Getting A High Amount Of Protein Without Milk?

coatue

Hi all,

I was just wondering what those around here eat if they don't consume a lot of milk or any? After 5 years of peating, I'm starting to accept that I might feel better on a lot less or no milk (or liquids in general). The thing is I find it pretty hard to keep protein high and to eat well frequently throughout the day without milk (especially at work). I'm trying to put on a decent amount weight (muscle) and want to see others around the forum might be doing to get high protein diet without all the liquid. Meal ideas very welcome!

Thanks for the insight!

FacelessMan

Hi all,

I was just wondering what those around here eat if they don't consume a lot of milk or any? After 5 years of peating, I'm starting to accept that I might feel better on a lot less or no milk (or liquids in general). The thing is I find it pretty hard to keep protein high and to eat well frequently throughout the day without milk (especially at work). I'm trying to put on a decent amount weight (muscle) and want to see others around the forum might be doing to get high protein diet without all the liquid. Meal ideas very welcome!

Thanks for the insight!
I mix up and cook some pasture raised eggs and some grass fed beef with some salsa and seasonings and maybe some onions---I call it "ground meat and eggs". It makes a lot of food and I eat on it for 3-4 days at a time. I have it with rice, potatoes, tacos (corn tortillas). I just make sure that I take in additional calcium powder to offset the phosphorus and some glycine powder to offset the bad amino acids in meat...

Agent207

- Cheese and a quality undenatured whey -protein.
- A portion of pastured meat / wild white fish each day

OP
C

coatue

I mix up and cook some pasture raised eggs and some grass fed beef with some salsa and seasonings and maybe some onions---I call it "ground meat and eggs". It makes a lot of food and I eat on it for 3-4 days at a time. I have it with rice, potatoes, tacos (corn tortillas). I just make sure that I take in additional calcium powder to offset the phosphorus and some glycine powder to offset the bad amino acids in meat...
- A portion of pastured meat / wild white fish each day
Meat, eggs, cheese, yogurt.
Thanks guys. I already know these alternative. More curious how you guys eat meat/eggs etc. frequently throughout the day? Do you eat each of those with fresh fruit instead of OJ or soda? Are you eating every few hours like this? Give me meal examples if possible. Thanks again!

sprinter

Why Whey and not Cassein? Nobody likes Whey around these parts.

Thanks guys. I already know these alternative. More curious how you guys eat meat/eggs etc. frequently throughout the day? Do you eat each of those with fresh fruit instead of OJ or soda? Are you eating every few hours like this? Give me meal examples if possible. Thanks again!

I eat a meat/fish meal once a day for lunch. Steak on the grill. Cod on the pan. Shrimp. Liver. Oysters. The usual suspects. Sometimes Rice and Potatoes. Always Juice or Soda. Sometimes I'll get real crazy and add some cooked vegetables, but that's only if I'm feeling real wild. YOLO!!!

Jayfish

I usually eat
For you eating high egg consumption, what about high Pufas in eggs?

I think naturally occurring pufa in free range eggs and meat is probably just fine, maybe even healthy. Your trying to avoid toxic plant foods and industrial seed oils.

Honestly, after reading Westin Prices book, I'm not sure I can believe that cold water fish are even that dangerous. Some of the longest lived and strongest cultures ate mainly from the sea.

Last edited:
I usually eat

I think naturally occurring pufa in free range eggs and meat is probably just fine, maybe even healthy. Your trying to avoid toxic plant foods and industrial seed oils.

Honestly, after reading Westinghouse Prices book, I'm not sure I can believe that cold water fish are even that dangerous. Some of the longest lived and strongest cultures ate mainly from the sea.

I don't agree and neither does Ray, in my reading of him. Eggs are heavily industrialized today.

So, too many eggs create too much PUFA unless you are eating eggs from truly pastured chickens. Which few of us can. Most of the chicken eggs we eat are loaded with corn and soy that the chickens ate, adn this is not the same as the eggs that Weston Price's aboriginal people ate.

It's about 3g to 5g of PUFA per egg, and these are from corn and soy, even with "pastured" chickens. Not good.

BobbyDukes

Yes, I've always been confused by the 'how do I get enough protein' comments.

A 200g piece of meat is at least 60g of protein. It's just a standard size.

Getting protein is easy. Too easy.

A pot of low fat cottage cheese is 60g of protein. I can eat that in under 2 minutes, eating at a moderately slow pace.

Shrimp/cod are other protein sources that you can easily get a 60g serving of protein, whilst still having a lot of room left in your stomach for more!

I also do my fair share of gelatin.

My question would be, 'how does everyone keep a lid on the protein?', because I want to keep it within a sensible limit and not tax my body.

A milk diet (if you can handle that liquid) probably does a great job in that respect. Well, it does... I did it for two years (before giving up milk).

The ammonia issue bothers me a lot.

I do the Ceylon cinnamon every day. I suppose biotin and zinc also help.

Velve921

I consume 50-60 grams of gelatin a day from greatlakesgelatin.com. I mix in my coffee drinks:

Coffee, gelatin, coconut oil, sugar.

I sip throughout the day so it's easy on the go.

Jayfish

As for
I don't agree and neither does Ray, in my reading of him. Eggs are heavily industrialized today.

So, too many eggs create too much PUFA unless you are eating eggs from truly pastured chickens. Which few of us can. Most of the chicken eggs we eat are loaded with corn and soy that the chickens ate, adn this is not the same as the eggs that Weston Price's aboriginal people ate.

