school is frustrating, is stresses me out which may lead to a bit of a breakout which stresses me out even further and so on.
I once went to travelling to Australia, I was completely clear despite drinking 3-4 nights a week, eating junk food etc. My theory is the stress free environment was a major factor (sun, relaxing, vacation - you know, that whole thing ;) )

It seems like diet isn't my biggest causing factor, but I can't say for sure. Digestion seems fine, never have any major stomach issues due to trying new foods or whatever.

EIRE24

Hey Eire, it was actually your thread I was reading.

Good question, it seems to fluctuate. Quite frustrating really. I have a feeling that my mental state plays a substantial role in how my skin looks. The problem with that is, it can turn into a catch 22 situation at times. E.g. If school is frustrating, is stresses me out which may lead to a bit of a breakout which stresses me out even further and so on.
I once went to travelling to Australia, I was completely clear despite drinking 3-4 nights a week, eating junk food etc. My theory is the stress free environment was a major factor (sun, relaxing, vacation - you know, that whole thing ;) )

It seems like diet isn't my biggest causing factor, but I can't say for sure. Digestion seems fine, never have any major stomach issues due to trying new foods or whatever.
Wow your story sounds exactly the same as mine. I cannot figure out what's wrong with my skin. No vitamin or anything works for it

tara

Sun might be really important?

OP
OJ15

OJ15

Wow your story sounds exactly the same as mine. I cannot figure out what's wrong with my skin. No vitamin or anything works for it

Annoying. It would be nice if there just was a clear cut answer.

tara

No doubt about it, only problem is that we don't get a whole lot of it where I live :(
You got some bright incandescents to relax under?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals