Getting A High Amount Of Protein Without Milk?

BobbyDukes

I missed that it was the liquid in milk that was bothering you. If you don't have any intolerance to it, then condensed milk as cats suggested, or farmers cheese (very easy to make) or other cheeses can be options.

More like 20% protein, ~40g?

Don't know. I think I was just giving a rough idea (and perhaps didn't mean to make the statement as if I was stating it as an actual fact) in order to try and make the point intended in my post. It seems more like 50g-60g of protein to me, through typing the 200g into cronometer (for various meat sources). Also just by what I read on the packets. I honestly don't know.

jyb

I use parmesan if I need to add more protein (the traditional one, from Italy -- very easy to find in the UK). Unlike many cheeses which can sit in the stomach for hours or feel heavy, I find parmesan VERY easy to digest. As a little bonus, the traditional parmesan is also high in copper as it is prepared in copper tanks. And parmesan has decent salt too, obviously. Funny how no one talks about parmesan any more on this forum, a few years ago a lot were raving about it and that's how I first started consuming blocks of parmesan, probably this shift can be explained by the more recent mood against fat (parmesan is full fat). Ray was recommending it because the traditional one is made with animal rennet only, making it less allergenic than most other cheeses. I am not affected by allergens but I do care about perfect digestibility and convenience -- parmesan tops the list because it seems to dissolve fast in the stomach, is high in protein, calcium, salt, maybe copper, and does not need cooking. As far as I'm aware, only proteins powders and possibly eggs come close in terms of convenience.

Last edited:

CKA

Yea, it's great but to get significant protein from real parm reggiano, you'd be getting a lot of fat cals with it and spending a LOT of $.

jyb

Yea, it's great but to get significant protein from real parm reggiano, you'd be getting a lot of fat cals with it and spending a LOT of $.

Quality is rarely cheap nor easy to find. Parmesan is the only dairy product I consider safe to consume in the average grocery store, I have to get my cream and whole milk from elsewhere. I do not view parmesan as expensive but very CHEAP, considering that half a block could cover the large part of a meal (and you'd expect to spend a few dollars per meal, right?). But I don't know how much it costs to get the Italian parmesan in the US nor how easy it is to find it there.

Last edited:

CKA

It's not too hard to find but it is indeed pretty pricey in the states.

I have probably been protein deficient for the last year if not more of my life.

I have found the easiest way to achieve a goal of 100 g's a day is through protein powders. Ray Peat's comment on them is this "Powdered foods that contain tryptophan are extremely susceptible to harmful oxidation, and the best things are removed, for example calcium, lactose, and casein, with its anti-stress properties."

Despite that, I think short term use can be applicable, especially for those busy days.

CKA

I put grassfed, cold-filtered whey in my milk. I get plenty calcium/lactose/casein. I need less liquid this way too.

raypeatclips

Quality is rarely cheap nor easy to find. Parmesan is the only dairy product I consider safe to consume in the average grocery store, I have to get my cream and whole milk from elsewhere. I do not view parmesan as expensive but very CHEAP, considering that half a block could cover the large part of a meal (and you'd expect to spend a few dollars per meal, right?). But I don't know how much it costs to get the Italian parmesan in the US nor how easy it is to find it there.

What supermarket parmesan do you eat btw, jyb?

jyb

What supermarket parmesan do you eat btw, jyb?

It shouldn't matter because they are probably all imported from the same places in Italy -- they all have animal rennet and the same cheesemaking process because the label is protected by law. That said, I get the parmesan which is not sold in tight transparent plastic but rather those sold in triangular boxes as I do what I can to minimise plastic contamination. Both versions are common and it's not difficult to find the boxed version on the high street even in small stores.

mt_dreams

It shouldn't matter because they are probably all imported from the same places in Italy -- they all have animal rennet and the same cheesemaking process because the label is protected by law. That said, I get the parmesan which is not sold in tight transparent plastic but rather those sold in triangular boxes as I do what I can to minimise plastic contamination. Both versions are common and it's not difficult to find the boxed version on the high street even in small stores.

Yes parmesan is one of the 5-10 common cheeses that is protected by law. Unfortunately companies have found a way around this. In an attempt to increase profits, several companies have been caught using carrageenan or other fibers in with the grated cheese. I don't think this will be an issue with block parmesan, but these days you never know.. due to the fact I don't own a grater, I usually go to my local cheese shop to have them grate it up infront of me if I plan on using it that way.

jyb

Yes parmesan is one of the 5-10 common cheeses that is protected by law. Unfortunately companies have found a way around this. In an attempt to increase profits, several companies have been caught using carrageenan or other fibers in with the grated cheese. I don't think this will be an issue with block parmesan, but these days you never know.. due to the fact I don't own a grater, I usually go to my local cheese shop to have them grate it up infront of me if I plan on using it that way.

carrageenan? I assume you are in the US. Avoiding carrageenan is fairly easy in other places. I don't know about grated cheese.

mt_dreams

carrageenan? I assume you are in the US. Avoiding carrageenan is fairly easy in other places. I don't know about grated cheese.

close enough, I live in canada. I believe at least half of the grated cheese companies in the US were caught using wood in there products (not caragenan like I stated above). thankfully I live in a nice european centric neighborhood with a couple of dedicated cheese shops to choose from which stock mostly european cheeses. I remember trying kraft grated parmesan when I was in the US and didn't have options, it was barely passable as cheese. everything about it was subpar.

cats

There are also the European "Protected Designation of Origin" labelled cheeses which are required to be produced using traditional methods, which might preclude the use of microbial enzymes and other junk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals