Getting A Large Amount Of Daily Carbs From Apples

meatbag

Doubt this will get much feedback but has anyone tried getting a large chunk of their daily carbohydrate from apples? A lot of fruits seem to bother me; grapes, dates, etc. I think I'm consuming to much soda because it doesn't bother my stomach, it's just starting to seem like not a good idea and I wonder if it's having a negative impact on me. I think it ends up making me hungrier and crave other foods that aren't ideal. Raypeatclips already asked in the email advice section (about apples) but curious to hear anyone's experiences.

cyclops

I ate allot of apples for a while and had no issues, except that I don't really enjoy them.

SOMO

RP thinks Pectin may be an issue due to the fermentability of this particular fiber and apples are high in pectin. If you have bloating issues, apples might make that worse.

I personally find apples a bit bland and they're not particularly high in any nutrient, but I do love a cold, crisp green/granny smith apple if it's hot outside.

L

lollipop

Never tried as majority, only one a day. No problems. You might ask people over at hackstasis. Some have seemed to try it. Maybe @Amazoniac or @Orion know?

Johhny Tazzle

love apples and apple juice specifically martinellis apple juice, that juice is like straight cellular energy, but with the apples I peel and then cut and throw in the oven with a little butter and cinnamon and again that digests real easy but takes a little time

Inaut

would eating green apples, higher in malic acid, be a simple way of limiting bacterial growth from the pectin?

Nighteyes

I have incorporated apples in my diet a lot more recently... Travis certainly seems to think they are great, maybe he can chime in; I asked on his corner as well. They are great when I feel my system slowing down. They definitely help move things along and I think it is by stimulating liver/gallbladder (malic acid) and because of the fiber. A shame they lack a bit in nutrition compared to oranges.

they may be good for @Travis but that doesn't mean they are good for most of us. The pectin concerns me. I avoid them.

Remember it is not natural to eat a lot of apples all year round.

Travis also eats raw kale. I think this is very endotoxin-producing, and wouldn't work for me. What works for one person may not work for most.

Peat is very focused on reducing endotoxins. Seems to me that apples and things like raw kale are a mistake for most of us.

Nighteyes

Remember it is not natural to eat a lot of apples all year round

Yes, maybe ancestry comes into play as well here. I am from an area where apples are seemingly always in abundance (northern europe) and used in many types of dishes. I grew up on shredded apples with lemon juice and raisins. It was sort of a remedy when coming down with a cold/flu. Maybe the liver cleansing and fiber might actually help bind and excrete endotoxin for some people?

zewe

Apples are great for me as they are a natural antihistamine. If that's an issue for you.

Dates, or any dried fruit contain high histamine levels.

Travis

Doubt this will get much feedback but has anyone tried getting a large chunk of their daily carbohydrate from apples? A lot of fruits seem to bother me; grapes, dates, etc. I think I'm consuming to much soda because it doesn't bother my stomach, it's just starting to seem like not a good idea and I wonder if it's having a negative impact on me. I think it ends up making me hungrier and crave other foods that aren't ideal. Raypeatclips already asked in the email advice section (about apples) but curious to hear anyone's experiences.

I think apples are the least satiating fruit because of the high fructose concentration, which is something like 60–70%. Fructose does not release insulin like glucose, so it wouldn't be expected to release POMC and ghrelin either.

Bananas are unique among fruit in that they have essentially all glucose and no fructose.

I am lucky enough to get pineapples for $1.99 so I buy them by the case. Pineapples have proteolytic and chinin-lytic enzymes expressed in the core, fruit, and leaves similar to their insectivorous relatives (i.e. Catopsis berteroniana, Brocchinia reducta). Before they've been bred towards emphasizing fruit size, and not that of the top, perhaps they too had been insectivorous? A waxy powder can often be observed on the pineapple top: In one of this plant's cousins, Catopsis berteroniana, such a powder has been experimentally-confirmed to promote insect-slippage. Were pineapples at one time, and wild pineapples still are, carnivorous plants? or are they merely protocarnivorous plants lacking a few of the functions later evolved by the true insectivorous bromelaids?

The pineapple has a glucose∶fructose ratio approaching unity; as such, this fruit doesn't promote near-incessant consumption like certain strains of apple and pear.

Amazoniac

Doubt this will get much feedback
I don't expect a reply, but admirable trick.

It's not just a matter of fructose to glucose ratio because apfels have a very high ratio and don't seem bother some. I think how these occur is often neglected.

But in terms of fructose to glucose, pineapples are very balanced (problems with it must be related to irritation):
upload_2018-7-13_13-7-34.png

Whole apples have enough fiber to slow down the digestion of fructose and prevent problems. Yet the complex sugars can still be bad for some people since they do ferment.

--
This might interest you:

A Comprehensive Review of Apples and Apple Components and Their Relationship to Human Health

"Typically, the greater values in the ranges shown for juices reflect the higher concentration of polyphenols in fresh juice prepared from cider apples and commercial preparations of “cloudy” juice compared to lower quantities in fresh juice made with dessert apple varieties or commercial juices that are clear."

"A small study of absorption in ileostomy patients showed that 66.9–100% of ingested apple phenolics were absorbed or metabolized in the small intestine, implying that a range of 0–33% might reach the colon (25). Subsequent work by the same investigators provided a detailed analysis of the extent of metabolization of polyphenolic compounds after digestion and absorption. It was shown that extensive isomerization, cleavage, and conjugation of the native polyphenolic compounds occurred. Only 12.7% of the ingested compounds in cloudy apple juice reached the end of the intestine in unmetabolized form, whereas 22.3% were recovered as metabolites."

"Colonic microflora metabolize ingested polyphenols. Thus, it is important to consider the effects of potential breakdown products in the gut in addition to metabolites in the blood (12). To address this issue, a recent study by Veeriah et al. (11) in Germany used apple extracts fermented in vitro with human fecal flora to examine effects of the fermentation products on cultured HT29 and LT97 cells (the latter, a colon adenoma cell line representing early premalignant tumor development). Fecal fermentation resulted in a degradation of 99.9% of the parent polyphenols except for complex structures. There was also a 1.5-fold increase in SCFA in the fermented samples compared to nonfermented. Although the SCFA were not correlated with inhibition of growth in this study, it is known that SCFA can stimulate pathways of growth arrest, differentiation, and apoptosis. Fermented apple juice extract had an antiproliferative effect in both cell lines, particularly in the LT97 cells, suggesting a greater effect on precancerous than cancer cells. Unfermented apple juice extract also had potent antiproliferative effects."

"A follow-up mechanistic study using a similar approach with polyphenol-rich apple extract was conducted to examine the effect of fermentation-generated SCFA on inhibition of histone deacetylase in 2 colon cancer cell lines, including HT29 and Caco-2 (26). Histone deacylation inhibition is associated with reduced colon carcinogenesis. The fermentation products of the apple juice extract in combination with pectin included acetate, propionate, and butyrate, the latter of which was most significantly correlated with histone deacylation inhibition. This work proposes a potential mechanism by which AP, particularly metabolites related to AP exposure, might exert anticarcinogenic effects in the colon."

"Elevated lipids and aberrations in lipid metabolism are well-established risk factors for many types of cardiovascular disease. Research in animals allows for detailed analyses of the effect of AP on lipid parameters beyond simply measuring lipid levels in plasma. A recent study in hamsters evaluated the effects of adding daily apples and apple juice (pressed from fresh apples) to an atherogenic diet on lipids, oxidative markers, and early aortic lesions (47). Hamsters were provided with apples to approximate human intake of 600 g/d (~2.5 large apples) or 500 mL of juice/d. The calculated intake of phenols was comparable to dietary intake in humans (930 mg in apple group; 1100 mg in apple juice group). After 12 wk, it was found that both apples and apple juice significantly reduced total cholesterol (11 and 24%, respectively) and lowered the ratio of total cholesterol:HDL (25 and 38%). Both products also reduced the percentage of aortic surface area covered by foam cells (aortic fatty streak lesion area) by 48% in the apple group and 60% in the apple juice group compared to controls. Favorable effects on antioxidant enzymes in liver including SOD, GSHPx, and general markers of oxidation (hepatic TBARS) were significantly reduced by 47–52%."​

--
If they don't agree with you, you should know. The main concern then is getting enough nutrition elsewhere.