It's about 3g to 5g of PUFA per egg, and these are from corn and soy, even with "pastured" chickens. Not good.

Where are you from? I can get fully pastured eggs, not fed any grains for $3 a dozen. There's maybe 1g of pufa an egg which again I'm not sure is even dangerous. All pufa is not created equal, rancid fish oil =/= fresh caught fish.

As for

Where are you from? I can get fully pastured eggs, not fed any grains for $3 a dozen. There's maybe 1g of pufa an egg which again I'm not sure is even dangerous. All pufa is not created equal, rancid fish oil =/= fresh caught fish.

well, I don't believe that such eggs are easily available where I am in the USA. I have literally visited farms and seen free range chickens and they are always fed mostly grains.

This is the brand that I can readily get

UV7A0752.jpg

Though the girls are always out foraging for food on the pastures, we provide them with a supplemental feed as well to keep them well fed and laying those beautiful eggs. Our feed is 100% antibiotic and hormone free – and depending on the type of Vital egg you’re purchasing, it may also be Certified Organic or non-GMO, and will always state which is which on the carton.

tara

Typical for me:
breakfast: 2 eggs for breakfast, sometimes a little liver **** well or instead. sometimes potatoes (or rice)
lunch: beef/lamb/white fish/prawns/occasionally chicken. sometimes potatoes (or rice)
dinner: soup made with a gelatinous stock. sometimes potatoes.
supper: sometimes fruity jelly

I probably hover near the bottom of Peat's suggested 80g protein, sometimes a bit more.
If I were to increase it, I'd probably eat more meat and more gelatine.

LucH

1. I can get fully pastured eggs, not fed any grains for $3 a dozen. There's maybe 1g of pufa an egg which again I'm not sure is even dangerous

2. free range chickens and they are always fed mostly grains.
1. Fully pastured eggs are ok if you add some vitamin E and eat 1 teaspoonful of coconut oïl, with a apropirate amount of sugar (50 g) (50 % fructose).
2. Free range chickens feed with what they find in nature; only corn is added in winter period. No eggs in this period.
The composition of fatty acids can be changed by the chicken feed, if it lives outdoors, receives a variety of food, and so can access small worms, snails, etc. Some hens receive a supplement in flax seeds because the hens are able to convert ALA fatty acids to very long chains (DHA and EPA for example).
Average value per 100 g (or 2 small eggs):
150 K/cal. P12.5 G0.1 L10

Details for lipids:
SFA 2.64 MUFA 3.52 PUFA 2.64
50% of w3, is 1.32

Details for omega-3:
ALA 1.10 g EPA + DPA + DHA 220 mg
Total w3: 1.32 g
Sodium 0.12 g (120 mg) Selenium 28 mcg, 50% of the DA
iodine 75 mcg, or 60 percent of the DA, Vit E 10 mg Vit D 1.25 mcg , 50 IU Vit 12 0.88 mcg, or 65 percent of the DA, Vit B9 60 mcg, or 30 percent of the DA.

Here is an excerpt of an article I recently wrote, in French
Les œufs
La composition en acides aminés de l’œuf de poule est considérée comme idéale par les nutritionnistes.
L’œuf est une bonne source de matières grasses et contient en outre de la vitamine A (10 % AJR), vit D 9 %, Sélénium 45 %, vit B (B2 B5 B6 B9 B12), du fer et de la choline, un nutriment important pour la bonne santé des nerfs et du foie.
- PLG pour un œuf de poule de taille moyenne d’env. 55-60 g : 6,7/5,9/0,4
NDLR : Le rapport w6/3 dépend du mode d’élevage : élevage en liberté, nourri avec un apport de lin ou non.
NDLR2 : Quand je mange 2 œufs au petit déj (P12), je complète avec une autre source de protéine afin d’obtenir un bon score d’acides aminés anabolisés (AAA). Quand la majorité des acides aminés est métabolisée / anabolisée, il y a moins de perte (catabolisme, NNU = Net Nitrogen Utilization).
La synthèse des protéines en muscles nécessite un apport minimal, sinon il y aura conversion en calories. Le seuil minimal est de 15 g et dépend surtout de l’apport de l’acide aminé L-leucine (2 gr min, 3 gr optimal). Le seuil optimal est atteint avec 24 g de protéines. Inutile de dépasser 30 – 35 g de protéines par repas car nous ne les assimilerons pas, sauf s’il y a un apport d’enzymes extérieurs.
=> Translation:
The synthesis of muscle protein requires a minimal input, otherwise there will be conversion in calories. The minimum threshold is 15 g and mainly depends on the intake of the amino acid L-leucine (2 g min, 3 gr optimal). The optimal threshold is reached with 24 g of protein. Needless to exceed 30-35 grams of protein per meal because we do not assimilate, unless there is a supply of external enzymes.

The chickens we get here in US, the pastured chickens, are always given feed. I have no doubt about it as I've actually visited the farms and seen it.

cats

I haven't tried this myself, but you could try cooking milk at a very low temperature - just enough to evaporate the water. I'm sure you could get rid of half the water and it would still be drinkable.

tara

I missed that it was the liquid in milk that was bothering you. If you don't have any intolerance to it, then condensed milk as cats suggested, or farmers cheese (very easy to make) or other cheeses can be options.

A 200g piece of meat is at least 60g of protein. It's just a standard size.
More like 20% protein, ~40g?