Gerolsteiner now $2.69 at Whole Foods. WTF. Up from $2 in the last 8 months.

VitoScaletta

You'd get a lot more minerals from OJ

I only use water for hydration (can be easy to be dehydrated on Ray Peat diet, even if you drink a lot of liquids, because of the high sugar and salt) and cooking.
What minerals do you want to get from water?

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

You'd get a lot more minerals from OJ

I only use water for hydration (can be easy to be dehydrated on Ray Peat diet, even if you drink a lot of liquids, because of the high sugar and salt) and cooking.
What minerals do you want to get from water?

Magnesium was always a concern, hence the need to drink water with high mineral content like Gerolsteiner.

-Luke-

I don't live that far from Gerolstein. Maybe I'll fill a few (glass) bottles right at the source and send it to you guys in the US. :drinkingbuddies

Can you buy the Slovenian water Donat in the U.S.? 1g of mg per liter.

Jennifer

have you considered a pitcher filter and a bag of epsom salt and calcium carbonate? you are using water shipped from germany to water your plants

I have but nothing makes them grow like the Gerolsteiner. I go through 1 bottle every two weeks and since most of the food I buy comes from local farms and orchards, I’m okay with it.

Mito

Are there any other widely accepted pieces of research that demonstrate this is true for Gerolsteiner, especially the one in glass?
iirc the study was on the glass bottle version. gerolsteiner’s response to it was a joke.
Of all the lots tested, only one was packaged in glass rather than plastic: Gerolsteiner (NV No. AC-51-07269). While these samples revealed microplastic contamination, they did so at lower level as compared to the other lots (Table 1, 2). Further, we tested the same brand of water but packaged in plastic instead of glass (Gerolsteiner, 07.142018 2). While both of these packaged waters have the same water source, there was considerably less microplastic contamination within the water bottled in glass as compared to that packaged in plastic (204 vs. 1410 MPP/L, respectively). This indicates that some of the microplastic contamination is likely coming from the water source, but a larger contribution might be originating from the packaging itself.
1693B8BA-BFB8-4183-A530-28193405970B.jpeg

Last edited:

VitoScaletta

Magnesium was always a concern, hence the need to drink water with high mineral content like Gerolsteiner.
I used to drink water for minerals aswell but it's not really sensical.

Here are my go-to foods for Magnesium (copied from a different post): Buckwheat, ripe fruits and fruit juice (they dont have much but it adds up), dark chocolate (ideally get one which is 70%-90% and with only cane sugar, choco butter and choco beans), dates, dark green leafy vegetables (Swiss Chard, Kale) boiled for 20 minutes and eaten with some coconut oil (for absorption of the Vit K.).
Also the water you boil the vegetables is good aswell, it will concentrate Magnesium and Calcium (in theory). Get a pound of them and boil them for 30-40 minutes, midway add a tiny bit of Sodium BiCarbonate to negate some of the Oxalic Acid. You can throw out the actual leaves if you'd like and just drink the water, or eat them. Be sure to wash the leaves well before boiling them.
Coffee should have a decent amount aswell but i wouldn't treat coffee as food, more as a medicine or a drug, do I wouldn't drink with the purpose of achieving nutrient needs.

buckwheat is a really good source, also very delicious when eaten with oxtail soup, or on its own with salt and butter.

GTW

Gerolsteiner is relatively high in Na and sulfate, I think.
Best available in my opinion is San Benedetto. San Pellegrino if not.

Summer

Whole Foods own Italian still water was 99 cents two years ago. Now just over two dollars.

rayfan1

have you considered a pitcher filter and a bag of epsom salt and calcium carbonate? you are using water shipped from germany to water your plants
Can you please explain the ratios to mix this? My tap water is awful but I dont want expensive bulky filters as I live in a rented apt. How do you store this after mixing?

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Gerolsteiner is relatively high in Na and sulfate, I think.
Best available in my opinion is San Benedetto. San Pellegrino if not.

Thanks for the recommendation. I like the taste of San Pellegrino a lot. It doesn't have a ton of magnesium and that's why I was gravitating towards Gerolsteiner,

noodlecat

PPM of what, chlorine, fluoride? The water where I live comes from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir.
im not sure if chlorine gets measured by that.
Of all the lots tested, only one was packaged in glass rather than plastic: Gerolsteiner (NV No. AC-51-07269). While these samples revealed microplastic contamination, they did so at lower level as compared to the other lots (Table 1, 2). Further, we tested the same brand of water but packaged in plastic instead of glass (Gerolsteiner, 07.142018 2). While both of these packaged waters have the same water source, there was considerably less microplastic contamination within the water bottled in glass as compared to that packaged in plastic (204 vs. 1410 MPP/L, respectively). This indicates that some of the microplastic contamination is likely coming from the water source, but a larger contribution might be originating from the packaging itself.
View attachment 35753
ah ok thanks for posting it and correcting me and refreshing my memory.

noodlecat

Can you please explain the ratios to mix this? My tap water is awful but I dont want expensive bulky filters as I live in a rented apt. How do you store this after mixing?
i only use it for orange juice from concentrate which I had 1/8 tspoon baking soda and 1/8 - 1/4 tspoon epsom salt crystal per 650ml. the pitcher is convenient, just pour what you need and replace the water volume from the tap, it only takes a few minutes to filter.

mrchibbs

dude gerolsteiner ranked as one of the highest plastic contaminated water available. something in their bottling process taints it. i used to drink it all the time but what is the point? do you know they remove the salts and carbonation and put it back in again to maintain a consistent product? maybe get a water filter and some epsom salt and a carbonation machine if you want mineral water.

Gerolsteiner comes in glass bottles where I live

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Price is $3.70 now at Whole Foods. I stopped buying it after the first price hike.