Amazoniac

Believe it or not, I just read Travisord's post!

His post reminded me of these:

- Ray Peat

"[..]another substance which uncouples mitochondria also lowers ATP a little bit and greatly protects the mitochondrion from free radicals, that’s fructose. Fructose absorbs excess phosphate ions, probably that’s related to why it lowers the ATP. But the absorption of the phosphate ions by fructose is, in a way, a direct defensive system of the oxidative system because the pyruvate dehydrogenase enzyme, which is suppressed in cancer, is why dichloroacetate is gaining so much interest because it’s a chemical that reactivates pyruvate dehydrogenase and improves the cancer metabolism in a great variety of tumors. But simply lowering the free phosphate in the cell tends to reactivate this crucial enzyme at the top of the energy producing chain. And when you are supplied with aspirin, caffeine and fructose, for example, you’re not calling on free fatty acids if you load up the cell with excess free fatty acids. For example, from some stress. The free fatty acids reverse all of those processes. They block pyruvate dehydrogenase by making more phosphate ions available, where the sugars bind them and lower the free phosphates. Fatty acids increase them and tend to poison the crucial enzyme."​

- https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/appetite.24669/#post-352074

--
One more table.

Last edited:
OP
meatbag

meatbag

Thanks everybody, great points all around. I guess I'm gonna try peeled, cored and cooked apples and see how it goes. I am concerned about the fiber and pectin so I'll try to look out for side effects, but its good to know that it doesn't seem to bother some people. The OJ available right now is pretty good but I know that won't be the case later on so I want to figure out a plan for the fall and winter.

I do okay on some pineapple but eating it everyday starts to cause problems for me. I do think they taste and smell fantastic though

denise

I don't feel awesome with raw apples, but applesauce is good. I usually fill my pressure cooker with a variety of chopped apples and cook for 15 minutes. I get about 2 quarts of applesauce from this.

L

lollipop

I don't feel awesome with raw apples, but applesauce is good. I usually fill my pressure cooker with a variety of chopped apples and cook for 15 minutes. I get about 2 quarts of applesauce from this.
Hi @denise, thank you for this. Does it only take 15 min? That is amazing! I love applesauce. Do you use high or low on your crockpot?

Amazoniac

Thanks everybody, great points all around. I guess I'm gonna try peeled, cored and cooked apples and see how it goes. I am concerned about the fiber and pectin so I'll try to look out for side effects, but its good to know that it doesn't seem to bother some people. The OJ available right now is pretty good but I know that won't be the case later on so I want to figure out a plan for the fall and winter.

I do okay on some pineapple but eating it everyday starts to cause problems for me. I do think they taste and smell fantastic though
Guru, have you considered this but removing decides in advance so that you can blend them if you want to? They should keep good for much longer than already juiced.

Last edited:

denise

Hi @denise, thank you for this. Does it only take 15 min? That is amazing! I love applesauce. Do you use high or low on your crockpot?
I use a pressure cooker, not a crockpot, so yes, only 15 minutes! I'd think with a crockpot it would take a few hours on high. I usually add just half a cup of apple juice to it (to get the steam going) and a bit of salt, but occasionally I'll add some cinnamon or cardamom too. It's best when you use several varieties rather than just one. It's so good I can no longer eat applesauce from the store!

L

lollipop

I use a pressure cooker, not a crockpot, so yes, only 15 minutes! I'd think with a crockpot it would take a few hours on high. I usually add just half a cup of apple juice to it (to get the steam going) and a bit of salt, but occasionally I'll add some cinnamon or cardamom too. It's best when you use several varieties rather than just one. It's so good I can no longer eat applesauce from the store!
Awesome! Thank you :):

OP
meatbag

meatbag

Guru, have you considered this but removing decides in advance so that you can blend them if you want to? They should keep good for much longer than already juiced.

Nice I never thought of that. I don't have a lot of freezer space but I was buying frozen oj concentrate not to long ago. It was pretty good for awhile but then I got a few crazy sour cans that turned me off and I bought some bottled oj and it seems to be good where I am right now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals